Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

The most unexpected moment ever!

What was the most unexpected moment in Friends?

Robertoide

[1]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 3

Some other moments that I think that no one was expecting for:

Ross returning from China with a new girlfriend (season 1)
    Ross sleeping with the xerox girl (season 3)
    Ross hooking up with Janice (season 5)
    Rachel getting pregnant (season 7)
    Joey falling in love with Rachel (season 8 )
    Janice appearing in the hospital in labor, the same day Rachel was (season 8 )
    Mike coming to Barbados to ask Phoebe to marry him (season 9).

I think that Rachel and Ross getting married is indubitably the most unexpected moment.

What do you think? Let me know

Edited on 09/11/2008 5:08am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cutieflutie1216

[2]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 50
    I watched Friends when it originally aired and when Monica and Chandler hooked up it was shocking! A lot of Friends fans started watching the show in the later seasons or in syndication and already knew about Mondler. But when it originally happened, and so suddenly, it was scandalous!

grace87

[3]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 34
    I agree with cutieflutie.. it was pretty shocking.. but IMO the most unexpected moment is Ross saying the wrong name at tghe wedding!!!

Elwingda

[4]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 10
    I find it difficult to vote here because the first episodes of Friends I watched were those at the beginning of season 5 so I didn't really know the characters and therefore couldn't really understand the significance of Ross saying Rachel's name or Chandler and Monica sleeping together. But I think that if I had watched the series from the beginning, those two moments would have been the most unexpected.

Out of my own experience (after I started watching the series in order), I recall being quite surprised by Rachel getting pregnant and then Janice appearing in the hospital. Also Janice's appearance as Ross's girlfriend was quite a shocking moment.

Robertoide

[5]Sep 11, 2008

I think that almost all of Janice appearances were unexpected

Let's see:
    She turned out to be Chandler's blind date (season 1)
    She turned out to be Chandler's cyber-(girl)friend (season 2)
    She appears while Chandler was getting pedicure (or manicure, I'm not sure) (season 4)
    She hooked up with Ross (season 5)
    Her voice appears in "Chandler's" mixed tape, that he gave to Monica (season 6)
    She appears at Monica's restaurant, to congratulate her and ends up inviting herself to the wedding (season 7)
    She appears while Rachel's in labor (season
    She appears in the same clinic where Monica and Chandler are doing their fertility tests (season 9)
    Finally, she turned out to be the person interested in buy the house next door to the one that Chandler and Monica wanted to buy (season 10).

rebachick94

[6]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 16

Ross was Rachel's baby's daddy! What?

Robertoide

[7]Sep 11, 2008
    rebachick94 wrote:

I don't think that was so unexpected, after all we all knew that somebody had to be the father and Ross was one of the strongest possibilities. It would be unexpected if the father was Gunther or Paolo, for example.

tvatitsbest

[8]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 2
    for me was when monica and and chandler was in london even my parents where shocked by it lol and my sis.

tafj73

[9]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 30
    For me, it's a close race between Monica and Chandler sleeping together and Ross saying "Rachel," but I chose Ross at the altar since I felt it was a better cliffhanger, because it really made me wonder "Wow, what's going to happen next?"

FriendsSvuLost8

[10]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 25
    For me it was Monica and Chandler in London (I started watching before season 4). I remember being speechless for days .

ihoppers_cheska

[11]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    the monica/chandler one was DEFINITELY a shocking moment.. but since the episode when they were on the beach, i kinda already had the feeling they were gonna hook up one way or another. But yea.. that was DEFINITELY shock worthy.. just the way they shot that scene, you know? but i chose the altar one.. because, well.. i thought all throughout the finale that rachel was gonna go there and ross was gonna realize he loved her blah blah blah.. but he didn't. he went through w/ the wedding! and i thought "well, he's saying his vows now, and rachel is just sitting there... this wedding is gonna push through." ...but then he said rachel's name.. and i was just... "OH HOLY...!!!" That moment was pretty good. Very chilling..

Bliss_West88

[12]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    I would prob say that mine was the twins, but only because i actually only started watching the show prop on TV from season 7, i watched the rest on video/DVD LOL! I was only 6 when it firsted premiered LOL!! But out of the whole show, it would prob be Rachel having Ross' baby, that one really got me LOL!!

futuresounds

[13]Sep 13, 2008
    When Ross came from China with a new girlfriend, that was pretty shocking

SMGslayer97

[14]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 34
    I think you forgot a big one, TOW Monica and Chandler's wedding when Monica says she's not pregnant and it turns out that Rachel is. That was WHOA!

Robertoide

[15]Sep 13, 2008
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    I think you forgot a big one, TOW Monica and Chandler's wedding when Monica says she's not pregnant and it turns out that Rachel is. That was WHOA!

Actually I didn't

Ross returning from China with a new girlfriend (season 1)
    Ross sleeping with the xerox girl (season 3)
    Ross hooking up with Janice (season 5)
    Rachel getting pregnant (season 7)
    Joey falling in love with Rachel (season 8 )
    Janice appearing in the hospital in labor, the same day Rachel was (season 8 )
    Mike coming to Barbados to ask Phoebe to marry him (season 9).

tvownsLEXIE

[16]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    I thought that Monica and Chandler having twins was a really unexpected moment. But Phoebe saying 'no' when Mike came to Barbados was also pretty shocking. I can't decided what the MOST shocking was though.

Kindra27

[17]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 4

For me it was definetly Monica and Chandler, because before I never felt something could be there. After they became a couple, it was really nice. I actually think that they are one of the very few TV show couples that made it over 6 seasons wothout 'jumping the shark'. Of course, the show was not only about them, but putting lead actors in a stable ongoing relationship is always risky.

With Ross and Rachel I always felt there will be surprising moments. I almost expected that something would come up during his second wedding. What was a bit surprising for me was the ending. I knew (or at least hoped) they would not end Friends without having them together at last, but it felt a bit rushed. Ok, you can say the 10 years sum up to that and facing both of them with the thought of really beeing seperated was necessary to realize that they belong together.I just would have liked maybe two more epis building up to that. Both stop (esp. Ross) dating others and doing things together and the the big bang with Rachel moving in the air. Actually, they did things like that (both of them on the playground and so on). I just would have liked if the 'trying to find someone else' would have stopped earlier.

With Phoebe, I was always prepared for anything to happen, that's what I liked most about her. When she got married I just thought: wow, that's so 'normal' for her. I liked her wedding much more than Monica and Chandlers, because even if all that could go wrong went wrongg but in the end it was only necessary that the got married.

Joey falling for Rachel was a story arc I liked, but if felt weird. Joey was always the big boy for me, never growing up. It was hard to imagine him in a serious relationship. But I really enjoyed his moments with Rachel, because he looked so vulnerable and sad. That was so not 'the happy, live the moment and not caring what will be' Joey. I actually liked that they did not end the show with him finding 'his girl' (btw, I never say the spin off, so I do not know if he found her eventually). Actually, if they ever do a Friends movie, I would like to have this, Joey getting married.

Edited on 09/29/2008 7:36am

rebachick94

[18]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 16
    Robertoide wrote:
    rebachick94 wrote:

I don't think that was so unexpected, after all we all knew that somebody had to be the father and Ross was one of the strongest possibilities. It would be unexpected if the father was Gunther or Paolo, for example.

I saw that episode way before I saw anyting from Ross and Rachel's history so it still was a very unexpected moment for me. Friends started the year I was born.

banannie

[19]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 22

There were a lot of unexpected moments in Friends. Like Mondler hooking up in London, Rachel getting pregnant or Rachel falling in love with Joey.

But for me, the most shocking and unexpected moment was Ross saying Rachel's name at his wedding with Emily. When I watched this, at first I was like "What??? Did he just say Rachel???".

freakyfriend101

[20]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 2
    The most unexpected moment for me was when rachel found out that she was going to have baby!
    Edited on 11/28/2008 4:54pm