Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Friends Timeline

Fugabutacus

[1]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 10

I've tried to make sense of the friends timeline, but I can't.

I've managed as much as Monica and Chandlers wedding took place in May 2001, so Emma was born around February 2002 which means the fourth episode of season 10 is set in February 2003, yet 16 episodes later it's the finale which I assumed was set in May 2004 when it aired.

Also, we know season 1 lasted 9 months and ran directly into season 2.

Anyone been able to work it out?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

loveindubitably

[2]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 9
    There are a lot of inconsistencies in the Friends timeline so it's hard to take dates/years and use them to build an actual and accurate timeline--for instance, the Friends' birthdays have been reported differently throughout the series, and things like you mentioned in your post are inexact. It's probably best to let the dates go, you'll get a headache trying to figure it out.

rebachick94

[3]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 16
    I agree. I don't think you're supposed to figure out because I don't think the writers have even figured it out.

Elwingda

[4]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 10
    rebachick94 wrote:
    I agree. I don't think you're supposed to figure out because I don't think the writers have even figured it out.
    True. With a long series like Friends it's impossible to avoid continuity errors as they sometimes have to make them if they want to get a storyline/joke to work. But yeah, I can see why some people might find it a bit annoying.

ihoppers_cheska

[5]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    the time between some episodes are just a day or an hour in FRIENDS world (while it's a week in real life).. Sometimes it's 2/3 weeks in between of each other. which probably is the reason why the timeline is so messed up. The time between each episode is inconsistent.