Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

seasons in order

  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [81]Jan 22, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I like when shows can just have random funny episodes, like season 3 was, and dont focus on something that takes up all season ya know?

    That's exactly how I feel about it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [82]Jan 22, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Like I said I wish they wouldve ended at Cen Perk instead of the whole "lets get coffee" "where?" thing..i thought that was dumb.

    I thought that was the only way they could have ended the series. "Let's get coffee". "Where?" It's the perfect closing line for Friends.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [83]Jan 22, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Well yea, but like I said in this thread or another thead I wish they ended AT central park sitting around talking like they did in the pilot where Chandlers talkin about how hes dreaming and all of a sudden theres a telephone "there" and theres his mom on the phone or something like that.
    Seinfeld was that way in that where they are sitting in the jail in the end, Jerry and George were saying stuff to eachother that was exactly like what they said in their pilot. So it wouldnt have been all too original in that sense but it still wouldve been good I thought. But either way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Falaybient

    Falaybient

    [84]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 05/15/04
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 77
    Wow. This is why I feel embarrassed about admitting I like Friends. Threads like these. Full of your typical airheaded bimbos who think points like "I DON'T LIKE (CHARACTER'S) HAIR IN THIS SEASON" or "THIS CHARACTER INTERFERED IN A RELATIONSHIP" are valid criticisms of an entire season comprising of over 20 episodes. The fact of the matter is that the early days were well written and brilliantly performed by a cast that had excellent chemistry together. I live for the days when the show wasn't mainly watched by vain little fan girls who get emotionally attached to fictional relationships. A chimpanzee could write better scripts than some of the stuff that was being drolled out after season 6, but who cares? At least the characters have nice hair.

    For the sake of argument, my rankings are as follow: 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 7, 10
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SHUCKLEMAN

    SHUCKLEMAN

    [85]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 03/03/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 560
    ^The change didn't happen after season 6 imo. It happened gradually, and during Season 4. Phoebe thinking her mother's spirit is in a cat is more of a season 10 storyline than a season 1 storyline. Same goes for Monica cutting off Chandler's toe, Phoebe having her brother's babies, people getting turkeys stuck on their heads, Phoebe and Ross seing Monica and Chandler through a window. If I had to choose whether to put those episodes in season 1 or 10, I'd definately say 10, because they went more crazy then.

    And Rachel was pretty mature in season 3, but in TOW The Dance Partner, Rachel cries loads, and episodes like TOW Ross Got High definately spells 'Immature' for Rachel. Chandler became less sarcastic before Season 6 too. Get your average Season 6 episode, compare Chandler's sarcasm to Season 1. There is a major difference. And Ross came whiney before Season 6 too. He actually first becomes after his wedding fiasco, and I'm guessing the writers found it so funny they decided to keep Ross whiney after his divorce.

    Yes, I agree with you, there is a change with the seasons, but it does NOT happen after season 6. It is a fairly gradual change, but if I had to pick a good spot, I would say it was during Season 4, somewhere around TOW Phoebe's Uterus, TOW Embryos, TOW Rachel's Crush, or TOW Joey's Dirty Day. The episode where Chandler gets over Kathy, and TOW The Free Porn make this very clear. This is also incidently where Friends enters into 'dangerous waters' (basically, main characters get pregnant, and main characters get married during the show, etc.).

    And I'm sure you've heard people refer to TOW The Embryos as the farewell to classic Friends?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_friend21

    super_friend21

    [86]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 550
    All this close analysis crap of Friends is bull. If you like a series fine. Dont say Chandler's sarcasm lacked after a certain time is bad - It means he is growing up. You cant expect the characters to be the same throughout the span of 10 years. And Rachel crying in 'TOW The Ballroom Dancing' was one single storyline. Characters have to grow up or it isnt realistic. They started off as 20 year olds and ended up as 30+ year olds. The only thing I agree on is Phoebe became more 'normal as the series progressed which was wrong but again - she grew up and still kept her values 'TOW The Fertility Test'.

    And I didnt laugh 'at' Chandler once, I laughed with him. Another thing: Season 8 was Rachel-centric but thats because - wait for it - she was pregnant with Ross' child. Will they get back together? But then again she always inadvertently steals Monica's thunder, doesnt she?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_friend21

    super_friend21

    [87]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 550

    My seasons in order are:

    Season 8: Brilliant standout episodes in this season
    Season 10: Might be the graphics...End of an era
    Season 5
    Season 9: Small dip in 2nd half but the 1st half was superb
    Season 4
    Season 7: Again some weak episodes
    Last 3 are tied
    Season 2
    Season 3
    Season 1

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [88]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    super_friend21 wrote:
    All this close analysis crap of Friends is bull.

    Uh, no it isn't . It's one of the purposes of this message board. I find it more entertaining and interesting than the games that are going on...

    super_friend21 wrote:
    If you like a series fine. Dont say Chandler's sarcasm lacked after a certain time is bad - It means he is growing up. You cant expect the characters to be the same throughout the span of 10 years.

    That's exactly what I said. But that doesn't mean people can't prefer a certain 'time period' for a character. I like the sarcastic Chandler from seasons 1-5 more. Yes, he had to grow up, but Monica walked over him too much.

    super_friend21 wrote:
    And I didnt laugh 'at' Chandler once, I laughed with him.

    In later seasons, I laughed at him.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [89]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    I have just seen 'TOW Two parties' (season 2) again, and I can't say how much fun it was. I can't believe this is the same show as seasons 8, 9 and 10. I can enjoy just seeing Chandler run and jump around. He doesn't even have to say something funny. His gestures and his movements alone make him ten times as funny as he was in the later seasons. But he also has great sarcastic remarks he won't have again later on in the show.

    I love Rachel here and the way she acts. Not the crazy, dumbed down Rachel from seasons 8-9-10 I don't care about. Here, in season 2, she's sweet and caring and also stunningly beautiful. I also like Ross. He isn't whiny!!! He's funny because he's insecure, he's in awkward situations, yet he isn't whiny about it.

    And at the end Rachel is depressed because her parents are getting a divorce, so she talks about it with Chandler in the hall, and then they hug. Where do you see anything remotely this touching in the second half of the show? I love this!

    Edited on 01/23/2008 7:12pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Cutepuppy917

    Cutepuppy917

    [90]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 07/25/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 187

    Fav -

    3 - its just so FUNNY

    10 - Joey and Rachel (my FAVORITE couple)

    4 - i really liked Ross and Emily

    9 - Great Season

    8 - a Pretty Good Season

    5 - Some good Story Lines

    7 - i thought it was pretty good

    6 - an Not Bad Season

    1 - OK season

    2 - i HATED Julie i cant even watch the first and second disc of season 2 because i hate her so much

    Edited on 01/23/2008 7:30pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SHUCKLEMAN

    SHUCKLEMAN

    [91]Jan 24, 2008
    • member since: 03/03/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 560
    ^super_friend 21, I'm actually on your side. I feel Friends got better as it went on, and I think the beginning of Season 9 was the prime of Friends, all I was saying in my post was that I think Friends changed during season 4, not at the end of season 6, and I don't understand how people critisize TOW The Sharks, but then go on to say how funny they found it when Phoebe wore 3D glasses to her mother's funeral, or how funny it was when Monica met the woman who was using her credit card and took tap-dancing lessons with her!

    And Chandler (and Phoebe) may be less funny in the later seasons, but Monica, Rachel, Joey and Ross are all funnier, and Chandler and Phoebe are still VERY funny.

    About the touching storylines, yes I do miss them in the later seasons, but I watch Friends mainly for the comedy, and I simply find them funnier later on. We do still have some nice storylines though, especially with Monica and Chandler preparing for getting a baby, and Chandler worrying that he can't be a father, and it is truly wonderful to see how much he's grown from Season 1, but yeah, Friends does lose the storylines like that towards the end.

    And I must say, TOW Two Parties is an absolutely hilarious episode. In an interview, Kauffman said that they struggled to put a 'moral' to the episode, because they had so many funny ideas to use, and by the looks of things, they didn't bother putting them in in the later seasons, and just went all out comedy instead (which incidentally, I prefer).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [92]Jan 24, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:
    ^super_friend 21, I'm actually on your side. I feel Friends got better as it went on, and I think the beginning of Season 9 was the prime of Friends, all I was saying in my post was that I think Friends changed during season 4, not at the end of season 6, and I don't understand how people critisize TOW The Sharks, but then go on to say how funny they found it when Phoebe wore 3D glasses to her mother's funeral, or how funny it was when Monica met the woman who was using her credit card and took tap-dancing lessons with her! And Chandler (and Phoebe) may be less funny in the later seasons, but Monica, Rachel, Joey and Ross are all funnier, and Chandler and Phoebe are still VERY funny. About the touching storylines, yes I do miss them in the later seasons, but I watch Friends mainly for the comedy, and I simply find them funnier later on. We do still have some nice storylines though, especially with Monica and Chandler preparing for getting a baby, and Chandler worrying that he can't be a father, and it is truly wonderful to see how much he's grown from Season 1, but yeah, Friends does lose the storylines like that towards the end. And I must say, TOW Two Parties is an absolutely hilarious episode. In an interview, Kauffman said that they struggled to put a 'moral' to the episode, because they had so many funny ideas to use, and by the looks of things, they didn't bother putting them in in the later seasons, and just went all out comedy instead (which incidentally, I prefer).
    I do agree Friends changed alot in season 4...Im also one who likes TOW the sharks and TOW the fake monica (although I kind of thinks that a different kind of funny than that, its more of an ironic kind of funny that a laugh out loud funny) and I also liked the 3d glasses thing (i think thats more the same as the sharks). I do agree about Chandler and Phoebe getting less funny and the rest getting more funny as it goes on, but like people said they grew up.As far as the funny episodes go and the touching episodes go, Id have to switch with what you said. As they got married, had kids, etc they had more touching storylines than the beginning (unless you wanna count the last 5 minutes of TOW Heckles Dies, I dont really know what else there is..unless TOW the morning after?) and I dont agree that it got funnier as it went on..it was funny but I think it was in its prime with the middle seasons, and I definetly dont think s9 was the prime. Everyone just has a different opinionas to their taste and thats what makes this board so great!
    Edited on 01/24/2008 11:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of reblex310

    reblex310

    [93]Jan 25, 2008
    • member since: 08/20/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 966

    7

    4

    9

    8

    1

    3

    10

    6

    5

    2

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chandie

    Chandie

    [94]Jan 25, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 375

    Falaybient wrote:
    Wow. This is why I feel embarrassed about admitting I like Friends. Threads like these. Full of your typical airheaded bimbos who think points like "I DON'T LIKE (CHARACTER'S) HAIR IN THIS SEASON" or "THIS CHARACTER INTERFERED IN A RELATIONSHIP" are valid criticisms of an entire season comprising of over 20 episodes. The fact of the matter is that the early days were well written and brilliantly performed by a cast that had excellent chemistry together. For the sake of argument, my rankings are as follow: 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 7, 10

    I don´t agree with your ranking (I really liked season 8, but the first season not so much), but otherwise I really agree with you. It´s embarrasing to see how many people on this board that likes a season just because of one relationship (Ross/Rachel, Chandler/Monica and especially Joey/Rachel since that was obviously just way to create a cliffhanger). Or they dislike a season because "Emily acted like a b****, I want Ross and Rachel together". Do these people watch the show to see a great sitcom, with a great cast and with great writers or do they watch Friends to see two characters make out with each other?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SHUCKLEMAN

    SHUCKLEMAN

    [95]Jan 25, 2008
    • member since: 03/03/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 560
    A lot of people use 'I hate Emily' as an excuse to hate season 4, but apart from that, I don't really see any of that going on.

    Also, what about when people say Ross/Rachel is the reason they like TOW Ross Finds Out, TOW The Prom Video, TOW Ross's Wedding, etc. so great.

    And certain couples did make seasons funnier. Most notably, Monica and Chandler are the ones who really what made season 5 what it is.

    And my favorite season is 9, even though I preferred Ross/Rachel and Phoebe/David to Joey/Rachel and Phoebe/Mike.

    And the earlier seasons did have more touching storylines in my opinion. The later seasons had some beautiful storylines too (especially seasons 9 and 10), but I like them because I simply find them so much funnier. I don't mind shark porn episodes as long as they make me laugh, which the earlier seasons didn't do too well at times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Falaybient

    Falaybient

    [96]Jan 25, 2008
    • member since: 05/15/04
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 77
    Cutepuppy917 wrote:
    2 - i HATED Julie i cant even watch the first and second disc of season 2 because i hate her so much
    She did absolutely nothing wrong, so unless you can think of a valid reason of disliking her, I'm just going to think you're a racist!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [97]Jan 25, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Yeah..I mean if youre a Rachel and Ross shipper than okay but you dont have to go to that extent...I thought she was nice and could be funny/interesting, personally. I dont think I hated any of the characters to that extent personally and it had 10 seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [98]Jan 28, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    Falaybient wrote:
    Cutepuppy917 wrote:
    2 - i HATED Julie i cant even watch the first and second disc of season 2 because i hate her so much
    She did absolutely nothing wrong, so unless you can think of a valid reason of disliking her, I'm just going to think you're a racist!

    That's bullsh!t. So if you don't like a character, you automatically become a racist? What sheer nonsense.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [99]Jan 28, 2008
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    As far as the funny episodes go and the touching episodes go, Id have to switch with what you said. As they got married, had kids, etc they had more touching storylines than the beginning (unless you wanna count the last 5 minutes of TOW Heckles Dies, I dont really know what else there is..unless TOW the morning after?)

    In the later seasons, with all the weddings and births and stuff, it wasn't more touching, it was just slammed in harder and deeper by the writers! They had to ram it down our throats. Seasons 1-5: the touching moments were subtle. Like when Joey moves out and Chandler is left behind all by himself. Don't you think that was a great touching storyline? Later in the series, the creators insist on beating us over the head with how 'emotional' it all was supposed to be.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [100]Jan 29, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Alright then...
    Yea it was a touching moment, but like I said the first few seasons they were few and far between, the last seasons had more, whether you wanted it to be or not. I dont see how with all that rachel and ross had been through and all the bickering that them just stopping and looking at their baby for the first time that was barely the size of a peanut isnt touching.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.