Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Matthew Perry's weight changes

oceanic6

[1]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 35
    While Matthew Perry as Chandler is one of the funniest on the show, it's obvious how his weight has gradually shifted throughout the series from normal to stick - thin and then quite fat. Why?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

---Els---

[2]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 16
    yeah I noticed that too, I know that he had apainkiller addiction at one stage- remember when he was very think and had the moustache-thing? I think it was around that time.

cutieflutie1216

[3]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 50
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:

Matthew Perry, who played Chandler, developed an addiction to alcohol and to ease this he then became addicted to Vicodin. He first started taking prescription drugs after a jet ski accident in 1997 and checked himself into Hazelden. In 2000 he was hospitalized with pancreatitis as a result of his addictions. During that summer he lost 20 pounds, appearing noticeably thinner during the 7th season premiere of Friends, in a scene that continued directly from the 6th season finale.

Matthew Perry checked into rehab. The filming schedule on Friends was altered so scenes not featuring his character Chandler were shot first. This is why Chandler moved to Tulsa in season 9. His recovery once again caused weight fluctuations.

This quote is from the "Friends Help Desk" thread.

stellarchick86

[4]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 32
    Yeah, I know his weight was from a drug addiction but I didnt know what kind (painkillers). I thought it was something a little "harder".

oceanic6

[5]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 35
    I think it's good that he had a body that real people have as the show should be based around real people and not just flawless models. You go pez!

winkipop69

[6]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 20
    Wow. I never knew that. Those addictions would obviously cause weight fluctuation.

SHUCKLEMAN

[7]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 11
    So that's why he was so thin in season 3 and 7, and so large in seasons 6 and 8.

Bliss_West88

[8]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 19
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:
    So that's why he was so thin in season 3 and 7, and so large in seasons 6 and 8.

yeah i must admit i was watching season 8 the other day and he is really big but he must of lost it cos he isn't that big in 9-10

SHUCKLEMAN

[9]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 11
    Yeah, he seemed to lose weight quite gradually during season 9, in the same way that he gained wieght gradually during season 7.

It's frightening how different he looks between TOW The Proposal and TOW Monica's Thunder. I admire him for coping so well.

thebeatles772

[10]May 18, 2008
    • level: 7
    It drove me crazy watching him while he was fat... and i don't mean that in a mean way, he just doesn't suit being a fat person... like when Monica was in a fat suit, i hated watching that because not only did she act like a complete retard but she also just doesn't suit being a fat person

svjavajunkie

[11]May 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    thebeatles772 wrote:
    It drove me crazy watching him while he was fat... and i don't mean that in a mean way, he just doesn't suit being a fat person... like when Monica was in a fat suit, i hated watching that because not only did she act like a complete retard but she also just doesn't suit being a fat person
    she did act stupid, but it was fun seeing fat Monica

thebeatles772

[12]May 27, 2008
    did anyone else notice how between TOW the proposal and TOW Monica's thunder, Chandler looked so much different basically because of his reoccurring weight changes throughout the series

cutieflutie1216

[13]May 27, 2008
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:

Matthew Perry, who played Chandler, developed an addiction to alcohol and to ease this he then became addicted to Vicodin. He first started taking prescription drugs after a jet ski accident in 1997 and checked himself into Hazelden. In 2000 he was hospitalized with pancreatitis as a result of his addictions. During that summer he lost 20 pounds, appearing noticeably thinner during the 7th season premiere of Friends, in a scene that continued directly from the 6th season finale.

Matthew Perry checked into rehab. The filming schedule on Friends was altered so scenes not featuring his character Chandler were shot first. This is why Chandler moved to Tulsa in season 9. His recovery once again caused weight fluctuations.

The 6th season finale was "The One with the Proposal" and the 7th season premiere was "The One with Monica's Thunder."

thebeatles772

[14]May 28, 2008
    yeah and in The One with the Proposal Chandler was a little overweight and in the One with Monica's Thunder (which they make look like was just a few hours later) he is much thinner...

Emina_I

[15]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 9

I have also noticed his weight changes during the show, especially like all of you said in the end of 6th season and beginning of 7th. Then I found articles about his addictions and I was surprised that he had to fight all that while he was shooting Friends. Luckily it didn't affect his performance at all and he stayed the same Chandler that we loved during all 10 seasons inspite all those problems!

cutieflutie1216

[16]Jun 14, 2008
    Emina_I wrote:

I have also noticed his weight changes during the show, especially like all of you said in the end of 6th season and beginning of 7th. Then I found articles about his addictions and I was surprised that he had to fight all that while he was shooting Friends. Luckily it didn't affect his performance at all and he stayed the same Chandler that we loved during all 10 seasons inspite all those problems!

I have to disagree. I think his performance in season 7 was not only below par, but noticeable and bothersome.

Emina_I

[17]Jun 14, 2008
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:
    Emina_I wrote:

I have to disagree. I think his performance in season 7 was not only below par, but noticeable and bothersome.

I respect your opinion, maybe if I look harder I can notice that he was a little bit funnyer in the earliest seasons but I have to disagree with the bothersome part because I haven't noticed that at all.

freakyfriend101

[18]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    Well, around the time he started friends he was addicted to pot and in season to one to six he was very thin and stopped in season six and started to gan weight by the way he actually just wore a lot of red which is not his color and had a weird head do that made him look fatter and also he was so thin in the first few seasons and you get used to it I hope this answers your question.:!

Emina_I

[19]Jun 15, 2008

freakyfriend101 wrote:
    Well, around the time he started friends he was addicted to pot and in season to one to six he was very thin and stopped in season six and started to gan weight by the way he actually just wore a lot of red which is not his color and had a weird head do that made him look fatter and also he was so thin in the first few seasons and you get used to it I hope this answers your question.:!

I agree about the color, red is definitively not his color!

kodabear911

[20]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 10
    Wait, where did you guys hear that he was addicted to pot? I've never heard that, and sorry, but I kinda doubt that it's true. Can you give me like a website or something like that? He didn't seem skinny before, he seemed healthy and normal, so I don't think he was addicted to anything then, but I have heard that he was an alcoholic so that might have been going on at that time.