We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Friends 5 year anniversary - Movie anyone?

mukulj

[1]May 3, 2009
    • level: 2

So it may be hard to believe but May 6 marks the 5 year anniversary of the Friends series finale from 2004. I thought it would cool to give a shout out and start talking again about a possible movie.

It doesn't make sense to me why this hasn't happened yet. 'Sex and the City' which appealed to a smaller demo pulled in $150 million and 'The Simpsons' in 2007 reached $180 million. I have no doubt a 'Friends' movie could net a minumum of $250 million for reasons I have articulated in much more detail here:

http://www.mukulj.com/friends-the-movie

Can it be discussed what the hold up is? Actors? Money? None of the actors are tied to long-term project commitments and I think they need to push forward before they become irrelevant. I can't imagine Warner Brothers would have any doubt producing the film given the 'Sex and the City' success.

Thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rpgdancer

[2]May 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    I SOOOOOOOO WANT TO SEE ROSS AND RACHEL GET MARRIED... oh and for phoebe and mike to divorce so that she can be with joey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HelloStuart

[3]May 4, 2009
    • level: 63
    I think the failure of "Joey" pretty much wiped out any chances at a movie. You can't use "Sex & The City" as a template because the producers of the show had to move mountains just to get the original cast and crew involved. The series finale, while open-ended to a certain degree, tied up every loose end that the writers could've possibly resolved.

stellarchick86

[4]May 4, 2009
    • level: 32
    This gets brought up all the time and its never good. Matthew Perry was on a talkshow the other night promoting that movie hes in with Zac Efron and they brought up a Friends movie and he basically said it isnt going to happen (and he was being serious).

PiperPrueLover4

[5]May 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    HelloStuart wrote:
    I think the failure of "Joey" pretty much wiped out any chances at a movie. You can't use "Sex & The City" as a template because the producers of the show had to move mountains just to get the original cast and crew involved. The series finale, while open-ended to a certain degree, tied up every loose end that the writers could've possibly resolved.

I don't think the failure of Joey is particularly relevant here. Everybody knows why Joey failed: one Friend without the rest was always doomed for failure. But this movie would have all six of them in it.

Lisa Kudrow is already on board. I read something where she said that if they did one she would be in it, because she wouldn't want to be the one to say no and be replaced.

mukulj

[6]May 5, 2009
    • level: 2

I'm not sure if a rock solid story line is even in question. A 'Friends' movie would be an instant hit at the boxscore regardless of what they throw out there. 'Sex and the City' scored $150 million despite a 50% Rotten Tomatoes review.

Stickly from a monetary perspective, I guess I'm still trying to figure out why the actors wouldn't jump aboard this opportunity. I don't doubt they could net $10 million each on the film and Warner Brothers would still make a profit. On their 5 year anniversary away from the show, I think their window is closing pretty quickly.

Fugabutacus

[7]May 9, 2009
    • level: 10
    EXACTLY!

Make the damn movie!

xxsitcomsxx

[8]May 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I REALLY WANT A MOVIE!

I reckon, if they did, the Ross/Rachel marriage would be the storyline. All of them getting back together with Jack and Erica! !

Question: Would they use canned laughter/live studio audience laughs????
    It was a main feature of the show, would they keep it in for a movie?
    XxkissessxX

tafj73

[9]May 11, 2009
    • level: 30
    I think Jennifer Aniston is the only Friend that isn't into the movie idea.

stellarchick86

[10]May 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    ^^I dont know man it didnt seem like Matthew Perry was really into it the other night either so. If I had to guess, Id say the only people who would be really into it is Matt LeBlanc.. and probanly David Schwimmer. You could probably convince Lisa Kudrow to do it a little more than them. But the other 3 I think itd take more convincing without giving an answer right away. I just think they all want to move on, cast and crew. And they ended it so greatly (though I wouldve changed the ending line but thats ok lol) I wouldnt want to see them mess it up for the movie. I can see them breaking up R/R again just to put them back together by the end of the movie or something, its like just leave them alone already lol.

rye06p

[11]May 13, 2009
    • level: 13
    Jennifer Aniston has said numerous times on Ellen Degeneres Show that she would do a movie if she agreed with script etc.
    But she then went on to say she doesn't know how it would work as a movie because of the studio audience.
    Courtney Cox has also said on Ellen that she would be up for it.
    Lisa Kurow has said same as above.
    Matt Le Blanc, I'm not sure if he has mentioned it, but given the state of his career at the moment i think a friends reunion would really help out.
    Matthew Perry, as far as I know he is the only one to flat out say he doesn't want to do it and that it's not happening. miserable!
    David Schwimmer, I think David is on the fence. I think he would have to be convinced to do it by the cast & crew.

Personally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any type of friends reunion, on tv or a movie.

TvFreak7

[12]May 14, 2009
    • level: 26
    i would love a movie. it makes me sick that it isnt happening. Its like come on already!!! but i would be happy for just a hour tv reunion. it doesnt have to be a written reunion. just a reunion to get the cast back together and talk and have fun. like normal reunions. But a thanksgiving special would be AWESOME.!

Kadodian

[13]May 25, 2009
    • level: 23
    Who wouldn't love a Friends movie ? I really want a movie ! Do you ever wonder what the characters would be doing right now ?

seriesguy3998

[14]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 17
    Yeah, theres gotta be a movie!

benerpoo

[16]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 4

i dont understand why anyone wouldnt want a friends movie.

it would prob include everything we loved about friends and the actors are one thing but what about marta kauffman and david crane? everything really depends on them since it all came from their minds.

I WOULD REALLY LOVE A MOVIE. I WOULD LOVE IT EVEN IF IT WOULDNT BE THAT GREAT

MashyPoo

[17]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 1
    as much as i feel inclined to say no to a friends movie, it'll ruin it, take it to far blah blah blah
    i am more curious to see a slight continuation, like maybe chandler and monica's kids are slightly older now, and maybe ross and rachel have gotten married and emma's older too and maybe phoebe and mike have had kids etc and well i would just love to see joey again!
    people would definitely flock to see it, i think its the most successful sitcom EVER. hands down

rebachick94

[18]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 16
    I can't say that I wouldn't go see a Friends movie because I would, but I would rather it not be mad. Someone mentioned Sex and the City...see, I liked the movie, but they just took it too far. People want a Friends movie for the same reason that they wanted Sex and the City...to see a wedding for the epic couple. They broke up Carrie and Big in movie, and it was just really pointless. Do we really need yet ANOTHER Ross and Rachel break up? This break up has a baby involved, and it would be hard to write, a tough line to walk. In my opinion, the second Sex and the City movie is just suicide. Don't mess with a good thing, you know? Some things you just have to leave to the imaginations of the fans.

seriesguy3998

[19]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 17

rebachick94 wrote:
    I can't say that I wouldn't go see a Friends movie because I would, but I would rather it not be mad. Someone mentioned Sex and the City...see, I liked the movie, but they just took it too far. People want a Friends movie for the same reason that they wanted Sex and the City...to see a wedding for the epic couple. They broke up Carrie and Big in movie, and it was just really pointless. Do we really need yet ANOTHER Ross and Rachel break up? This break up has a baby involved, and it would be hard to write, a tough line to walk. In my opinion, the second Sex and the City movie is just suicide. Don't mess with a good thing, you know? Some things you just have to leave to the imaginations of the fans.

ok, you have a point. But it doenst have to be about Ross and Rachel getting married. I think they got married years ago. Maybe it will be about other thing, whatever the writers can come up with. Maybe Joey can come back and something big may happen. I dont know what, but maybe it would work. I dont know how would they do it, but one thing I'm sure of: I would love a friends movie!

rebachick94

[20]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 16
    seriesguy3998 wrote:

rebachick94 wrote:

ok, you have a point. But it doenst have to be about Ross and Rachel getting married. I think they got married years ago. Maybe it will be about other thing, whatever the writers can come up with. Maybe Joey can come back and something big may happen. I dont know what, but maybe it would work. I dont know how would they do it, but one thing I'm sure of: I would love a friends movie!

I'd love one too, but I have no doubt that they would have it based on Ross and Rachel's wedding, that they would break them up only to put them together again. Sex and the City isn't as close to my heart as Friends is. Carrie and Big don't have a special place in my heart the way Ross and Rachel do. Don't get me wrong, I would definately see a Friends movie if they made one. I would just rather them not. I'd hate to see a ten years series ruined in three hours by a movie. I also think they would force Joey to settle down and that would destroy his whole character. He's JOEY, someone who is not made to settle down.