TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

how realistic is friends?

yousifaltaha

[1]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 7

I've seen many people say that the show is very unrealistic...and when I heard the reasons its kinda true..

-the fancy appartments that the gang live in..

-most of their time they are just sitting in the appartment or at central perk without working

-how they spend so much money (like when they always say "you wanna go to a movie?"...or when monica bought her boots or when rachel bought a $1k cat..etc,etc,etc)

so what do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

efc91

[2]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 39
    Well if the apartments were small and dull the show wouldnt feel right if you know what I mean, it brings more character to the show plus I think that the way the sit around all the time is probably in there spare time although we do see them at work nearly in every episode. Plus in a episode I cant remember which one Pheobe says to the gang "why arnt you a work its eleven o clock on a Wednesday mornig" In which most of them get up and rush to work.

Willick-Bunch

[3]Mar 26, 2008
    - Manhattan is filled with gorgeous single women. You can't go out without meeting a supermodel.

- Janice appears everywhere: on the internet chat, in the hospital, in the new house.

- There are no bird feezes in the guys apartment.

Tu sum it up: It does not include Superman and Radioactive Man - that is how far it goes :-)

A different approach: "Friends" are stories about reality - not real stories.

Edited on 03/26/2008 5:31am

shriprema

[4]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 21
    The apartments look spacious (especially Monica's one) but in reality, thats only because its lighted 24/7. Also, are they living in air-con the whole time? I rarely see the windows open.

But I wouldnt say its COMPLETELY unrealistic...i only find the living conditions too fictitious.

FriendsSvuLost8

[5]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 25
    It's tv. Most tvshows aren't totally realistic, but it's not like they run into aliens..

yousifaltaha

[6]Mar 26, 2008
    true i know its a t.v show,but the main outline of the show is six young people living in the city struggling with love and finding jobs,but really didnt represent the real life when it comes to job..although it was very nice seeing them growing up to handle commitments,getting married and having children

stellarchick86

[7]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 32
    I find some things here and there unrealistic, things you guys have said...but its a tv show and actually friends doesnt have as many as alot of other shows.

The one thing I kind of always thought was weird was how they introduced rachel. Everyone else was a sibling, friend, roomate, etc so when it came time for rachel it was like well her and monica used to be friends so lets do that..but they lost touch (which was understandable) and then she walks out on her wedding (also understandable) but then after a few years the first person she wants to talk to is monica??? When she wasnt invited to the wedding?? And then stay at her house?? I always thought that was odd.

sadweekan

[8]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 3
    also when Monica thinks that chandler "gives his jollies to jaws"...that was unrealistic,also on how phoebe can afford alot of stuff and she is just a masseur

hugsy_

[9]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 18
    Well, Duh! Sitcoms aren't supposed to be realistic in the least way. When certain dramas and other shows try to keep as much plausibility (even though they still fail), then sitcoms are just about entertaining you and making too much jokes, especially in times when a joke doesn't even blend in.

Enjoy the innocent breeze of a sitcom without the mocking about of plausibility!

FriendsSvuLost8

[10]Mar 27, 2008
    sadweekan wrote:
    also when Monica thinks that chandler "gives his jollies to jaws"...that was unrealistic,also on how phoebe can afford alot of stuff and she is just a masseur

That's because she doesn't pay taxes .

kieran3486

[11]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think the main point of friends is that its meant to be uplifting and funny. It wouldn't really work if it was realistic to the point where their apartments reflected their income. Theres no way they could afford the lifestyles they have in real life with the jobs they have. Chandler is the only one who seems to have a steady, well paid job through most of the series.

sadweekan

[12]Mar 27, 2008
    hugsy_ wrote:
    Well, Duh! Sitcoms aren't supposed to be realistic in the least way. When certain dramas and other shows try to keep as much plausibility (even though they still fail), then sitcoms are just about entertaining you and making too much jokes, especially in times when a joke doesn't even blend in.

Enjoy the innocent breeze of a sitcom without the mocking about of plausibility!

it has nothing to do with sitcoms are supposed to be unrealistic....Roseanne was realistic.all in the family was...seinfeld was..not totally realistic but more than friends..although i find friends much funnier

Willick-Bunch

[13]Mar 27, 2008
    sadweekan wrote:

it has nothing to do with sitcoms are supposed to be unrealistic....

Sitcoms have to deal with real situations, real characters - without that they get pretty boring.

FriendsSvuLost8

[14]Mar 27, 2008
    It's still a sitcom, it can pull of things dramas can't.

frostzZ

[15]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 5

sitcom=situation comedy...where does the situations come from?...from real life.

I find friends very realistic actually,they faced problems in their lives,they struggled to find a job and to find love..and just like said before they grew up throughout the series.

thats true they didnt focus on the financial status of the friends,so what? no tv show every focused on that even seinfeld (never watched roseanne and all in the family)

so maybe monica got money from her parents or from the bank and then when she found a job she payed back,and phoebe is just a big mystery...we'll never know how she could afford the money.

"they sit in the coffeehouse and the apartment":yea but in every episode they are just showing us a short period of time of their day or two..maybe they work the rest of the time,who knows?

and the shark thing?...BELIEVE ME i've heard much weirder things in real life,and im sure you did too

winkipop69

[16]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 20
    I don't think that it is overly unrealistic. It obiviously has to have an aspect of unreality, like all shows to keep in interesting.

stellarchick86

[17]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 32
    winkipop69 wrote:
    I don't think that it is overly unrealistic. It obiviously has to have an aspect of unreality, like all shows to keep in interesting.

Yeah exactly. Its got a few things here and there but compared to alot of teen shows (The OC, 90210, One Tree Hill) its pretty realistic.

zhuguang1984919

[18]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    There the distance between reality and fantasy is unable to pinpoint, just watch, just enjoy```

Joy: How do i look like? (kinda got a felling of self-love)
    Chandler: Em``I don't care!

WickedNugget

[19]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    It's not only the superficial things that's unrealistic... The characters can in some ways act somewhat strange.. for example despite their age. The simplemindedness (you may call it stupidness) that Joey has is one thing; I honestly think if a person were to save someone from a gunshot, they wouldn't save a sandwich. I mean HEY "Baby Kangaroo Tribbiani"!

But it's entertaining to some extent, I'll give him that...

sadweekan

[20]Mar 28, 2008

and by the way,i dont think they even would be friends with that kinda combination *in real life that is*.....

even courteney cox said "i dont think i will be friends with someone like joey in real life"..

but the point is..friends is THE BEST and it made a HUGE cultural impact especially for a sitcom