Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Is HIMYM a Friends sequel?

Willick-Bunch

[1]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    I just saw the first few episodes of 'How I met your mother'. It's really astonishing how similar the series is to Friends.

• (Six) Five young attractive people - are hanging out in a (coffee house) bar in Manhattan.

• Ted is desperately in love with Robin. After a while Ted moves on, falls in love with another girl and Robin has suddenly has feelings for Ted.

• Some plot lines are very similar to some episodes of Friends. E.g. in "Drummroll, please" Marshall and Lily are stuck in the bath room because they do not to disturb Ted and his new girl friend. Or the first episode, which reminds me very much of the Freinds episode, where Chandler waits in a supermarket for Janice.

Unfortunately the scripts of the first season of HIMYM are not half as good as the first season of Friends. But it's nice, unpretentious, they have at least some new ideas.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aremex

[2]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    no offense, but i don't think so.

i had a friend who would look at characters in other shows and say: this ones is like joey/phoebe etc...

i don't like to obsessively compare everything to friends and try to find similarities. especially in the format (people in manhattan) which is a very popular format. and for the plotlines, some of the ones you mentioned weren't 'invented' by friends.

however, i'm not saying there aren't some shows/movies that have notable correlation to friends. i personally like to think 'along came polly' has many things in common with the ross/rachel story. and i agree that the ted/robin plotline reminds ross/rachel, but it was a lot different (ted's love was not secret, and their relationship didn't end with a big fight and a chance they get back together -- in fact, we know she's not 'the one')

Willick-Bunch

[3]Sep 15, 2008
    aremex wrote:
    no offense

None taken :-)

Ebs_73

[4]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 15
    I dont really have much of an opinion on this but IMO I feel that Friends is a much deeper show than HIMYM. I know that a. they're both comedies but friends was more than that - they became a family and b. People who watch the show more than me might think different but when I watch HIMYM to me it just feels a lot more like a sitcom there for the jokes. Which don't get me wrong - there's nothing bad with that! But it's just different to Friends.

Willick-Bunch

[5]Sep 15, 2008
    I saw just a few episodes more. The first season is an exact replica of three seasons Ross/Rachel. With "closure" and all.

loveindubitably

[6]Sep 15, 2008
    Hm...the main similarity I see between the two shows is the original premise--a group of friends in their late 20s growing up, etc. in the city. When you get to the details, things are quite different, I think.

While I get that Ted and Robin have the same will they won't they factor Ross and Rachel had, it's a quality that many couples have shared. And I don't want to spoil things for you in case you choose to continue watching (which I recommend), I think you'll see that the two couples are very different, especially by Season 3.

Nothing will be as amazing as Friends but HIMYM is a pretty decent show to watch as well.

Willick-Bunch

[7]Sep 16, 2008
    loveindubitably wrote:
    Hm...the main similarity I see between the two shows is the original premise--a group of friends in their late 20s growing up, etc. in the city.

Ted/Ross is insanely in love with Robin/Rachel. But Ted/Ross messes up. Robin/Rachel finds another man, Ted/Ross suffers and tries to be "just friends" with Robin/Rachel. After her friend Chandler/Lily let it slip that Ted/Ross is in love with her, Robin/Rachel finds her feelings for him . But suddenly Ted/Ross finds another unreasonably attractive girl. Robin/Rachel gets jealous while her best friend goes shopping with the new girl. Finally she speaks to Ted/Ross about her feelings and he decides to break up with the other girl. But in the same night he messes both relationships up. Ted/Ross and Robin/Rachel become very tense, but after a while they are back to friends. And a few episodes later they finally become a couple.
    loveindubitably wrote:
    Nothing will be as amazing as Friends but HIMYM is a pretty decent show to watch as well.

I did not want to imply otherwise, but the similarities in the first season were more than notable - they were stunning.
    Edited on 09/16/2008 2:43am
    Edited 2 total times.

Ebs_73

[8]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 15
    Wow! wow..that's rediculous how much they're the same!

djhunk22

[9]Sep 17, 2008
    Well i dont know whether they are the same or HIMYM is the sequel or not... but wat i know for sure is the cast in HIMYM have the chemistry that was their among FRIENDS.. HIMYM is the closest a show has come to FRIENDS till date.. and by that i dont mean in terms of storyline.. but in terms of real comedy.. If anyone here hasnt watched HIMYM.. then u;ve been missing out.... Start now!!!!

loveindubitably

[10]Sep 17, 2008
    djhunk22 wrote:
    Well i dont know whether they are the same or HIMYM is the sequel or not... but wat i know for sure is the cast in HIMYM have the chemistry that was their among FRIENDS.. HIMYM is the closest a show has come to FRIENDS till date.. and by that i dont mean in terms of storyline.. but in terms of real comedy.. If anyone here hasnt watched HIMYM.. then u;ve been missing out.... Start now!!!!

Couldn't agree more.

aremex

[11]Sep 18, 2008
    if you're trying to compare, these shows have major differences between their structure:
    voiceover (friends is not narrated)
    main character (there is no main character in friends)
    jumps in time (very frequent in himym bet rare in friends)
    twist - many episodes in himym have plottwist in the end, and the way the story is told, is meant to hide a certain detail until it is revealed in the end of the ep. friends on the other hand is very straight forward: the story is going from point a to point b in a funny way, but in the end you won't get information that will make you see the episode differently the next time you watch it. yknowhatamean?

Bliss_West88

[12]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 19
    I have never watched HIMYM, but i think i might give it a try as it is so muhc like Friends LOL!

Willick-Bunch

[13]Sep 18, 2008

aremex wrote:
    if you're trying to compare, these shows have major differences between their structure:

Of course they have. But SOME aspects are very similar.

aremex wrote:
    voiceover (friends is not narrated)

Actually, they didn't do a very thorough job there. The narrative is: A guy explains his kids how he met their mother. But in the whole second season this aspect of the show totally disappears. Perhaps they should have changed the narrator to Barney, Marshall or Lilly.

aremex wrote:
    twist - many episodes in himym have plottwist in the end, and the way the story is told, is meant to hide a certain detail until it is revealed in the end of the ep. friends on the other hand is very straight forward: the story is going from point a to point b in a funny way, but in the end you won't get information that will make you see the episode differently the next time you watch it. yknowhatamean?

Very interesting point. They do it a lot at HIMYM. But it has also been done in Friends. Think of TOW the stripper cries or TOW the worst best man ever.

PS: I have forgotten: They have Janice: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1120228/

Edited on 09/18/2008 8:57am
    Edited 3 total times.

PiperPrueLover4

[14]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    A lot of sitcoms follow similar formulas

greenparadox

[15]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    I haven't really been able to find any other shows that are as good as friends but then I checked this out and (given I've only seen the first 8 episodes) there are a lot of similarities. It's an ok show...I'm not crazy about it so far. I think that the actors and their roles are so unnatural. You can almost feel like the character's personality are not really as well portrayed whereas in friends, when you first watch the show it kinda makes you think "Yeah, David Schwimmer does look like the type of guy that's dorky and whiny etc..." anyway, just my opinion on it...

AwesomeLove

[16]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 2
    wow, i'm suprised y'all forgot the most obvious (to me) comparison: the sex-driven barney/joey character that loves one-night stands or short relationships based majorly on sex. although a lot of shows have this type of character nowadays. but barney/joey recently has feelings for his friends ted/ross' old flame robin/rachel who is also his close friend. but based on what most of y'all have said, you don't normally watch the show. This is incredibly recent (season finale/premiere) and sorry to spoil that for anyone having not seen that yet, but yeah, its coming. But himym has so many awesome things or inside jokes really, (not to say that friends isn't awesome, it just doesn't have the little things) like slap-bet, "have you met [insert name here]", LEGEN, wait for it, DARY; and others

Willick-Bunch

[17]Sep 28, 2008
    AwesomeLove wrote:
    wow, i'm suprised y'all forgot the most obvious (to me) comparison: the sex-driven barney/joey character that loves one-night stands or short relationships based majorly on sex. although a lot of shows have this type of character nowadays. but barney/joey recently has feelings for his friends ted/ross' old flame robin/rachel who is also his close friend.

This is part of the Rachel-Ross/Robin-Ted story I mentioned. The characters of Barney and Joey are quite different, despite that every story in New York needs a guy who sleeps around.