Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Bad IDEA!

strat_boy

[1]Aug 21, 2010
    • level: 12

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the Friends say that Friends hooking up is a bad idea, but, they never said a word when Ross and Rachel hooked up, and nothing when Chandler and Monica hooked up.

Anyone noticed or is it just me?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[2]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 32
    The only time I remember them really saying that explicitally was when Rachel kept telling Monica she wanted to hookup with Joey and Monica kept saying it was a bad idea. Rachel mentioned how she did it with Chandler and she was like yeah but I was drunk, I didnt go out of my way to do it. I think she just didnt want to see 2 of her friends get hurt in case it didnt work out, if it didnt work out with her and Chandler, they could just say it was the alcohol LOL. Other than that I cant really remember them saying that. I remember when Monica thought Phoebe wanted to hookup with Joey because he had a crush on her (that ended up being Rachel), Monica was quite happy about the possible couple.

strat_boy

[3]Aug 24, 2010
    • level: 12
    Chandler and Rachel didn't do it, they just kissed, but still, no one blinked when Ross/Rachel began.

stellarchick86

[4]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 32
    strat_boy wrote:
    Chandler and Rachel didn't do it, they just kissed, but still, no one blinked when Ross/Rachel began.

No, I meant Rachel mentioned to Monica that her and Chandler hooked up and she said yeah but we were drunk and stupid. When Rachel was considering hooking up with Ross, youre right, they were pretty pleased about the idea. I think the difference is that she knew they were looking for a relationship where as Rachel and Joey just wanted to fool around.

survivorgal

[5]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 10

I think what she meant by that is that friends hooking up and not having it mean anything is a big deal. When Chandler and Monica first got together they kept it a secret but it developed into a relationship and Ross and Rachel were a relationship as well. Rachel was planning, as far as I took it, to have a one-night stand with Joey and then think that it would just remain casual. However when it is your friend, it will never be just casual.

Peterb3291

[6]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 8
    survivorgal wrote:

I think what she meant by that is that friends hooking up and not having it mean anything is a big deal. When Chandler and Monica first got together they kept it a secret but it developed into a relationship and Ross and Rachel were a relationship as well. Rachel was planning, as far as I took it, to have a one-night stand with Joey and then think that it would just remain casual. However when it is your friend, it will never be just casual.

I completely agree. At least that's what I always interpreted that as.