Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Monica and Chandler: Did you see it coming?

papillion1

[1]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 1
    I got hooked on Friends, and I happened to watch the later seasons before the earlier ones. Watching the earlier seasons, I'm feeling their interactions sort of predicted that they would get together later - for example in the episode about "three years earlier" when he tells her she deserves to have a boyfriend and she's the most beautiful woman he's ever seen "in real life", and then he hugged her while she was wrapped in a towel, and neither of them felt uncomfotable. But then again, I knew what would happen later. So, did you ever see Monica and Chandler coming, or was it just totally out of left field?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 32
    Nope, never saw it.

bronbrons27

[3]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 14
    I also watched the later seasons before the earlier ones, and when I first saw the earlier seasons I did see some signs yes, but then again that could be because I knew they would get together later...
    But episodes like The One With The Birth, (when Chandler suggests that if him and Monica are both single when they're 40, that they'll get together), and The One At The Beach, (when Chandler won't let it go once Monica says she wouldn't go out with him), really do give hints that they might get together later in the series...

rebachick94

[4]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 16
    papillion1 wrote:
    I got hooked on Friends, and I happened to watch the later seasons before the earlier ones. Watching the earlier seasons, I'm feeling their interactions sort of predicted that they would get together later - for example in the episode about "three years earlier" when he tells her she deserves to have a boyfriend and she's the most beautiful woman he's ever seen "in real life", and then he hugged her while she was wrapped in a towel, and neither of them felt uncomfotable. But then again, I knew what would happen later. So, did you ever see Monica and Chandler coming, or was it just totally out of left field?

Well, i definately knew it was going to happen because I'd seen episodes after they hooked up. I wish I hadn't known so I could really answer the question, but I think I would have seen it coming anyway, because the writers dropped so many hints about it.

HugzxNxKissesxo

[5]Oct 3, 2009
    i also watched later episodes before earlier one and realized the same thing watching earlier ones but i dont think they did it that way since i read on another forum that Monica was originally supposed to be with Joey (but i am so glad they paired her with Chandler )

rebachick94

[6]Oct 6, 2009
    HugzxNxKissesxo wrote:
    i also watched later episodes before earlier one and realized the same thing watching earlier ones but i dont think they did it that way since i read on another forum that Monica was originally supposed to be with Joey (but i am so glad they paired her with Chandler )

Hey, it might have been something I posted! Yeah, it says in the book that comes with the box set that Joey was in love with Monica. She's the one girl he can't get. Also, it was in a couple of the commentaries. Jen and David just had such great chemistry, so that's why they changed. haha. I don't think they could have driven the series. Serious relationships aren't JOEY. lol, it's just not in his character. But hey, maybe if they had been the epic couple, we couldn't imagine Ross and Rachel together. I'm glad they paired her with Chandler. They're just so good together.

melina79

[7]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    I' ve been watching since the beginning and I really thought that the only couple between the 6 would be Rachel and Ross. After the episode in the beach house where Chandler kept asking Monica if she'd date him, I started thinking that they'd make a cute couple. And I think that was the point of that storyline, to check fans' feedback on this possible pairing.

JordanFolsom

[8]Oct 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    I guess I could say I saw it coming, but I was only 1 when Friends premeired so needless to say I began watching it after it was already cancelled. I knew that Monica and Chandler were together but the writers definately dropped hints in the earlier seasons. Like when Chandler peed on Monica or when they were cuddled up together in Chandler's chair. I guess I'm not the best source since I knew they got together but it looked to me like I would have guessed it anyway.

Lisakudrow730

[9]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 8
    lol, when u first watch it and u have no clue really about them until the third season at least, youve got to admit that u can see it coming once uve seen them together already. ud think in season three TOW the flashback that they were just being nice, but now u look and u see "wow, that is totally where they started!"

Romano338

[10]Nov 26, 2012

No

But I saw the Joey/Phoebe story coming like 2 or 3 seasons before. And it never happened lol

Edited on 11/26/2012 2:01am
    Edited 2 total times.

AlexEdwards1

[11]Jan 9, 2013
    No way did I ever think those two would hoop up, I always though that Chandler would eventually end up with Janice, and Monica would somehow end up back with Richard or Richard's son Tim

modernfamily120

[12]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 20

I knew it was coming, and watching the earlier seasons I do see signs. (most specificly, The One at the Beach) Their friendship before relationship is one of the most hilarious friendships.

whiterose27

[13]Jul 8, 2013

I did see it coming, actually. I watched it from the beginning, and the episode that you mentioned and the one when they go to the beach really made me think that they were going to get together. I don't know if it was the writers' intention, but I noticed it.