Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

seasons in order

The_void_68

[61]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 18

Yes, they started to slip into one-dimensional characters near the end. Not completely, but slightly. That's one of the reasons that I dislike Rachel in the later seasons, and why Joey's humour went downhill.

But the biggest change was that of Chandler. Now I loved his relationship with Monica, they worked really well together, especially in Seasons 5 and 6. But then they got engaged and Chandler slipped into a rather dull, mature Chandler. Ross used to be the mature one, I miss the Chandler that would make chocolate milk and play Hide and Seek with the Chick and Duck!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MisterMatthews

[62]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    Although I prefer Chandler in seasons 1-5, his character development had to happen for his character to remain believable. In fact, I think in the end, his was the only one that was believable! To be married, to have children, Chandler needed to 'grow up'. At least his development matured him and went gradually, whereas the other ones got dumbed down and went rather suddenly.

SHUCKLEMAN

[63]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    MisterMatthews wrote:
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:
    I found Season 1 very, very boring. The only episodes I like are TOW The Blackout, TOW Two Parts, TOW The Birth, TOW The Poker and TOW Rachel Finds Out. There are some like TOW The Ick Factor, TOW The Fake Monica, TOW The Sonogram At The End and TOW The Evil Orthodontist which are abysmal. The worst episode in Season 9 (probably TO In Barbados, Part 2 or TOW The Donor) is better than the best in Season 1 in my opinion. Season 1 doesn't make me laugh. Seasons 5-10 can't stop me laughing.

I don't get that. In season 9, the characters and storylines are already totally worn-out. I also don't get what's boring about how everything was still new and original in season 1. I mean, by season 9 Ross and Rachel had already broke up and got together for like 6 times. What's the fun in that? And don't tell me the 'original' Chandler was less funny than married Chandler. What I liked about the Barbados-episodes was mainly Aisha Tyler (she should've ended up with Ross). I also liked the returning Hank Azaria as David, and I think Paul Rudd is hysterical!

Okay, Chandler was funnier in the earlier seasons. I must also add that Phoebe was funnier in the earlier seasons, because that's the truth. However, Monica, Rachel, Joey and Ross are all funnier in the later seasons, and Chandler and Phoebe are still very funny. They needed to be less weird, because I don't think many people could marry the season 1 Phoebe and Chandler without going mental.

About TO In Barbados... I watched Part 1. I was amazed. I thought that it was truly going to be the best finale to the best season, but then we had Part 2... Part 1 was fantastic. The climax to Phoebe's proposal was amazing. I was thinking 'If this happens at the end of Part 1, what happens in Part 2' the first time I watched it. I loved how the cleverly reused the idea of Phoebe getting her boyfriends mixed up (because this cleverly reminds us of the Ross and Rachel relationship in preparation for Rachel and Joey getting together) and also how the reused the idea of them being unable to go outside. Especially since both of them were made much funnier this time around. I loved Monica and Chandler's storyline 'Don't give people advice, Chandler.' and 'We need to meddle less.' The proposal thing was very tense, because Phoebe told us she would say yes to David, but we knew she loved Mike (although most of us liked David more). We knew something weird was going to happen.

Then came Part 2. This was a let down. Such a good season, then this. I wasn't overjoyed by the cliffhanger, although it did give us 3 of the funniest episodes ever of Friends, so I was okay with it. The Joey finding out thing, which was much less funny that Ross finding out, was boring. The table tennis storyline was, although hard for the actors to do in all fairness, also boring. The speech was the best part imo. Part 1 was so action-packed, that this paled in comparison.

TO After Joey and Rachel Kiss is possibly one of the best episodes ever. I have no idea how they managed to fit so much into one episode though. Monica, Phoebe and Chandler listening through the walls, Monica's hairstyles (and getting stuck in the shower lol), Rachel losing Joey, the plane journey, Rachel trying to tell Ross, but getting stopped by 'shampoo explosions', Mike breaking up with Precious, and being told to 'burn in hell' and to 'strap on a pair' in the process and Ross walking in on Rachel as Joey at the end, which was frankly better than the Season 9 cliffhanger, all twenty minutes!

Yeah, Ross and Rachel breaking up was slightly getting boring. But I liked the whole 'Are they together at the moment, or are they not?' thing during Seasons 8-10, because it got us thinking more. And they made Rachel pregnant, and gave us the first love triangle where we actually cared about all three characters involved. None of us cared in Julie or Paolo got rejected. We all cared about Joey. They didn't pull of their first 'love square' so well though. I liked Charlie, but Charlie and Joey seemed more weird than Joey and Rachel, and that's saying something.

Wow. Looks like I got a tad carried away here...

MisterMatthews

[64]Dec 23, 2007

I respect your opinions, but I disagree with all of them. I think the first three episodes in season 10 were among the weakest in the entire 'Friends'-run. Watching 'TOW Ross is fine', all I wanted to do is shoot him! God, he was annoying. Luckily Chandler made up for this with the adoption-story. Watching Rachel and Joey trying to have sex was embarrassing. People who have followed the characters for 9 years KNOW these two characters can't be more than just friends. If you talk about out-of-character...

But: to each his own. Like I said, there were things I liked about seasons 9 and 10 and it's not like I never watch them. They still make me laugh, and some are very good (like TOW Rachel's other sister).

SHUCKLEMAN

[65]Dec 25, 2007
    I wasn't a fan of Joey and Rachel, but their relationship created hilarious storylines.

I know some people don't like whiney Ross, but I do. I find him hilarious. He started off way back in Season 5 too, after his divorce with Emily. So obviously I like TOW Ross Is Fine. The awkwardness between the four of them is tangible, and a delight to watch. It also shows that things only seem right when Ross and Rachel are together. I does slightly annoy me how people think the writers thought Joey and Rachel were good together. They knew it was a good idea to attract more viewers, but they didn't think they were good as a couple, which is why they dated for no more than a week.

The worst thing about Joey/Rachel for me was how the dated after being roommates for a few years, and how it was Joey falling for Rachel originally. Joey, who had never fallen in love before, randomly fell in love with Rachel. Rachel wasn't ever in love with Joey. She just lusted after him, and I think that is very 'Rachel'. I also disliked it in mid-Season 8 where everything was 'Rachel, Rachel, Rachel', and Chandler and Monica seemed to do absolutely nothing, and they had to have combined storylines for about 5 episodes in a row.

I always love the premieres. The only ones I've never really 'liked' are 'TOW The Princess Leia Fantasy' and 'TOW Monica Gets a New Roommate', but 'TO After Joey and Rachel Kiss' has to be one of my favorites.

MisterMatthews

[66]Dec 26, 2007

I still think it was great that Joey finally got character development in season 8, with his crush on Rachel. Too bad that, after this, they reduced him to a dumb-ass again. I agree Rachel took up too big a part of season 8. I think the reason for the little storylines Chandler and Monica had, is that season 7 was for a really big part devoted to them already.

By the way, 'TOW the Princess Leia fantasy' cracks me up every time.

gwen13579

[67]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 8
    Favorite
    Least favorite

efc1991

[68]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 25
    efc1991 wrote:

Mine changes alot but here it is:

Season 4

Season 6

Season 5

Season 3

Season 8

Season 2

Season 1

Season 10

Season 7

Season 9

I have changed my mind

Season 4
    Season 6
    Season 3
    Season 2
    Season 5
    Season 8
    Season 1
    Season 10
    Season 7
    Season 9

hella_ilieva

[70]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    Favorite
    Least favorite

MisterMatthews

[71]Jan 5, 2008

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Mines goes something like 3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 7, 9, 8, 10. I didnt like the last one very much at all, and 8 very much it was very charlie related and..i dont know..and then 9 was pretty good seeing them with the baby and getting back to more friends-ish storylines i thought.

Season 9 was with Charlie and season 8 was when Rachel was pregnant.

stellarchick86

[72]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 32
    MisterMatthews wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Mines goes something like 3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 7, 9, 8, 10. I didnt like the last one very much at all, and 8 very much it was very charlie related and..i dont know..and then 9 was pretty good seeing them with the baby and getting back to more friends-ish storylines i thought.

Season 9 was with Charlie and season 8 was when Rachel was pregnant.

Right, i realized that after but then was too lazy to change it haha..thanks though. I meant I didnt care for season 8 too much because it was all pregnancy related, and even though season 9 was charlie related, i still liked it more than 10 because that was all monica/chandler/baby related (LOL). I like when shows can just have random funny episodes, like season 3 was, and dont focus on something that takes up all season ya know?

siisky

[73]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    Mine would be...

5 - loved the chandler/monica relationship, a LOT of great storylines, TOW all the kissing, the ride-along, joey is great here!
    2 - great sequel to season 1, lots of amazing episodes, richard/monica, joey on days
    9 - LOVE most epis ive watched, TOW ross's inapropriate song!
    8 - rachel pregnancy dominates it, TOW the videotape, red sweater
    6 - no real stories but some great episodes, TOWthe routine, ross's teeth, ross meets elizabeth's dad, ross is great here!
    3 - some of the greatest epis, but some very boring ones
    4 - few good storylines, other very flat
    1 - the actors werent very into their characters yet, TOW the blackout, the boobies, the candy hearts

*********SUBJECT TO CHANGE**********

Bliss_West88

[74]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 19

My order goes as follows:

10 - just so great and i loved how they ended the show

8 - i loved the whole pregnancy storyline

1 - so orginal

9 - Mike & Phoebe - Bless!!

3 - Ross & Rachel - Great!!

7 - Weddings - so funny!!

5 - Phoebes birth - hilarious!!

6 - I didn't like Elizabeth, so annoying

2 - I hated Julie & Poalo

1 - I despised Emily!!!

Bliss_West88

[75]Jan 9, 2008
    Bliss_West88 wrote:

My order goes as follows:

10 - just so great and i loved how they ended the show

8 - i loved the whole pregnancy storyline

1 - so orginal

9 - Mike & Phoebe - Bless!!

3 - Ross & Rachel - Great!!

7 - Weddings - so funny!!

5 - Phoebes birth - hilarious!!

6 - I didn't like Elizabeth, so annoying

2 - I hated Julie & Poalo

1 - I despised Emily!!!

Last one should be 4 - I despised Emily, typing error!!

SHUCKLEMAN

[76]Jan 9, 2008

9 - This is a masterpiece. Every episode is so hilarious, especially at the beginning of the season.

5 - This is great. This is when the transition between the early and later seasons began. Joey became more stupid, Ross became more whiny, we started to laugh at Chandler instead of with him, etc.

10 - I got the impression that the best storylines were being saved for last when watching this season.

4 - Phoebe being pregnant was hilarious, and Ross's engagement was a very interesting season storyline. This season did seem a bit 'all over the place' at times, but it was hilarious.

7 - The season storyline was quite poor, because Chandler and Monica are made for each other, so we knew everything would work out, but the individual episodes were hilarious, especially towards the end of the season.

6 - The episodes in general were really funny, and this season has one of my favorite sets of reccuring characters. TOW Ross Got High is absolutely hilarious.

8 - Meh. Most of the episodes were funny, but Joey falling for Rachel was really odd. Also, it seemed to revolve around Rachel. It was always 'Rachel', 'Rachel', 'Rachel', and I felt a bit sorry for Mondler. They had just got married and got nothing.

3 - Mostly good epsidoes. TOW No One's Ready, TOW The Football and TOW Without The Ski Trip are my favorites. Ross and Rachel breaking up was sad, but a good decision by the writers. The whole season had a depressing tone though. Monica and Richard, Chandler and Janice, etc.

2 - Some good episodes. TOW Two Parties is possibly one of the funniest things I've ever watched. I also like TOW The List, TO After The Superbowl and TOW Ross's New Girlfriend. I liked Ross and Rachel getting together in this season, although episodes like TOW The Prom Video and TOW Ross Finds Out seem a tad overrated to me.

1 - Again, a few good epsiodes. TOW Two Parts, TOW The Birth, TOW The Blackout, TOW All The Poker and TOW Rachel Finds Out are the only episodes that I would go out of my way to watch though.

Edited on 01/09/2008 9:25am

stellarchick86

[77]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 32
    i definetly agree with you shuckleman about season 8 and rachel, thats why it was one of my least faves...and Im probably in the minority about season 10 because i didnt care for it too much. Like I said I wish they wouldve ended at Cen Perk instead of the whole "lets get coffee" "where?" thing..i thought that was dumb.

Bliss_West88

[78]Jan 10, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    i definetly agree with you shuckleman about season 8 and rachel, thats why it was one of my least faves...and Im probably in the minority about season 10 because i didnt care for it too much. Like I said I wish they wouldve ended at Cen Perk instead of the whole "lets get coffee" "where?" thing..i thought that was dumb.

Yeah, i agree, it def should of end with them all in Central Perk, but i did really enjoy series 10, I loved how they made it clear where they were all going with their lives, But again series 8 was hilarious but it did revolve around Rachel, Phoebe didn;t really get a look in on that series

SHUCKLEMAN

[79]Jan 10, 2008
    The only thing that I didn't like about The Last One was that it seemed too much like a normal season 10 episode to me. TOW Ross's Wedding, TOW The Proposal, TO Hundredth all seemed like more 'special episodes' to me. Don't get me wrong, The Last One was very special, but not as special as it should've been.

MolemanRules

[80]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 3

Season 3: Every episode is a classic. Totally funny with a few serious storylines in it too.

Season 2: 2nd half is up there with Season 3. First half I don't know that much about but from what I've seen they are OK.

Season 4: The chick and the duck make this season for me.

Season 5: Chandler and Monica's secret relationship was entertaining and funny but after they were found out the season went a bit downhill.

Season 1: Undeveloped characters and poor picture quality slightly ruined the season's quality but that's to be expected for first seasons.

Season 10: Love the way the latter episodes all set up for the finale.

Season 9: Far too much Rachel for my liking but some very funny storylines

Season 8: Too much Rachel to even more of a extent than S9. Very disapointing lack of Chandler and Monica.

Season 6: Ross and Rachel's 'marriage' story dragged on far too long. Plus Chandler got ruined when he moved from Joey's to Monica's. Picked up a bit towards the end.

Season 7: Good start but dropped off againwith many many dull episodes mostly revolving around Chandler and Monica's preparartions for their weddings.