Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

"Central Perk Coffeehouse" - The Official Off-Topic Thread

grace87

[101]May 13, 2008
    • level: 34
    I love Desperate Housewives!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aremex

[102]May 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    grace87 wrote:
    me too!!!

hey think about it, what could've happened if there were a writers strike during the time friends was aired?
    we could have had a short season like many shows had this year and that would suck!

stupid unions ruined my winter!

grace87

[103]May 13, 2008
    • level: 34
    aremex wrote:
    grace87 wrote:
    me too!!!

hey think about it, what could've happened if there were a writers strike during the time friends was aired?
    we could have had a short season like many shows had this year and that would suck!

stupid unions ruined my winter!

Yeah.. that would have suck.. You are right.. those strikers really ruined lots of TV series this year!

yousifaltaha

[104]May 16, 2008
    • level: 7
    i still dont understand why did the strike made the seasons shorter,they just could have increase the length of the seasons

aremex

[105]May 17, 2008
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    i still dont understand why did the strike made the seasons shorter,they just could have increase the length of the seasons
    i wish they had done that too, but i'm pretty sure the have a fixed schedule, which means may is the finales time and then begins the summer shows season which is pretty dry anyway or maybe they could've extended the season who knows...

NJZ

[106]May 18, 2008
    • level: 29
    aremex wrote:
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    i wish they had done that too, but i'm pretty sure the have a fixed schedule, which means may is the finales time and then begins the summer shows season which is pretty dry anyway or maybe they could've extended the season who knows...

I think you're right. There's a certain schedule. All fall shows tend to finish in May (or earlier). And in May they have the Upfronts where the networks showcase their new fall shows and cancel some shows. Then there's the drull that is known as the summer lineup and then we're back to fall shows. It has to be that way, I'm sure, because of when people can work and that. A lot of actors tend to spend the summer working on other movies/projects and that wouldn't be possible if they'd have to work til June/July extending their shows.

aremex

[107]May 19, 2008
    even more that that.
    the creators of lost talked about the breaks in the season of every show, which i'm sure you have noticed if you follow all-new episodes.
    there are 3-4 periods in a season, during which, a cluster of new episodes will be aired. these periods are (roughly): sep-oct, jan-feb, april-may. the rest of the time is more likely to have breaks/reruns than all-new episodes.

shriprema

[108]May 20, 2008
    • level: 21
    they could have gotten round this by just including the episodes that were meant to be produced ALONG with the next season...to get around the duration problem, next season they could clump 2 episodes together for like 3 weeks, and then they can go back to their original programming

e.g. If the show "Odyssey of Shriprema" was supposed to have 22 episodes for Season 1, but because of the strike, only 18 were aired, the remaining four episodes of this Emmy-winning show could be aired with Season 2.

That means if Season 2 was intended to have 22 episodes, it would now have 26 episodes, and for the first 4 weeks, TWO episodes would air back-to-back.

They could make prime-time programming a bit earlier for these 4 weeks, but at least you're giving the fans what they want.

Just a pondering.

aremex

[110]May 21, 2008
    good point. or should i say good pondering

but i'm afraid it's not that easy.
    the network orders a certain amount of episodes every year (usually), and the crew has to deliver. i remember times that they didn't have the time to and the season got shorter - with no strike at all...
    this is because some shows require a lot of time to produce an episode - keep in mind that there are ~52 weeks a year, and there might be 24 episodes in a season, that gives a little more than 2 weeks to produce an episode. that is without summer break. i'm not saying the whole production process has to take 2 weeks, because it's working a lot like a production line. each crew does it's work and moves it on to the next crew: from writing to props and setting and then filming and then editing and music etc. but, each level has to take no more than 2 weeks, so it doesn't delay the rest of the process, and if the production is stuck at one point, that's a problem. also, because the entire process is more than 2 weeks, they have to start the first episode earlier.

this is not true for all shows. this might be true for lost and 24 (which canceled this year's season btw, exactly for that reason) for instance, but i know south park has managed to produce an episode from scratch 3 days before the air date (i think it was "quest for rating" in season8 ). and of course soaps don't have those problems

shriprema

[111]May 21, 2008
    ^^^But since this is a once-in-a-while thing (i dont think we can foresee another strike soon), will it really put a toll on studios, if they burnt the midnight oil to churn out the pre-ordered episodes?

Good point about soaps I bet out of the 1 hour, they only act for 15 minutes, while the rest of the 45 minutes are simply different angles of the same shot

kodabear911

[112]May 22, 2008
    • level: 10
    I think it might be the other way around. The way I see it is, that, if a 1/2 hour show roughly has about 22-23 mins of actual show time, then an hour long show has about 44 minutes for the show (maybe not totally true, I'm judging this proportionately). So, if they have 44 mins. for a storyline to take place, and about 16 minutes for commercials and stuff, then thats probably about 10-15 minutes of editing and music crap like that. If this is true, then there's about 30-35 minutes of acting, 10-15 of special stuffs, and probably 15-16 minutes of commercials. (btw, I understand you were kinda joking, but it made me think about it so I wrote my thoughts here!)

aremex

[114]May 22, 2008
    i believe you're talking about soaps now, not regular serious shows. right?

about soaps, we know that many of them are aired daily, so what i think is that they have to write and film different scenes simultaneously, and i think it helps that they involve a lot of characters, so each one doesn't appear much in the same day=episode (as opposed to friends for instance), and one given episode might have several directors for different scenes and so on...

shriprema

[115]May 23, 2008
    RoJoChan wrote:
    Just an update from my February post: The new F*R*I*E*N*D*S book is on sale now for $7.99 at www.coffeehousewisdom.com or www.coffeehousewisdom.biz.

You are advertising this book (since you made a thread for it AND posted here), which is against Tv.com's Terms of Service. You can get moderated for this.

cutieflutie1216

[116]May 23, 2008
    • level: 50
    shriprema wrote:
    RoJoChan wrote:
    Just an update from my February post: The new F*R*I*E*N*D*S book is on sale now for $7.99 at www.coffeehousewisdom.com or www.coffeehousewisdom.biz.

You are advertising this book (since you made a thread for it AND posted here), which is against Tv.com's Terms of Service. You can get moderated for this.

That is true. But since this is just a friendly reminder about a Friends book, I wasn't going to say anything.

frostzZ

[118]May 26, 2008
    • level: 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz-pzlKEdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNPamnp0to&feature=related

lol guys watch these video,love monica
    Edited on 05/26/2008 4:38am

sadweekan

[119]May 27, 2008
    • level: 3
    frostzZ wrote:

lool "help me unzip" hilllarious

shriprema

[120]May 31, 2008
    sadweekan wrote:
    frostzZ wrote:

lool "help me unzip" hilllarious

she should have said it faster, to make that quote stand out as the punchline.

But hilarious nonetheless