Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Ross and Rachel's fight

rayman

[1]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 1

WE WERE ON A BREAK

Just wondering about people's opinions; is it agreed they are both at fault?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ChipsTheButler

[2]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    The punches were unnecessary.

loey12886

[3]Jan 10, 2012
    • level: 10

It's hard to say. It just depends on how you look at it.

Rachel said "lets take a break" which could mean that they broke up, or just taking some time apart. But in the next episode Rachel said they broke up, so the way I see it I don't think he actually cheated on her

RaizenYusuke

[4]Jan 11, 2012
    • level: 28
    In the show when Rachel flew to London to stop Ross' second wedding she told her story with Ross and a totally netural party said they were on a break after hearing the story, so there you have lol. In all seriousness I always thought it was both of their faults, but they were too childish to see that and always put blame soly on the other one.

ChipsTheButler

[5]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 9
    Why did you include the Batman quote? It's hardly relevant.

RaizenYusuke

[6]Jan 23, 2012
    • level: 28
    The quotes are in my signature.

billys155

[7]Sep 13, 2012
    • level: 3

In my opinion,they actually were on a break.It's just the fact that Rachel couldn't realise what Ross did,and that's why she put a blame on him about the whole situation.

Edited on 09/13/2012 5:40pm

sduvoisin

[8]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 11

Ross says, "It took two people to break up this relationship." He also said about her having sex with Mark, "Okay yes I'd be devestated but I'd still want to be with you because it's you."

I think Ross was willing to take some responsibility BUT Rachel wanted him to take full responsbility. When Rachel set that expectation it made Ross retreat from compromise and dig in his heels about what happened.

If they had just talked about it they could've worked things out and not spent all the time apart. In a DVD commentary (I believe it was in Season 8 when they are talking about Ross being the father of Rachel's baby) the writers/producers say, "It's easier to write them as two people with history. When they were together coming up with stories that were funny and interesting were very challenging. We think that Ross and Rachel are much funnier broken up and messing with each other and having their weird jealousy moments then as a cute couple."

Romano338

[9]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 8

Well, she clearly said "we should take a break, a break for us". So...

Edited on 12/07/2012 10:23pm

sduvoisin

[10]Dec 7, 2012

That isn't what the captions say. "We should take a break. A break from us."

tv_fairy

[11]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 5

As far as Rachel was concerned, they were taking a break but not broken up and he slept with someone that same night. Ross on the other hand, thought that they were broken up and that she was sleeping with Mark that night. So I could see both of their sides of the argument, but I did think Ross was wrong in seemingly not taking any of the blame and that Rachel was wrong to expect him to take all the blame, if that makes sense.

Ross particularly annoyed me in the following episode when he was talking to Carol about it and didn't mention that he slept with Chloe. I always that was pretty douchy of him.

sduvoisin

[12]Dec 10, 2012

It was douchy of him but total Ross. Ross would present the information that would put him in the best position. I mean remember, "I can't believe I can't get all the states. I got a 1590 on my S.A.T" Monica then says, " 1390" and he responds, "Damn. I forgot you were here."

He tells the story that puts him in the best light ( don't we all.) He didn't tell her, "And I didn't sleep with anyone the day after we broke up." He just left it out as an "unimportant detail."

Romano338

[13]Dec 10, 2012
    But on the other hand, it's total Rachel too. The Queen of bad faith.
    She says that they were not on a break, but they were. She said it herself. Maybe their definition of "on the break" is not the same, but she can't say "we were not on a break".
    And remember, Joey accidentally have the ring in his fingers, and Rachel affirms that he proposed and actually said something. Which he didn't.
    I watch an episode from season 1 yesterday, and they all leave the appartment in a hurry and Monica says to Rachel "You got the keys?"
    Later when they come back, they don't have the keys and Rachel affrims that Monica said "GOt the keys" as an affirmation that she had it.

Rachel is of extreme bad faith.

I think they were both kinda wrong in this story.

sduvoisin

[14]Dec 13, 2012

Rachel does have a history of kinda hearing things her own way and doesn't take responsibilty for her own actions.

I agree with the ones who say they both were at fault. They both said and did things they shouldn't have. Although the One With the Ski Trip is one of my favorite episodes and that is the first one after the breakup.

And during the breakup the friends trapped in Monica's bedroom were hiliarious. "Yeah some people can be so self-involved." "Not the used wax!" "Wax the door shut we're never leaving." "I think I need a new walk." Great lines.

Romano338

[15]Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, they definitely are both wrong

sduvoisin

[16]Dec 14, 2012

How saw were you when Rachel gave Ross back the box of his stuff? And also how sweet was it when he brought back the Frankie Says Relax T-Shirt to Rachel?

sduvoisin

[17]Dec 14, 2012

saw should be sad.

modernfamily120

[18]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 20

Rachel told Ross they should take a break. Depressed because Ross thought that this meant an end to their relationship, he easily caves in.

Rachel never told Ross exactly what being on a break meant, though she should have as she was the one initiating the break. Rachel's fault.

Ross slept with someone else before he and Rachel were completely broken up. Ross's fault.

After Rachel saying that they were on a break, Ross would be depressed and lonely, and when Chloe comes along and tries to get him into bed, he goes along with it. Rahcel's fault and Chloe's fault (she knew about what happened with Ross and Rachel, he told her).

Ross does not tell Rachel what happened, instead he tries to hide it from her. Ross's fault and Joey and Chandler's fault (Ross should really stop taking advice from them. First, he gives up on Rachel and gets another girlfriend, Julie. Then he makes the list. Then he tries to hide the fact that he slept with someone else from Rachel).

It really is equal fault, and a little bit fault of Chloe, Joey, and Chandler.