Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Things That Concern/Bother You

harryathouse

[1]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 18

What things about the show bother you? Maybe out of character moments? Or maybe an obvious mistake that should of been edited out?

In my opinion, they should of edited out a mistake that I spotted in 'The Last One'. At the end of the episode where Ross and Phoebe cuddle at the airport because Rachel wouldn't stay, the camera zooms out to reveal the end of the set floor. It was pretty obvious and the editors MUST of spotted if a 13 year old kid can! LOL

What bothered you?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yousifaltaha

[2]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 7
    the inconsistencies of the show...especially when they showed that chandler didnt recognize rachel when he met her and then later they revealed that they have met a couple of times back in the 80s

shriprema

[3]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 21
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    the inconsistencies of the show...especially when they showed that chandler didnt recognize rachel when he met her and then later they revealed that they have met a couple of times back in the 80s

Well, Chandler hung out with Ross in university and only saw Rachel when he went over for Thanksgiving(s).

What really bothered me is the UN-pairing of Joey/Phoebe. Everyone says it would have been cliche, but is predictability isn't ALWAYS bad.

Miles65UK

[4]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    What annoyed me was the way Ross sacked the male Nanny. This was/is a popular show and this display of stereotypical behavior only tends to reinfornce resentment.

Also how they dealt with the Rachel/Joey atraction. That was just silly.

yousifaltaha

[5]Apr 1, 2008
    shriprema wrote:
    yousifaltaha wrote:

Well, Chandler hung out with Ross in university and only saw Rachel when he went over for Thanksgiving(s).

What really bothered me is the UN-pairing of Joey/Phoebe. Everyone says it would have been cliche, but is predictability isn't ALWAYS bad.

yea but also he kissed her in that college party.

also "the one with the rumor" where they insult intersex people,never payed attention to it,but when I saw the letter coming from the intersex society to NBC expressing their feelings on how hurt they were seeing that episode on their favourite show.

hungjeremy

[6]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 1
    Miles65UK wrote:
    Also how they dealt with the Rachel/Joey atraction. That was just silly.

That's one of the parts I didn't really enjoy watching. At first it was a little fresh, then it took a long time and we know it won't get getting anywhere so I kinda "dropped out". It wasn't too interesting.

cutieflutie1216

[7]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 50

Of course the meeting of Rachel and Chandler bothered me. They met at least three times before the pilot, let alone Rachel was the obsession of Chandler's best friend and Chandler made out with her.

The disapperance of Phoebe's family members also bothers me a lot. Throughout the series she met family members that seemed very important to her such as her birth mother, her father, her brother, and then they just disappeared.

The amount of time spent with Ben and Emma. Especially Ben, who seems to disappear for long stretches at a time. Also Monica's lack of time with her nephew. Her personality is very "mother hen." In real life she would have made it a priority to spend lots of time with him.

When the friends are moving out of the apartment and find the handcuffs, they determine they belong to Nana... but that was never Nana's apartment! It belonged to Jack's mother who moved to Florida. That bugs me too.

SHUCKLEMAN

[8]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 11
    ^Wouldn't Jack's mother be Nana? Nana is just a name for grandmother I think.

Miles65UK

[9]Apr 3, 2008
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:

LOL. Yeah it was nana's apartment!

stellarchick86

[10]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 32
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:

Yeah it is just another name for g-mother; however, when they said this about the handcuffs they were alluding to the one down in FL and they never called her nana before, so it almost like they were alluding to Judys mother, the one who died in 'nana dies twice'. Its hard to explain but I get where Cutieflutie is getting at.

drrdheroe

[11]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 13
    i always want to see ben meting emma (not that i like ben) or having an episode on s8 that show ross telling ben that he is going to have a sister that should happen and it always annoy me that they didn't

mileycyrusxx

[12]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 23
    SHUCKLEMAN wrote:

yeah i agree ^^. i think they refer to nana as grandmother for both like above and not just the nana that died. there is more than one nane.

i didnt like emily!! :S lo

MisterMatthews

[13]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 5

It always bothered me how they gradually changed the relationship between Rachel and Chandler. In the pilot, it's clear they had never met before, so Monica introduces them to each other. This storyline is kept consistent in 'The one with the flashback' in season 3, that takes place a year before the start of the events in season 1. Chandler accidentally meets Rachel in the bar that will soon turn into the coffee house. But then in season 5, all of a sudden Rachel knew Chandler all along because she came to Monica's at Thanksgiving when they were in high school and there she met this friend of Monica's brother Ross- two years in a row.

Up until that point I can buy that they forgot about each other because they never interacted. But in season 10 we see a flashback in which Chandler interacts with Rachel on a party- and then he and Rachel kiss!! But then a few years later when she returns to Monica she doesn't remember Chandler?

I know many more sitcoms suffer from this kind of lack of continuïty, but it bothered me more with Friends, because they were so good with continuïty in every other aspect of the show.

(Edited for typo's)

Edited on 04/11/2008 3:51pm

mileycyrusxx

[14]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 23
    Yeah that is very, very true. And how they kissed .. but maybe Rachel was too drunk to remember though. Cause she was drunk when she kissed Chandler.

I hate how they had to end the show . I wish there were heaps more.

yousifaltaha

[15]Apr 9, 2008
    MisterMatthews wrote:

It always bothered me fow they gradually changed the realtionship between Rachel and Chandler. In the pilot, it's clear they had never met before, so Monica introduces them to each other. This storyline is kept consistent in 'The one with the flashback' in season 3, that takes place a year before the start of the events in season 1. Chandler accidentally meets Rachel in the bar that will soon turn into the coffee house. But then in season 5, all of a sudden Rachel knew Chandler all along because she came to Monica's at Thanksgiving when they were in high school and there she met this friend of Monica's brother Ross- two years in a row.

Up until that point I can buy that they forgot about each other because they never interacted. But in season 10 we see a flashback in which Chandler interacts with Rachel on a party- and then he and Rachel kiss!! But then a few years later when she returns to Monica she doesn't remember Chandler?

I know many more sitcoms suffer from this kind of lack of continuïty, but it bothered me more with Friends, because they were so good with continuïty in every other aspect of the show.

yes that was very weird,its either one of the big mistakes that the writers have done...or either that rachel ignored chandler when she met him.

but im bothered when rachel said that she had her old key in TOW the late thanksgiving...where its clearly that they changed the lock in season 8

tyleah12

[16]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    All of the above bother me! Another thing is that Joey's sister comes to Rachel for help when she is pregnant (at the same time as Rachel is pregnant) and a large portion of the episode is about Joey and his sister...then nothing about his niece/nephew is ever heard.As Emma is over 1 yr old when the show finished Dina must have had her baby too?!!!! I never really got into the Joey spin-off so i'm not sure if it was mentioned then? I didn't like that show much but i do wish there were more Friends!
    Edited on 06/10/2008 11:52am

shriprema

[17]Jun 11, 2008
    Im miffed about the fact that the writers abandoned Ben's character once Emma came along

hella_ilieva

[18]Jun 11, 2008
    It was unrealistic that Rachel's parents weren't there when she gave birth to Emma!!!

free_the_WM3

[19]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 12

there was a lot of continuity/set errors throughout the show.

-rach not remembering chandler
    -at monica's wedding ross says "ive never walked down the aisle knowing it cant' end in divorce"..he walked Carol down the aisle!
    - pheobe's birth mum is never mentioned again
    - when joey and rach ended their relationship, it was never mentioned again....and they just went on like normal. They are friends and are obviously close but they dont seem depressed that they didnt work out. Rach and ross's relationship is always bought up as is monica and Richards.
    - it was so obvious that the coffee cups rarely had coffee in them
    - monica's bathroom suddenly changed, the toilet moved and the only thing joey did when renovationg the bathroom was change the tiles.
    - it really bothered me how with phoebe's wedding, there wasnt much said about it until the actual wedding day. With monica's wedding, they went looking for the dress, they talked about the band, maid of honour ect. it would have been nice to see more of pheobe's wedding.

there are so many more...but ive gone blank

but even with all these things, i loved the show and so wish it was still on

shriprema

[20]Jun 12, 2008
    free_the_WM3 wrote:

there was a lot of continuity/set errors throughout the show.

-rach not remembering chandler
    -at monica's wedding ross says "ive never walked down the aisle knowing it cant' end in divorce"..he walked Carol down the aisle!
    - pheobe's birth mum is never mentioned again
    - when joey and rach ended their relationship, it was never mentioned again....and they just went on like normal. They are friends and are obviously close but they dont seem depressed that they didnt work out. Rach and ross's relationship is always bought up as is monica and Richards.
    - it was so obvious that the coffee cups rarely had coffee in them
    - monica's bathroom suddenly changed, the toilet moved and the only thing joey did when renovationg the bathroom was change the tiles.
    - it really bothered me how with phoebe's wedding, there wasnt much said about it until the actual wedding day. With monica's wedding, they went looking for the dress, they talked about the band, maid of honour ect. it would have been nice to see more of pheobe's wedding.

there are so many more...but ive gone blank

but even with all these things, i loved the show and so wish it was still on

i completely agree with you about Phoebe's wedding day