Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Agree/disagree

scrubsrulez

[41]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    Ram_1: Agree. One of the funniest (let me amend it) short guest appearances (i.e. the show does not center around them in any way). "And it seems to me that you WERE on a break" hilarious.

Ting13: Agree. TOW No one's ready or any other episodes where all the Friends are brought together usually rank up there near the top. I dunno about TOW massapequa though. Although that one focused too much on Carter and not on the Friends.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scrubsrulez

[42]Jul 5, 2006
    Agree/disagree?

In TOW the flashback, the Monica/Chandler towl rubbing moment is not enough of an "almost" moment to qualify in the flashback.

very_berry

[43]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    Disagree

In TOW Ross and Monicas cousin, it was unrealistic that Phoebe was attracted by the hair flick.

that70sshow2000

[44]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 15
    Agree and disagree. Phoebe is attracted to some weird stuff (ie, old men, Jack Gellar while drinking condensed milk, etc), but still---she isn't a lesbian. Still, it was only in a tag scene for two seconds and, even so, it happened during season 7---my least favorite season.

In TOW the Videotape when Joey said, "Look, I gotta go---I have a date", while helping out Ross with his sex problem was a funny line. I think because here Ross is trying so hard to have sex and it had been six months, and Joey just slips in the fact he has to go b/c he has a date so casually like it's no big deal---just part of his daily routine. Plus five minutes before he said "The sky's blue, Ross, and I had sex yesterday."

Marta Kaufmann also thinks it was funny, but none of the other writers did.

b2theobby7

[45]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 1

Agree/Disagree. It's not that funny, but it does make sense. I guess it's justĀ for easy laughers...

Ross and Rachel were on a break.

Edited on 07/05/2006 5:03pm

that70sshow2000

[46]Jul 5, 2006
    She said, "I don't know, ahh, maybe we should just take a break!" Then Ross walked out, went to that bar, danced with Chloe, slept with Chloe. He was definitely, without a doubt, in the wrong.

However...They were not officially on a break. Going on a break means both parties have discussed it calmly and both come to the decision that it's best if they be apart for awhile. Rachel just said it randomly in a fight (and she even said 'maybe...'). Ross just stormed out, instead of talking to her about it. Had it stayed and talked, they could've reached an understanding and avoided everything.

So, disagree---they were not on a break.

David and Phoebe actually make a better couple.

very_berry

[47]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    Disagree..i think Mike and Phoebe were more suited for eachother

Ross had no right to not give Rachel her message from "Bill from the bar"

Ting13

[48]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 19
    Agree. It's not up to him to decide whether or not she dates.

It was weird that Monica thought Chandler never wanted to get married in the season six finally, when the two of them almost did get married a year earlier.

scrubsrulez

[49]Jul 6, 2006
    On the Ross Rachel thing - wow good one. You could probably devote an entire thread to this topic. I think in Rachel's mind, they were NOT on a break because it was just another fight that she thought they would get over. She just needed time to cool off, call Ross, and make up with him. On the other hand, Ross DID think they were on a break, or even worse thought that they were broken up. This is understandable because Ross is overdramatic AND he is used to being let down in relationships (because of Carol) so he was kind of expecting to lose Rachel in the same way. Ross is one of those people that likes to believe life always wants to screw him over - basically a pessimist. So he goes straight into break-up mode: gets drunk and sleeps with someone else.

Basically, it begs the question of what is important in a relationship. Objectively, they were on a break: Rachel said it, so it must be. But objective facts are not always important in a relationship (esp not to women); what was more important was what Rachel felt, and it was clear that she still had feelings for Ross. Knowing this, Ross should have gone home and waited for this fight to blow over.

Ting13

[50]Jul 6, 2006
    I can't help but join in the R&R discussion for a sec...

Rachel was the one who took the break, and she said that they were on a break on a number of times when they first broke up. I don't think the question really is whether or not they were on a break, but whether or not that makes it okay to sleep with other people. A break can mean many different things, and Rachel surely didn't mean that they should see other people. In short, they were on a break, but that doesn't give Ross the right to cheat.

On the other hand, Ross was jealous of Mark, and that's what caused the argument on their anniversary. When he called Rachel that night she had Mark in her apartment. Considering the situation, letting Mark come over was probably the least smart thing for Rachel to do, and I can understand how Ross took it the way that he did and that he went as far as sex with Chloe.

That would be my brief two cents... on to the rest of the game
    Edited on 07/06/2006 12:54pm

scrubsrulez

[51]Jul 6, 2006
    I disagree with your definition of a break. A break always means you get to sleep with other people. Breaks are usually situational: we're both focusing on our careers right now, so let's take a break; I'm going to live in Paris for a year, let's take a break until I get back; we're both going to college so let's take a break and see what happens afterwards. It basically means that you don't want to work through whatever problems you have in the rest of your life, so any relationships/one-night stands that might occur during that time are forgiven if you get back together later. Rachel did definitely sound like she wanted one of the above breaks, but she clearly didn't mean it. It's about reading people. Ross claims to be good at poker, but is completely inept at reading people in real life. He should have realized that Rachel wanted to take a break because she couldn't handle Ross's jealousy since it was getting in the way of her career. That didn't mean that she didn't want to be with him, just that he was making things too hard for her. The reason Mark was there was clearly to comfort Rachel because she was having a hard time about the fight; very few people would be so uncaring as to cheat on you, lie to your face about it, invoke the "trust" card (we have to trust each other for this to work), break up with you, then invite the person they were cheating on you with over immediately afterwards. Something clearly didn't add up there. If Ross had at least confronted Rachel about why Mark was over and gave her a chance to explain (if he had caught her in a lie, at least he'd get some satisfaction out of hearing her explanation) or if he had the common sense to understand where Rachel was coming from, none of the stupidness would have happened.

Ting13

[52]Jul 6, 2006
    I disagree on the definition of a break... IMO a break can also mean that we take some time to think about what we want, but we're not seeing other people.

And honestly, if I were Ross, I would have been pretty angry with finding out that Mark was there. He was really jealous of Mark, and lets Rachel know exactly how jealous he is. Then Rachel says she wants to take a break, and when Ross calls her Mark is there. It doesn't matter how innocent his being there is, all Ross knows is that he's made his feelings clear to Rachel and she still lets Mark come over. On their anniversary no less. I can definitely understand how he would think she took that break to get a chance to explore what might happen with Mark. Ross says in the following episode that he let things go so far with Chloe because he thought Rachel was sleeping with Mark. I'm not saying I think what Ross did was right, but I do understand how he was reasoning.

But perhaps this topic should have a thread of its own... so that the game can continue.

scrubsrulez

[53]Jul 6, 2006
    Lol, perhaps.

Rachel for the record did LET Mark come over, but she definitely did not invite him. Mark obviously had a thing for her and basically said, "you're in trouble, I'm coming over right now." So yeah, I guess Ross was kind of right about Mark. It's not say that they both didn't make mistakes, but Ross's mistake was obviously much larger.

Agree/disagree
    All three of Ross's failed marriages were his fault.

weezie_Y

[54]Jul 6, 2006
    Not entirely so I disagree.

Agree/Disagree:

Ross and Rachel should have stay married and not get the divorce.

that70sshow2000

[55]Jul 6, 2006
    Disagree---they weren't in love then. Well Ross was, but not Rachel.

About the three marriages being Ross's fault---the first one with Carol certainly wasn't in the least. His five-minute marriage to Emily was defintely 100% his fault. And his "marriage" to Rachel in season 6 was half his fault---the other half, Rachel's.

Anyway.... The best episode in season 2 was TOW the Prom Video.

weezie_Y

[56]Jul 6, 2006
    Agree

The show should have had a 11th season.

Ting13

[57]Jul 7, 2006
    Disagree

They should have had Phoebe sing her songs more often in the last seasons

scrubsrulez

[58]Jul 7, 2006
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    Disagree---they weren't in love then. Well Ross was, but not Rachel.

About the three marriages being Ross's fault---the first one with Carol certainly wasn't in the least. His five-minute marriage to Emily was defintely 100% his fault. And his "marriage" to Rachel in season 6 was half his fault---the other half, Rachel's.

Anyway.... The best episode in season 2 was TOW the Prom Video.

Emily definitely was 100% his fault. Marrying Rachel was also Ross's fault. He drew the beard on her face that caused them to get drunk that caused them to get married. And certainly the failure to get it annuled was his fault. The last one is arguable; I would argue that Ross turned Carol gay by being a boring husband.

scrubsrulez

[59]Jul 7, 2006
    Ting13 wrote:
    Disagree

They should have had Phoebe sing her songs more often in the last seasons

I would rather they showed Phoebe being strangled with her own guitar strings than have to listen to phoebe sing one more of her stupid songs.

In season 10, Joey is the wealthiest of the Friends.

backinblack17

[60]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 1
    Agree.

Too many seasons ended with a Ross/Rachel plotline.