Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Richard or Chandler

FriendsSvuLost8

[81]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 25
    Richard and Monica were a good couple in their time but I wasn't exactly heartbroken when they broke up. Chandler and Monica was entertaining to watch because I didn't see it coming so it was a very nice suprise. Also it solved a lot of problems. Chandler wasn't the loser anymore who couldn't get a girlfriend and Monica stopped complaining she didn't have a boyfriend.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Emina_I

[82]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 9

Chandler! It was a very nice surprise when they first got together , they have so opposite characters and yet they are so great couple. I liked Richard's role but I couldn't imagine Monica marrying him.

Elwingda

[83]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 10

I never really liked Richard. He was kind of creepy. It couldn't see a proper future between Monica and Richard to be honest. I mean, Richard might have been happy, but I would've felt sorry for Monica.

Monica and Chandler are brilliant together.

super_georgiaaa

[84]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 5

I say Chandler is the right option for Monica because when shes with Richard she is as boring as a blank piece of paper !

When shes with Chandler she is soo much more funnier !

AlyssaR0528

[85]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 7

I thought Richard and Chandler both made good boyfriends for Monica. I think she could have been happy living the rest of her life with either of them, depending on the timing. This is perhaps because I personally do not believe there is only one perfect match for everyone. I think there are a number of people out there who are well suited for each of us, and it is just a question of degree of happiness.

If Monica and Richard had wanted to same things when they were together at the end of Season 2, I could have seen Monica being happily married to him.

When Monica and Chandler were together, Monica had changed since the end of her relationship with Richard, so at that point Chandler was the man who would make her happiest.

Of course, at the end of Season 6 when Richard resurfaced, I wanted Monica to be with Chandler.

I actually did not have a problem with Richard telling her how he felt, though. He laid it all on the line, and told her that if he was too late he would never bother her again. I think that's fair. Since Richard had a change of heart about the one point which was a dealbreaker when he and Monica were together, I see no problem with him making that known to her since she was still unmarried. For all he knew, she was still unmarried because she had not yet found anyone who compared to how she had felt about him (although we, the audience knew better!) Afterall, we the audience knew that she was very happy with Chandler and wanted a future with Chandler, but how was Richard to know unless he asked? I'm all about no regrets.

As others have mentioned, I did notice a difference in Monica in her two relationships -- she did seem to act more mature in her relationship with Richard. However, that might be because she felt more comfortable with Chandler so she was able to let all her true quirks shine through -- and that's always good news

free_the_WM3

[86]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 12
    AlyssaR0528 wrote:

I thought Richard and Chandler both made good boyfriends for Monica. I think she could have been happy living the rest of her life with either of them, depending on the timing. This is perhaps because I personally do not believe there is only one perfect match for everyone. I think there are a number of people out there who are well suited for each of us, and it is just a question of degree of happiness.

If Monica and Richard had wanted to same things when they were together at the end of Season 2, I could have seen Monica being happily married to him.

When Monica and Chandler were together, Monica had changed since the end of her relationship with Richard, so at that point Chandler was the man who would make her happiest.

Of course, at the end of Season 6 when Richard resurfaced, I wanted Monica to be with Chandler.

I actually did not have a problem with Richard telling her how he felt, though. He laid it all on the line, and told her that if he was too late he would never bother her again. I think that's fair. Since Richard had a change of heart about the one point which was a dealbreaker when he and Monica were together, I see no problem with him making that known to her since she was still unmarried. For all he knew, she was still unmarried because she had not yet found anyone who compared to how she had felt about him (although we, the audience knew better!) Afterall, we the audience knew that she was very happy with Chandler and wanted a future with Chandler, but how was Richard to know unless he asked? I'm all about no regrets.

As others have mentioned, I did notice a difference in Monica in her two relationships -- she did seem to act more mature in her relationship with Richard. However, that might be because she felt more comfortable with Chandler so she was able to let all her true quirks shine through -- and that's always good news

very well put, i totally agree. i actually strongly agree with what monica says to chandler (cant remember what episode) she says that she doesnt believe in soul mates, and that you have to work hard at a relationship, ( i know i do sometimes lol). And believe she was extremly happy with both richard and chandler, they were both very different relationships.

emmalou2704

[87]Jul 1, 2008
    Chandler definately... I can still remember watching the episode where Monica and Chandler got together in London and being sooooo shocked, it was brilliant! I think they made a really sweet couple!

Canogaparkcindy

[88]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 49
    Chandler DUH!

MrsMcDreamy87

[89]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 11
    Chandler definatly

emmalou2704

[90]Jul 2, 2008
    I think Chander is winning then ...!

hawksie

[91]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    Chandler definitely.. I've never been a fan of *huge* age gaps in relationships. Like the other poster said.. in the end of season 10 Richard would have been extremely old which is just awkward. He was a great character but in the end Monica and Chandler were right for eachother whereas Richard and Monica would have turned awkward when Richard would be in his 60s and Monica would be like 20 years younger.

AlyssaR0528

[92]Jul 5, 2008
    free_the_WM3 wrote:
    AlyssaR0528 wrote:

very well put, i totally agree. i actually strongly agree with what monica says to chandler (cant remember what episode) she says that she doesnt believe in soul mates, and that you have to work hard at a relationship, ( i know i do sometimes lol). And believe she was extremly happy with both richard and chandler, they were both very different relationships.

Thanks! And good call about Monica and Chandler's talk about soulmates in that episode (I think it's in "The One Where Joey Tells Rachel") -- I hadn't even been thinking about that when I posted before! I definitely agree with that sentiment.

Between Chandler and Monica's conversation about not believing in soulmates, and the fact that both Monica and Phoebe had two boyfriends, either of whom they could have been happily married to (depending on timing and circumstances), Friends definitely sends a strong "relationships are not necessarily about soulmates" message -- which I am a fan of!

It's especially good to balance out the Ross & Rachel "meant to be" dynamic.

rebachick94

[93]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 16
    I love Chandler and Richard both. They were both very good for Monica and they were good boyfriends to her. I tend to go for the couple that works out and I love love love Monica and Chandler so them.

Sarah_Is_Lost

[94]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 21

Obvious..Chandler. Love Monica and Chandler together best couple on Friends to be honest!

rdr96

[95]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    chandler becuz he wants monica and hes younger and dnt get me started about the kids wit chandlers funny nesss and mo nicas ba bla bla and richard is to old

InsanePain_92

[96]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    I love Chandler .. and when he was with Monica they were great. But Richard is the love of her life, he has always been. She loved him since season 2, so I'll go with Richard.

HarmlessAngel

[97]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 10

The Chan-Chan Man...

I Never Really Liked Richard

bigcitygirl5

[98]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 31
    Richard was really sweet and their relationship was really nice while it lasted, but they ultimately wanted different things so Chandler is definately the best for Monica!

lovepughugs

[99]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    Chandler!!

papillion1

[100]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 1

Chandler all the time!!!

Monica and Richard were kinda cute, but the problem is that from the beginning Richard seemed to be in love only with parts of Monica and basically just tolerate the rest of her, like "I'll understand your cleaning obsession if I have to, I'll marry you if I have to". On the other hand, Chandler loved Monica completely with her quirks and all, and he wanted to marry her and have a family with her, he didn't do it just because he felt he had to. Monica also loved and understood Chandler completely.