Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

how realistic is friends?

frostzZ

[41]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    sadweekan wrote:
    i find it extremely rediculous that they didnt know that chandler never wore glasses before the one with phoebe's cookies..it was soo unrealistic

thats right...or when ross said "you are not a lefty"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Willick-Bunch

[42]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 7
    The glasses gag was a very cheap shot. I really like when the friends ignore him and he mumbles something about invisibility - but they put it too far.

yousifaltaha

[43]Apr 10, 2008
    Willick-Bunch wrote:
    The glasses gag was a very cheap shot. I really like when the friends ignore him and he mumbles something about invisibility - but they put it too far.

exactly what i was going to say,my God the writes must have been really lazy that season,the series would have jumped the shark if they kept that up,luckily theyy didnt

stellarchick86

[44]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 32
    I thought it was funny, and didnt mind it. There have been some people Ive found where Ive known them a few years and they get glasses and Ive been like you didnt have those all along? lol because they look like the kind of person that would have them. My friend, granted shes pretty slow, turned to me after I had braces for a few YEARS and said, "Jessica- You have braces?!" I just started cracking up..and my other friend was like "yeah she had them a few years, she had them when she met you" and she was like "oh..right" LOL. So some people just really dont pay attention.

kodabear911

[45]May 15, 2008
    • level: 10

About the 9/11 thing, it wasn't mentioned for a very smart reason. Friends ratings skyrocketed after 9/11 because they didn't mention anything about it. The US needed a source of comfort, and mentioning the tragic event would have totally destroyed the point of that. Also, Friends takes place in a fictional NY, so 9/11 didn't necessarily happen in this version.

And, about the glasses thing, with friends you don't necessarily notice everything about them. Many people don't pay attention to accessories or facial features, it just doesn't cross their mind. I wore glasses for a very long time and nobody noticed, and when I mentioned the glasses, the same kind of thing happened to me.

So, I think most of Friends is pretty realistic. But, some things(like the time with the kids) are unrealistic. I think that if Friends was totally realistic, it would have made a pretty boring show. Who wants to watch people work and change diapers for 1/2 hour? You could do that anytime you wanted to.

thebeatles772

[46]May 16, 2008
    my opinion is that if Friends were more realistic it wouldn't have gottin as much fans and ratings as it did and still is getting today. About the glasses thing... my best friend died his hair black one day and came to school the next day and i knew he died his hair but i couldn't even remember after 1 day what color his hair was before.
    and about the Jobs discussion it's really not that unrealistic i mean think about it, theres around 24 episodes in a season so that means that 2 episodes = 1 month and it's not like they never go to work. so put 1 & 2 together and you have yourself a pretty realistic conclusion.
    and who cares if its realistic or not the point is it makes you laugh and thats all that counts...

harryathouse

[47]May 16, 2008
    • level: 18

The guys love the Die Hard films and always talk about them. When Elizabeth's Dad, Paul, (who is played by Bruce Willis, who also starred in the Die Hard films) meets the guys, they don't even hint at the fact that he looks like John McClain!

And in the episode where Ross makes a list of 5 celebrities that he can sleep with, he puts Winnona Rider down. She later appears in season 7 in 'TOW Rachel's Big Kiss'.

stellarchick86

[48]May 16, 2008
    harryathouse wrote:

The guys love the Die Hard films and always talk about them. When Elizabeth's Dad, Paul, (who is played by Bruce Willis, who also starred in the Die Hard films) meets the guys, they don't even hint at the fact that he looks like John McClain!

And in the episode where Ross makes a list of 5 celebrities that he can sleep with, he puts Winnona Rider down. She later appears in season 7 in 'TOW Rachel's Big Kiss'.

They did that with alot of actors. Elle Machperson, Susan Sarandon, etc

yousifaltaha

[49]May 16, 2008
    harryathouse wrote:

well in TV shows they are not supposed to say that,when they cast bruce willis in the show he is a complete different character thats what the guest star is,you seperate him from his work from real life when he is casted into another show

MisterMatthews

[50]Aug 4, 2008
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    harryathouse wrote:

well in TV shows they are not supposed to say that,when they cast bruce willis in the show he is a complete different character thats what the guest star is,you seperate him from his work from real life when he is casted into another show

But sometimes it gets a little surreal... Like in season 1, there was this episode in which both Jean-Claude Van Damme and Julia Roberts guest starred. They had Van Damme playing himself, but Roberts was in-character (Susie). That was a little weird, especially since the friends met with both characters on a movie lot...

Elwingda

[51]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 10

First of all, I'd like to state that realism is impossible to achieve on TV. There are always decisions made about camera angles at least and this immediately manipulates the way we watch a show.

Anyway, I agree with those people, who say that sitcom isn't supposed to be realistic. Even if sitcoms are based on real life events so that people can relate to them (creates humour), they are often strongly exaggerated. Everything in sitcom is about humour and how to achieve it in a range of different ways to keep the audience entertained. Friends wouldn't be half as funny if the writers and directors tried to achieve maximum realism. Also, if this was a case, Friends would change genre as well as audience and I doubt it would be as popular as it is now.

There are lots of errors in Friends both things that are wrong in the show (e.g. continuity errors) and errors that are right in the show but are wrong in reality. The first type of errors can't be avoided but the second type of errors are purposefully there to give our much beloved sitcom its codes and conventions.

free_the_WM3

[52]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    The only thing i would think to be unrealistic is the fact that most of the show is centred around the gang being at home or the coffee house. but you have to remember, each episode isnt a continution to the one before it. in some cases, there are a few weeks between episodes. so whos to say most episodes dont take place on the weekend? Fact is, i LOVE when they all hang out together, it is what makes the show. Could you honestly say you would enjoy the show as much if it centred around the gang working?

marti24

[53]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    Of course it's unrealistic, it's TV. The most unrealistic character is Phoebe - she would never hang out with the gang in real life . There is something realistic, though, and it rarely seen on sitcoms (except Seinfeld), and that's recurring characters. Monica and Ross's parents, Janice, Richard, David have all appeared repeatedly, just like parents and ex boy/girlfriends would in real life. Of course it's too much of a coincidence the way Janice just appears everywhere, but still... I like this.

MisterMatthews

[54]Aug 7, 2008

Willick-Bunch wrote:

I don't know... I liked it better back when the friends respected him and listened to him and laughed at his jokes (early years).

MisterMatthews

[55]Aug 7, 2008

marti24 wrote:
    There is something realistic, though, and it rarely seen on sitcoms (except Seinfeld), and that's recurring characters.

It happens on other sitcoms, too. Take 'Frasier', where you have recurring roles for Frasier's co-workers, his ex-wife, his son, his agent Bebe. It adds something to a sitcom.

Sarah_Is_Lost

[56]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 21
    It's a tv show. And I have no problem about any of it. I love the show.

stellarchick86

[57]Aug 9, 2008
    I agree..I dont really mind unrealistic things TOO much because sometimes on tv shows you need something to happen, you need to get from point a to point b so sometimes you have to change the character a little for it to work. Like Rachel Bilson was only supposed to be on The OC for a few episodes and she was completly the snobby, mean, spoiled chick. The producers realized that people loved her and they kept her on. In order to "redeem" her and make her seem more like a person people would want to hang out with, they slowly made her less shallow and more loveable. I thought it was a little unrealistic (the way they did it maybe) but it was supposed to in order to fit what they needed. So basically, sometimes they do it, even if it sucks.

xlaurenc

[58]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    frostzZ wrote:

sitcom=situation comedy...where does the situations come from?...from real life.

I find friends very realistic actually,they faced problems in their lives,they struggled to find a job and to find love..and just like said before they grew up throughout the series.

thats true they didnt focus on the financial status of the friends,so what? no tv show every focused on that even seinfeld (never watched roseanne and all in the family)

so maybe monica got money from her parents or from the bank and then when she found a job she payed back,and phoebe is just a big mystery...we'll never know how she could afford the money.

"they sit in the coffeehouse and the apartment":yea but in every episode they are just showing us a short period of time of their day or two..maybe they work the rest of the time,who knows?

and the shark thing?...BELIEVE ME i've heard much weirder things in real life,and im sure you did too

Wow, thats just.. I agree 100%!

I think its very realistic.

Btw, they may just start work at different times, or one day its 7am, next day its 12pm, you never know! Its possible!

xlaurenc

[59]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    harryathouse wrote:

Bruce willis isnt going to be seen has a die hard person obviously, he is going to be seen has elizabeth's dad!

yousifaltaha

[60]Aug 14, 2008
    Elwingda wrote:

First of all, I'd like to state that realism is impossible to achieve on TV. There are always decisions made about camera angles at least and this immediately manipulates the way we watch a show.

Anyway, I agree with those people, who say that sitcom isn't supposed to be realistic. Even if sitcoms are based on real life events so that people can relate to them (creates humour), they are often strongly exaggerated. Everything in sitcom is about humour and how to achieve it in a range of different ways to keep the audience entertained. Friends wouldn't be half as funny if the writers and directors tried to achieve maximum realism. Also, if this was a case, Friends would change genre as well as audience and I doubt it would be as popular as it is now.

There are lots of errors in Friends both things that are wrong in the show (e.g. continuity errors) and errors that are right in the show but are wrong in reality. The first type of errors can't be avoided but the second type of errors are purposefully there to give our much beloved sitcom its codes and conventions.

I don't mind watching unrealistic things either, but they broke the rules they have set for themselves in earlier seasons, look at the storylines from season 1-4, it's very believable and could easily happen to any 20-something person.

Actually I saw an interview when the cast appeared on Oprah in 1995, they said it's very important to them to keep the show as believable as possible, because the main "slogan" of the show is: young people struggling through life..so again in early seasons it's very possible.