Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Richard or Chandler

Teddy_Love

[21]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    Chandler DUH.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FriendsFan006

[22]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    Chandler all the way! I didn't like Richard that much..

scrubsrulez

[23]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    Ting13 wrote:

I disagree that Monica's relationship with Richard was more mature and that they really had something... I kinda of thought that Monica and Richard together lacked of maturity. He kept trying to be young and cool and she seemed like she was mostly just looking for a father figure. And if Richard really cared about her he wouldn't have shown up and told her he wanted marriage and children when she was together with Chandler. If he really cared he would have wanted her to be happy, even if it was with Chandler, and not try to ruin that. All in all I thought Monica and Richard together was about Monica wanting a father figure and Richard having an age crisis.

Chandler and Monica on the other hand made much more sense and they were happier together than Richard and Monica were. They were truly affectionate with each other and I could really believe them as a couple. I never could with Richard and Monica...

The early Monica and Chandler relationship if you watch closely was not really affection as much as it was lust. Joey gets in trouble for being disgusting and covering for them because they can't stop having sex in inappropriate places/ways (like in the bathroom of the coffee shop). They even want to do it at Chandler's work party.... Although it does eventually develop into affection, as we see when Phoebe finds out.

I don't think Monica wanted a father figure per se. She wanted what she had always wanted: someone more mature. Monica always wanted love, a family, children, etc at a young age, and guys her own age tended to be less mature and not ready for those things (like Chandler). Richard, she thought, was someone who wanted all those things. Richard, on the other hand, just got through a divorce and didn't really care about the age thing since he was pretty vulnerable. The only age crisis he has is when Chandler and Joey think of him as a dad, and he even handles that quite well. I don't see this as being an underlying motivation. I think they really did love each other A LOT, which is clear from how hard it is for Monica to get over him. And I think the fact that she feels NOTHING for Richard once she's with Chandler is the most sure sign Chandler could ever get that Monica loves him completely and fully.

aplourey

[24]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 34
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 07/29/2006 5:02am

aplourey

[25]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 34
    larry_davis wrote:
    chandler was superfictial, he didn't like monica when she was fat so what if she gained wieght later on in their marriage? he's a yuppie wich makes him unsincere, he only like her because of her looks and he doen't get many women that like him, at least not ones who look like monica.
    umm..... actually that was when he was 20. a lot of guys are shallow when they are that age. he grew up and realised you don't treat women like that. also he didn't not like her he just didn't think she was atractive. we find that out in TOW the stripper cries.

jkalen81

[26]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 20
    I really liked seeing her with Richard, wasn't creepy at all. They definitely had an attraction..

But if I'd choose, there could never be anyone but Chandler.

cousinmaeby

[27]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 3
    Obviously it's Chandler! She may have had a great relationship with Richard but everything just made sense about her and Chandler. Even before London I hoped they'd get together. He's just her lobster and that's all there is to it.

sillygurlcs20

[28]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 3
    Of course Chandler... Richard and Monica were happy and he was the mature man she needed for her life but, havent u heard... hot is out... funny is IN!!!!! Monica needed someone to laugh with the rest of her life not be intelectual with... that only gets u so far.

seinfeld111690

[29]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 25
    Chandler

friendst2thend

[30]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 4

sillygurlcs20 wrote:
    Of course Chandler... Richard and Monica were happy and he was the mature man she needed for her life but, havent u heard... hot is out... funny is IN!!!!! Monica needed someone to laugh with the rest of her life not be intelectual with... that only gets u so far.

What are you talking about? Richard wasn't just Mr. Smart guy, he had a sense of humor too.

aatish_n

[31]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 15

Chandler!

friendslover1

[32]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    i def have to say chandler b/c they r awsome together and i thought her and richard were not good together and then when he came in the 6th season that made me mad b/c he knew she was with chan but when he finally let chan have her was nice but i also think the reason why he let chan go was b/c if mon had to choose between chan and richard , richard knows she would choose chan and not him  

wisecrack57

[33]Jul 30, 2006
    aatish_n wrote:
    Chandler!

agrees completly

bubble992

[34]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 5
    chandler definetly!!! richard was sooo boring and chandler and monica realy suite each other

friendfan13

[35]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 8

CHANDLER

Chandler ws much better for Monica then Richard would ever be. Chandler understood her and treated right. He is so nice, kind and funny which makes him perfect for Monica. You knew their relationship would last forever!

I also think that 2 of the 6 friends had to get married. If she married Richard so early in the series it would of been odd. They needed a married couple that really loved eachother in the group. this is what kept friends going.

scooby_92

[36]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 11
    I was a big Richard fan, but then Chandler came into the picture and I fell in love with him.

friends4life

[37]Sep 19, 2006
    i gotta say definitely chandler..
    they are so well together and you could just see the connection between them.. and it's totally works out.

kellers1543

[38]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 11

CHANDLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard ... cigar smell isnt my favorite

yakutz

[40]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 5
    Chandler - no doubt about it