Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Discuss That Episode - The One with the East German Laundry Detergent (1x05)

cutieflutie1216

[1]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 50
    This episode is one of my favorites from the first season. The Ross and Rachel subplot helped setup the their impending relationship for the first time. I loved Rachel's newfound confidence discovered in this episode. Her interactions with that laundry hag were hilarious. Of course Ross's awkwardness was classic. I also enjoy the Joey and Monica subplot. Once Monica discovers she is being used, she has no qualms tearing the other couple apart. I think this is the first real example of classic Monica behavior. And finally, an unforgettable introduction to Janice. Oh, my God!
    Edited on 08/21/2008 10:05am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cutieflutie1216

[2]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 50

Monica: Would you let it go? It's not that big a deal.
    Ross
    : Not that big a deal? It's amazing. Okay, you just reach in there, there's one little maneuver, and bam, a bra right out the sleeve. All right, as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing a guy can do that even comes close. Am I right?
    Rachel
    : Come on! You guys can pee standing up.
    Chandler
    : We can? All right, I'm trying that.
    Joey
    : Okay, you know what blows my mind? Women can see breasts any time they want. You just look down and there they are. How you get any work done is beyond me.
    Phoebe
    : Oh, okay, you know what I don't get? The way guys can do so many mean things, and then not even care.

luvpuff

[3]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    OMG!-when ross bangs his head, lol!!

loveindubitably

[4]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 9
    This is one of my favorite episodes of Season 1 I love all the pairings in this episode, of course R/R. Joey/Monica always have hilarious scenes together but I really loved the Phoebe/Chandler scenes the most in this episode.

MisterMatthews

[5]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 5

I didn't care much for the Joey-Monica plot, but I absolutely loved the Phoebe-Chandler storyline. I always enjoy seeing them working together (perhaps because it happens so little throughout the series). Since this is the beginning of the series, it's Chandler who's belittling Phoebe with sarcastic comments and not the other way around (like in later years). Janice is a great recurring character and she was played perfectly by Maggie Wheeler. This episode is her first appearance and is also the beginning of Chandler's problems with commitment. Drinking cup after cup, he gets more and more nervous and it's hilarious how he's behaving; especially at the end, where he's running around: "I'm free! I'm free!"

Also good was the Ross-Rachel storyline; the main reason fans remember this episode, I think. The funniest moment is when Rachel kisses Ross, and he then wants to walk away, hits his head on one of the laundrymachine's open doors, falls down and *immediately* stands up again!

Elwingda

[6]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 10

Yeah, this is one of my Season 1 favourites too. It's totally based on breaking up and getting together (three pairs getting together, three pairs breaking up if I remember correctly).

The Rachel/Ross relationship starts to flow and it is fairly certain to the audience that something will happen between them at some point.

I also enjoyed the Monica/Joey subplot although I found it slightly strange that after they had managed to break up the couple and take the pieces to themselves, they are never seen together with these "pieces" anymore.

I didn't actually like the Chandler/Phoebe thing that much but of course, the introduction of Janice makes it better and it fits nicely into the overall pattern of the episode.

rebachick94

[7]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 16
    I love love love this episode. The Ross and Rachel moments are too cute! It's the first episode that they kiss in.

shelley06

[8]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 21

Definitely one of my top 3 season 1 episodes.

I love Pheobe and Chandler's interaction and the introduction to Janice!

Monica and Joey's story was pretty good--it was interesting seeing those two together, without Chandler or others.

Ross & Rachel's subplot was also great! Rachel was so much more likeable then, IMO; and Ross hitting his head was hilarious. He was flawless.

ihoppers_cheska

[9]Aug 15, 2008
    When one says "Ross and Rachel's first kiss" people always think of the episode where Ross Finds Out. Yea it's true.. it was their first REAL kiss... but this episode is what I think of. oh and.. "MULTIPLE ORGASMS!!!!" yes. that one ended that debate EASILY. hahaha

ben-the-hen

[10]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    I felt that this episode wasn't good at all.

My favourite episode of season 1 is 1x03 TOW the Thumb.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Bananahamock

[11]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    Yeah, it was great, cause it was some kind of the beginning of Ross And Rachel...

Bliss_West88

[12]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 19
    I love this episode too, R/R are so cute and i love how he tyrs to make her feel better about her clothes going pink LOL!! and then at the end Phoebe saying she is so doing lo LOL!!!

I didn't love the Joey/Monica part but they were alright, but i did love the whole chanlder phoebe scenes, i actually like most of their scenes together, i think they have great chemistry!

But i think we all know this is a R/R episode!! him banging his head is still hilarious even watching it now LOL!

grace87

[13]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 34
    I like this episode.. but it's not my fave from season 1.. It has pretty funny moment though!

xxsitcomsxx

[14]Sep 8, 2008
    So so so funny!! !

ROSS: MULTIPLE ORGASMS!! !

Really makes me laugh! !
    I miss it! !
    XxkissessxX

Emina_I

[15]Sep 8, 2008
    I love that episode especially the part in the laundry:"Uberveiss. It's new, it's German, it's extra-tough", and Chandler was great with his break up so funny!

banannie

[16]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 22

It's a great episode, I agree.

Of course, the Ross and Rachel part is legendary. She's beginning to become independent and Ross... lol simply a fool in love.

The Monica/Joey storyline is fun and indicates her true nature.

Well, and then there's the Chandler/Phoebe/how to break up thing... hilarious. "Janice, Janice, oh Janice" haha I just love him drinking cup after cup, becoming more and more hyperactive... And then there's Janice. "Oh my god"...one of the most annoying and at the same time most lovable recurring roles in Friends.

xdamethyst

[17]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    I agree that it is one of the favorite episodes in season one. In this episode, I was surprised that Rachel, whom I never saw quarreling with anybody, was really enraged by that annoying woman in the laundry room. From a girl who used to live on her father's credit cards to start washing her clothe by herself, she changed a lot. I think economic independence will give people a sense of safety both materially and spiritually. But of course she can not do that without friends' support. Ross, a typical intellectual, always makes mistakes like what he did in this episode, especially whenever he is with Rachel. He is very sweet. Ross and Rachel break up, and then get back with each other so many times that I already got sick of them a little bit. I'd rather their love story was smooth. But I like all of these 6 cute people, though.

babe02

[18]Dec 12, 2008
    This is one f the cutest episodes, and it is the REAL beggning of Ross and Rachel which makes it so special in the first place.

hawksie

[19]Dec 31, 2008
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:

Monica: Would you let it go? It's not that big a deal.
    Ross
    : Not that big a deal? It's amazing. Okay, you just reach in there, there's one little maneuver, and bam, a bra right out the sleeve. All right, as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing a guy can do that even comes close. Am I right?
    Rachel
    : Come on! You guys can pee standing up.
    Chandler
    : We can? All right, I'm trying that.
    Joey
    : Okay, you know what blows my mind? Women can see breasts any time they want. You just look down and there they are. How you get any work done is beyond me.
    Phoebe
    : Oh, okay, you know what I don't get? The way guys can do so many mean things, and then not even care.

MULTIPLE ORGASMS!!!! Haha

kira2190

[20]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 2

I love how Rachel just jumps into the laundry cart :p

Such child-like behaviour there lol