Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Least shown / Weakest friendship

luvpuff

[61]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    another phoebe and chandler moment is when phoebe was the only one to know about chandler's plan to propose
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rebachick94

[62]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 16
    Phoebe/Chandler, Phoebe/Ross, and Rachel/Chandler

rebachick94

[63]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 16
    hootnow wrote:
    Chandler and Rachel as people have said don't even particularly seem to like each other. The relationship between Ross and Pheobe is imo frosty the majority of the time. apart from a few times, ie just before they got mugged, Pheobe setting Ross up with a mate, Pheobe is either not talking directly to Ross, mocking him or threatening him(like when he told Mike Pheobe had never had a serious relationship)

What about when Joey made Monica go on that double date with Angela and Paul?

MisterMatthews

[64]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 5

CiCi0788 wrote:
    I would sayRachel and Chandler or Pheobe and Chandler. Rachel and Chandler rarely interact and Pheobe and Chandler don't even seem like they really like eachother. Like someone else said, whenever they do interact Chandler is mocking Pheobe or Pheobe is making fun of Chandler.

This was very different in season 1, where Phoebe is briefly working for Chandler as a secretary at his office. (When he discovers all his colleagues hate him.) In this episode, Chandler orders Phoebe around and Phoebe accepts it and does as he says. Can you imagine anything like that in, say, season 9? In the early seasons, everybody seemed to respect Chandler more. He was more of a 'leader' of the group. I also like the storyline where Chandler and Phoebe break up together with their girlfriend/boyfriend. Phoebe says to Chandler: "We never do anything together".

tjtoast

[65]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    friendsaddict wrote:
    i think Ross and Phoebe definately have the weakest relationship.
    other than the Sting tickets i can't think of a Ross/Phoebe plotline

are you serious ross and pheobe had the next most stories together after the couples and the roomates

Sarah_Is_Lost

[66]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 21

Strongest

1. Chandler and Joey.
    2. Chandler and Monica.
    3. Rachel and Monica.
    4. Joey and Phoebe.
    5. Rachel and Joey.
    6. Ross and Rachel.
    7. Ross and Chandler.
    8. Monica and Ross.
    9. Joey and Ross
    10. Joey and Monica
    11. Rachel and Phoebe.
    12. Chandler and Rachel.
    13. Monica and Phoebe.
    14. Chandler and Phoebe.
    15. Ross and Phoebe.

Weakest

loveindubitably

[67]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 9
    I would say there actually are quite a lot of memorable scenes between Phoebe and Ross. I think the two have the most different personalities from one another in the group so it causes tension but I think that adds a unique touch to their friendship. Plus, they're hilarious together.

I think we saw too little of Chandler/Rachel--like I've said before, Jen and Matthew had a lot of chemistry so I love all their scenes together (TOW All The Cheesecakes is one of my favorite episodes). There aren't enough Chandler/Phoebe scenes either. There were a decent number of Joey/Monica scenes in the earlier seasons but after Mondler happened, it happened a lot less frequently.

HarmlessAngel

[68]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 10

Joey/Monica

Chandler/Phoebe

Chandler/Rachel

Ross/Phoebe

were all less focused upon

They all seem very close:

Chandler nd Phoebe dumping people together, (beside the comedy in it, you dont dump a partner with someone you dont really talk to);

Ross nd Phoebe with the whole bike thing, and as we see in the one with the flashback they nearly got it on because she was so good at comforting him;

Rachel let Chandler set her up on dates ( which you only do if you trust someone ), okay so he made a mess of it, but later on, he was great at reassuring her;

Joey and Monica were great in the episode where she hired him so she could fire him, and when they split up that couple .

I think its because of the way their storylines are, that these lot appear weak.

And of course the others are :

Rachel/Monica, Chandler/Joey, Phoebe/Joey, Phoebe/Rachel, Phoebe/Monica, Ross/Chandler, Ross/Joey

Miks-

[69]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Ross and Mike, haha : D

free_the_WM3

[70]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 12

Miks- wrote:

LOL so true! im ashamed to say ive had conversations like that with people i dont know too well.

ben-the-hen

[71]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    I think Phoebe & Chandler because Rachel is actually close to him, she kissed him when they were in college and on TOW Rachel's Going Away Party she told Chadler she loved him.

Whereas Phoebe doesn't really talk to Chandler as much as everyone else.

MisterMatthews

[72]Aug 11, 2008
    free_the_WM3 wrote:

Miks- wrote:

LOL so true! im ashamed to say ive had conversations like that with people i dont know too well.

That's what makes that storyline so funny: it is SO taken out of real life! I've had conversations like that! I think everybody had at some point.

xlaurenc

[73]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    Kadodian wrote:

I think they were all strong friendships but if I had to choose I would pick Chandler and Phoebe

Couldn't agree more.
    Remember, in "real life" they would show more connection.
    So when you think about it, they were all REALLY close, but some just not as much as others.

BUT as a whole they were pretty connected!

phatty_jr86

[74]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think that the Rachel/Chandler relationship wasn't shown enough. I thought they were really good in the few times they were shown together. They had a non-sexual relationship, meaning there was no chance of them hooking up. They seemed like brother and sister, almost. I loved them together.

ihoppers_cheska

[75]Aug 15, 2008

Yea.. some relationships weren't shown as much as others.. but i don't think they're "weak" though since whenever these couples were shown together, they seem to have great rapport.

Phoebe/Ross: They aren't shown as much.. but i don't think they have a "weak" relationship. They really support each other. Phoebe did help Ross run after Rachel in the last episode. Also when Ross was convincing Phoebe that her mom wasn't in the cat.. he was being mean about it.. but he geniuinely seemed sorry about it afterward. The two of them have a more frank, love/hate relationship... but they do compromise despite their differences. And.. i think Phoebe's always been supportive of Ross' love for Rachel... "He's her LOBSTER!!"

Phoebe/Chandler: they should have shown those two more. It was pretty funny when phoebe broke up w/ janice for chandler. lol

Monica/Joey: They're close but of the three girls, Joey is probably the least close with monica. Joey/Phoebe is a given. But Joey's always been close with Rachel.. even before they had crushes on each other. But umm.. I do remember storylines with them in it. Like when Joey worked as a waiter in Monica's restaurant and made her look good by letting monica fire him.

Rachel/Chandler: they didn't have a lot of scenes together.. but they look cute as friends. I liked the part in TOW two parties.. Chandler hugged Rachel in the hall before giving her to Ross. I think he's been more of a big brother to her. But i think they were pretty close (although not shown) it was alluded in TOW Rachel Smokes that they meet up for lunch during their breaks.

Edited on 08/15/2008 9:29pm
    Edited 3 total times.

xlaurenc

[76]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    ihoppers_cheska wrote:

Yea.. some relationships weren't shown as much as others.. but i don't think they're "weak" though since whenever these couples were shown together, they seem to have great rapport.

Phoebe/Ross: They aren't shown as much.. but i don't think they have a "weak" relationship. They really support each other. Phoebe did help Ross run after Rachel in the last episode. Also when Ross was convincing Phoebe that her mom wasn't in the cat.. he was being mean about it.. but he geniuinely seemed sorry about it afterward. The two of them have a more frank, love/hate relationship... but they do compromise despite their differences. And.. i think Phoebe's always been supportive of Ross' love for Rachel... "He's her LOBSTER!!"

Phoebe/Chandler: they should have shown those two more. It was pretty funny when phoebe broke up w/ janice for chandler. lol

Monica/Joey: They're close but of the three girls, Joey is probably the least close with monica. Joey/Phoebe is a given. But Joey's always been close with Rachel.. even before they had crushes on each other. But umm.. I do remember storylines with them in it. Like when Joey worked as a waiter in Monica's restaurant and made her look good by letting monica fire him.

Rachel/Chandler: they didn't have a lot of scenes together.. but they look cute as friends. I liked the part in TOW two parties.. Chandler hugged Rachel in the hall before giving her to Ross. I think he's been more of a big brother to her. But i think they were pretty close (although not shown) it was alluded in TOW Rachel Smokes that they meet up for lunch during their breaks.

Agree.
    I dont think any are weak, just some arent close has others.
    But with chandler/rachel, remember the episode at rachels work with her boss (chandler was going out with her).
    Joey and monica.. monica makes him food, they went cooking lessons together, the whole firing thing, they seemed like bro-sis tbh.

And for above how the heck is monica and phoebe the learly weakest???
    They go to get monicas dress, they are like best friends, (after rachel and monica) They are close.

rach022

[77]Aug 16, 2008
    I think they were all close but if I had to pick it would probably be Rachel and Chandler. I think it's a shame that they didn't have more scenes together.
    I think in "reallife" though they would have been close, I mean forget all the other relationships, he is her best friends husband so they would have lots of interaction in their everyday lives. Plus he is Emmas Uncle.

x

MisterMatthews

[78]Aug 16, 2008

phatty_jr86 wrote:
    I think that the Rachel/Chandler relationship wasn't shown enough. I thought they were really good in the few times they were shown together. They had a non-sexual relationship, meaning there was no chance of them hooking up. They seemed like brother and sister, almost. I loved them together.

I don't know. I always had the feeling that, although they were friends, she always thought he was a little weird. She has made some comments about that. And she said she never gets his jokes. They do go to lunch together (apparently just the two of them), so obviously they are friends, but not in a brother-sister way. If they had been, don't you think their goodbye in 'TOW Rachel's Going Away Party' would be longer and more emotional? Rachel suggested they should just hug and not talk; that gave me the impression they didn't have much to talk about. Which, again, seems strange, because they always had lunch together.

So the thing I want to know most is: what do Rachel and Chandler talk about when they're together? (And not eating cheesecakes.)

yousifaltaha

[79]Aug 17, 2008
    MisterMatthews wrote:

phatty_jr86 wrote:

I don't know. I always had the feeling that, although they were friends, she always thought he was a little weird. She has made some comments about that. And she said she never gets his jokes. They do go to lunch together (apparently just the two of them), so obviously they are friends, but not in a brother-sister way. If they had been, don't you think their goodbye in 'TOW Rachel's Going Away Party' would be longer and more emotional? Rachel suggested they should just hug and not talk; that gave me the impression they didn't have much to talk about. Which, again, seems strange, because they always had lunch together.

So the thing I want to know most is: what do Rachel and Chandler talk about when they're together? (And not eating cheesecakes.)

Throughout the series they gave us alot of hints that Chandler and Rachel share alot of gossib together at the top of my head:

1-TOW the fertility test, when Chandler confronted Monica about the Hershey's factory incident (if you know what I mean) and then he said: OH YEA RACHEL TALKS TOO.

2-When Rachel Told him (Ross) that he has nothing with that girl who he was babysitting for then it's revealed that Chandler told her soo.

3-Also in the scene where Rachel and Chandler are in the beauty parlor it just seems that they have a very good relationship.

as for the going away party, here is what Chandler said:

Chandler: Let me just say something... Because once we get into this, I'm gonna get all uncomfortable and probably make some stupid joke... I just want to say that I... I love you... And, I'm gonna miss you. And I'm so sad that you're leaving.

I think she just spared him the awkwardness that he will go into once he gets too uncomfortable.

I think I'm a bit too much of a friends addict LoL. Sorry if I bored you

MisterMatthews

[80]Aug 17, 2008

yousifaltaha wrote:
    Throughout the series they gave us alot of hints that Chandler and Rachel share alot of gossib together at the top of my head: 1-TOW the fertility test, when Chandler confronted Monica about the Hershey's factory incident (if you know what I mean) and then he said: OH YEA RACHEL TALKS TOO. 2-When Rachel Told him (Ross) that he has nothing with that girl who he was babysitting for then it's revealed that Chandler told her soo.

Hey, good examples, I didn't think of those!

yousifaltaha wrote:
    3-Also in the scene where Rachel and Chandler are in the beauty parlor it just seems that they have a very good relationship.

I can't remember that one. When was that?

yousifaltaha wrote:
    as for the going away party, here is what Chandler said: Chandler: Let me just say something... Because once we get into this, I'm gonna get all uncomfortable and probably make some stupid joke... I just want to say that I... I love you... And, I'm gonna miss you. And I'm so sad that you're leaving. I think she just spared him the awkwardness that he will go into once he gets too uncomfortable.

Wow, good explanation. I would not have thought of that.

yousifaltaha wrote:
    I think I'm a bit too much of a friends addict LoL. Sorry if I bored you

Of course not. We're all Friends addicts on this board.