Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Things That Concern/Bother You

NintendoFan2000

[41]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 5

When everyone else (usually Phoebe or Rachel, I guess) rips on Chandler for no reason. I like it when it's right after he does something stupid and then gets made fun of, but I don't get why he gets made fun of without doing anything.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HarmlessAngel

[42]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 10

most of what is alrady said on here doesnt bother me,

but what really does is the ages and DOB of each character

they are never made clear, like ross remains 29 for 3 seasons and all that!

HarmlessAngel

[43]Jul 17, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:

jraja02 wrote:
    Chandler gaining weight in like mid season 7ish and his tan! It really annoyed me, 'cause I thought of Chandler being a hottie, but that tan and weight thingy bothered me...Plus no one ever mentioned it...

So Matthew Perry isnt allowed to gain weight or get a tan like everyone else? Interesting.

Matthew was addicted to painkillers at the time of when he was skinny (s7) and then kicked it when he gained more weight (s. Did you ever see how Anna Nicole Smith was fluctuating her weight all the time? She was addicted to more drugs Im sure than you can shake a stick at, had nothing to do with Trimspa no matter how they wanted to take credit for it. Im sure whatever it was he went through when he needed those was very hard for him and thats why no one mentioned it, because it was because of Matthews doing, since he is a person too, and not Chandlers doing.. so why mention it?

i completely agree

HarmlessAngel

[44]Jul 18, 2008
    free_the_WM3 wrote:
    it really bothered me how with phoebe's wedding, there wasnt much said about it until the actual wedding day. With monica's wedding, they went looking for the dress, they talked about the band, maid of honour ect. it would have been nice to see more of pheobe's wedding.

true, there should have been a bigger build up

jraja02

[45]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    shriprema wrote:
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    the inconsistencies of the show...especially when they showed that chandler didnt recognize rachel when he met her and then later they revealed that they have met a couple of times back in the 80s

Well, Chandler hung out with Ross in university and only saw Rachel when he went over for Thanksgiving(s).

But in the pilot, Monica introduced Rachel to Chandler as if they had never met. That realy bugged me.

jraja02

[46]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    HarmlessAngel wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

jraja02 wrote:
    Chandler gaining weight in like mid season 7ish and his tan! It really annoyed me, 'cause I thought of Chandler being a hottie, but that tan and weight thingy bothered me...Plus no one ever mentioned it...

So Matthew Perry isnt allowed to gain weight or get a tan like everyone else? Interesting.

Matthew was addicted to painkillers at the time of when he was skinny (s7) and then kicked it when he gained more weight (s. Did you ever see how Anna Nicole Smith was fluctuating her weight all the time? She was addicted to more drugs Im sure than you can shake a stick at, had nothing to do with Trimspa no matter how they wanted to take credit for it. Im sure whatever it was he went through when he needed those was very hard for him and thats why no one mentioned it, because it was because of Matthews doing, since he is a person too, and not Chandlers doing.. so why mention it?

i completely agree

I didn't mean it like that. It's just they never mentioned anything one the show. They acted like nothing happened. They could've made a storyline about the tan like they did with Ross.

MisterMatthews

[47]Jul 19, 2008
    It bothered me that they gave Phoebe so many silly storylines, often about weird guys she was dating briefly, when at the same time they never resolved her storyline about her father. When she had finally met him, they just never referred to him again. Same story with her birth mother: never seen or mentioned again.

stellarchick86

[48]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 32
    MisterMatthews wrote:
    It bothered me that they gave Phoebe so many silly storylines, often about weird guys she was dating briefly, when at the same time they never resolved her storyline about her father. When she had finally met him, they just never referred to him again. Same story with her birth mother: never seen or mentioned again.

Very good point. I love Phoebes 'silly' storylines, but I also wished they followed up more later on. Not only should they have, but it was also a continuity issue too, because Phoebe and Phoebe Sr got pretty close there for a while. She gave advice on the triplets, gave her a pug for a while, etc, she shouldve even been invited to the wedding! Her dad, on the other hand, I can understand because it was a very weird experience and I dont think she wants to go through that again. But she could at least still mention him!

free_the_WM3

[49]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 12

a few other things that annoy me a bit when i watch them is when rachel is giving birth, the doctor says that emma is breach. however the doctor would have known this before rachel went into the labour room, she would have realised the baby was breach when she gave exams beforehand

also in tow emma cries when rachel swings emma "rapidly from side to side" when everyone knows your not supposed to do that with a baby.

vicky24c

[50]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 24
    Something thats always bother me is this. In the episode where baby Ben bumps his head on the wooden frame, it was there for that episode and not after. Was it there in previous episodes? Was it removed for a reason? (such as the actors hitting their heads on it!)

Also what the hell happened to the chick and the duck? There exit was never explained!

HarmlessAngel

[51]Jul 21, 2008
    jraja02 wrote:
    HarmlessAngel wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

jraja02 wrote:

i completely agree

I didn't mean it like that. It's just they never mentioned anything one the show. They acted like nothing happened. They could've made a storyline about the tan like they did with Ross.

ooh okay, but i dont think they could have because im not sure but i think at the time, matthew was going through personal issues and it would have been hard to portray that in a comic way

AlyssaR0528

[52]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 7

What bothers me about Friends is also one of the things I love most about the show: the lifestyle of the Friends is not the lifestyle of young professionals living in NYC. To me, it seems more akin to six college students living together in dorms in a college town. I am speaking strictly about their lifestyle here -- the problems they face are clearly those of adults, plus they all have careers. However, having lots of free time, always being at one another's apartments, bumping into each other around the city, and not really having to coordinate schedules yet still seeing lots of each other are, to me, hallmarks of the college lifestyle, not the lifestyle of young professionals living in NYC of all cities.

This is one of the things I love most about the show because it reminds me of the college lifestyle my friends and I had But it also bothers me because I know that is not a lifestyle young professionals in NYC are able to have. It's the NYC fairytale, but it's portrayed as being representative of real life.

stellarchick86

[53]Jul 21, 2008
    AlyssaR0528 wrote:

What bothers me about Friends is also one of the things I love most about the show: the lifestyle of the Friends is not the lifestyle of young professionals living in NYC. To me, it seems more akin to six college students living together in dorms in a college town. I am speaking strictly about their lifestyle here -- the problems they face are clearly those of adults, plus they all have careers. However, having lots of free time, always being at one another's apartments, bumping into each other around the city, and not really having to coordinate schedules yet still seeing lots of each other are, to me, hallmarks of the college lifestyle, not the lifestyle of young professionals living in NYC of all cities.

This is one of the things I love most about the show because it reminds me of the college lifestyle my friends and I had But it also bothers me because I know that is not a lifestyle young professionals in NYC are able to have. It's the NYC fairytale, but it's portrayed as being representative of real life.

I wouldve actually said the opposite and heres why. I myself am in college and face these issues, which is why I am bringing this up. With myself and my friends who are in college, they go to school during the day and still need to make some pocket money (food, gas, cell phones nothing too elaborate) so they have to go to work at night, and sometimes at night on the weekends depending on what job they have. Like my friend works as a cashier at Walgreens, so she has to work sometimes till closing time (11 or 12) on Fridays and Saturdays because Walgreens is open like 24/7. So this really cuts back on the time we can spend with eachother because everyone has a different schedule. for the most part when you get older, out of college and into your career youre more likely to work like a 9-5 job. Since everyone has the same schedules, they are more likely to see eachother. This is also why they can all take some time off to all go on vacations together, because when youre working at a job like that, they are more lenient towards letting you have vacation time (its usually like you get 2 weeks a year, we dont care when, but thats all you get) where as when you are working in a PT college-type job, they say no because then they gotta worry about someone filling in for you, so you gotta give them so much notice.

Now, this mayve totally not been your lifestyle and you didnt experience anything like this, but for me, my friends, their friends, and the chain goes on and on, it was definetly like this. Which is why I can understand why they all have so much free time (after work) to hang with eachother, especially on weekends because they wouldnt be working. I hope that makes sense.

Edited on 07/21/2008 9:29pm

AlyssaR0528

[55]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    AlyssaR0528 wrote:

I wouldve actually said the opposite and heres why. I myself am in college and face these issues, which is why I am bringing this up. With myself and my friends who are in college, they go to school during the day and still need to make some pocket money (food, gas, cell phones nothing too elaborate) so they have to go to work at night, and sometimes at night on the weekends depending on what job they have. Like my friend works as a cashier at Walgreens, so she has to work sometimes till closing time (11 or 12) on Fridays and Saturdays because Walgreens is open like 24/7. So this really cuts back on the time we can spend with eachother because everyone has a different schedule. for the most part when you get older, out of college and into your career youre more likely to work like a 9-5 job. Since everyone has the same schedules, they are more likely to see eachother. This is also why they can all take some time off to all go on vacations together, because when youre working at a job like that, they are more lenient towards letting you have vacation time (its usually like you get 2 weeks a year, we dont care when, but thats all you get) where as when you are working in a PT college-type job, they say no because then they gotta worry about someone filling in for you, so you gotta give them so much notice.

Now, this mayve totally not been your lifestyle and you didnt experience anything like this, but for me, my friends, their friends, and the chain goes on and on, it was definetly like this. Which is why I can understand why they all have so much free time (after work) to hang with eachother, especially on weekends because they wouldnt be working. I hope that makes sense.

I definitely see what you are saying -- everyone has different college and work experiences. I do feel very fortunate that my college experience was what it was because I absolutely loved it!

Finances were definitely an issue for some of us, but even with different academic schedules and part-time work, we saw lots of each other because we all lived in the same building, and all ate in the same dining halls, etc. Much like the Friends all hanging out at Monica's apt and all getting coffee and snacks at Central Perk! We were frequently bumping into each other because we would still be doing lots of the same things at the same times. And since we lived in the same building, we would stop by each other's suites on our way in and out when we had a few extra minutes.

I think it helped that the college I attended was very community-oriented, so the whole campus was really set up to foster that type of environment for undergrads. We had the "residential college system" (which I don't know why more colleges don't adopt!) with suites and entryways, dining halls attached to each dorm, community activities, etc.

Different colleges and different schedules and outside commitments do make for different college experiences. My college experience happened to be one where I lived near my friends and saw lots of them.

However, I don't think working in NYC as a young professional would ever be the way it is portrayed on Friends (sadly!). The cost of living and the crazy work hours, combined with the time it takes to travel around the city do not add up to the Friends life.

To afford to live in NYC, you have to work hours that are much longer than 9-5... I think 8am-7pm would probably be considered a pretty good schedule. I know lots of young professionals in NYC who regularly work until 11pm - 1am. Others are sent to other cities for lengthy business trips.

This is why I say Friends seems like the NYC fairytale -- living there, without having to work the crazy hours. All the free time on Friends definitely seems unrealistic to me... especially for Chandler and Rachel who supposedly work corporate jobs.

Additionally, since NYC is such a large city, there is much less bumping into your friends than on a medium-sized college campus. And unless you live in the same building, or across the street in NYC, there is going to be a substantial commute to factor in. Friends projects the image that everything in NYC is about 15 minutes away. (The fact that the Friends change jobs multiple times but never have to move to be closer to work for 10 years is also unrealistic.) But in reality, commute coupled with lengthy work days means less stopping by at friends' places "just because."

To me, Friends is more similar to my college lifestyle than to the life of a young professional in NYC. And I think, in any event, Friends is not similar to the lifestyle of a young, working professional living in NYC. Perhaps some other, smaller city, but not NYC.

Either way, as I said, although I find this aspect of Friends does not jive with reality, it is nevertheless one of the things I love most about the show! What young, single person wouldn't want to live with all their friends??

stellarchick86

[56]Jul 22, 2008
    AlyssaR0528 wrote:
    I definitely see what you are saying -- everyone has different college and work experiences. I do feel very fortunate that my college experience was what it was because I absolutely loved it!

Finances were definitely an issue for some of us, but even with different academic schedules and part-time work, we saw lots of each other because we all lived in the same building, and all ate in the same dining halls, etc. Much like the Friends all hanging out at Monica's apt and all getting coffee and snacks at Central Perk! We were frequently bumping into each other because we would still be doing lots of the same things at the same times. And since we lived in the same building, we would stop by each other's suites on our way in and out when we had a few extra minutes.

I think it helped that the college I attended was very community-oriented, so the whole campus was really set up to foster that type of environment for undergrads. We had the "residential college system" (which I don't know why more colleges don't adopt!) with suites and entryways, dining halls attached to each dorm, community activities, etc.

Different colleges and different schedules and outside commitments do make for different college experiences. My college experience happened to be one where I lived near my friends and saw lots of them.

However, I don't think working in NYC as a young professional would ever be the way it is portrayed on Friends (sadly!). The cost of living and the crazy work hours, combined with the time it takes to travel around the city do not add up to the Friends life.

To afford to live in NYC, you have to work hours that are much longer than 9-5... I think 8am-7pm would probably be considered a pretty good schedule. I know lots of young professionals in NYC who regularly work until 11pm - 1am. Others are sent to other cities for lengthy business trips.

This is why I say Friends seems like the NYC fairytale -- living there, without having to work the crazy hours. All the free time on Friends definitely seems unrealistic to me... especially for Chandler and Rachel who supposedly work corporate jobs.

Additionally, since NYC is such a large city, there is much less bumping into your friends than on a medium-sized college campus. And unless you live in the same building, or across the street in NYC, there is going to be a substantial commute to factor in. Friends projects the image that everything in NYC is about 15 minutes away. (The fact that the Friends change jobs multiple times but never have to move to be closer to work for 10 years is also unrealistic.) But in reality, commute coupled with lengthy work days means less stopping by at friends' places "just because."

To me, Friends is more similar to my college lifestyle than to the life of a young professional in NYC. And I think, in any event, Friends is not similar to the lifestyle of a young, working professional living in NYC. Perhaps some other, smaller city, but not NYC.

Either way, as I said, although I find this aspect of Friends does not jive with reality, it is nevertheless one of the things I love most about the show! What young, single person wouldn't want to live with all their friends??

Oh okay, then yeah you definetly lived the college thing more than I did. Sadly, even with a PT job I couldnt really afford to move out, so I live with my parents until I get my degree and then will move out because I will be getting a better job. Because of my average grades in HS (I had bad senioritis), I went to a CC first, so once I went to a Uni I didnt go to a dorm and do all that stuff because my parents couldnt afford it on top of the cost of college (and Im not really a dorm person anyway, I like having my space in my room and having my own bathroom lol). So basically, I just did college different than you. Sometimes I wish I couldve done it that way, but like I said Im not really a dorm person. My own apartment close to campus wouldve been nice, but like I said, I wouldnt have been able to unless I seriously ate rahmen for 4 years, lol.

As far as Friends go, I agree. They really couldnt have afforded to move there with how expensive it is. I always hear of stories about a bunch of (girl)friends moving to NYC, and having to split a 1-BR studio aparment and still working outrageous hours to make rent. So I remember someone saying that in real-life, barely any of them wouldve been able to afford to live with how much money they make (I remember them pointing out Monica in particular, although I wouldve said Joey) because they wouldnt be able to afford it, and most people agreed. So now I see where you are coming from and agree as well (as well as those people in the other thread).

Edited on 07/21/2008 11:35pm

hawksie

[57]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 9
    luvpuff wrote:
    i think the writers went a bit over the top with phoebe, how her mum killed herself, her stepdad went to prison, living on the streets and her brother thing

LOL I loved that though! "And then a pimp spat in my mouth and I got Hepititus C!" Something like that anyways

One episode I CANNOT rewatch is 'TOW Joey Speaks French'. I find it unbelievably stupid and unrealistic that Joey doesn't realize he isn't speaking french. I know he's supposed to be an idiot but that was seriously crossing the line of stupidity and serious mental retardation. The only redeeming quality of that episode is Phoebe's "You're... Your-.. Just.. You're... YOU'RE NOT SPEAKING FRENCH!!!!!!!!"

stellarchick86

[58]Jul 23, 2008
    hawksie wrote:
    luvpuff wrote:
    i think the writers went a bit over the top with phoebe, how her mum killed herself, her stepdad went to prison, living on the streets and her brother thing

LOL I loved that though! "And then a pimp spat in my mouth and I got Hepititus C!" Something like that anyways

One episode I CANNOT rewatch is 'TOW Joey Speaks French'. I find it unbelievably stupid and unrealistic that Joey doesn't realize he isn't speaking french. I know he's supposed to be an idiot but that was seriously crossing the line of stupidity and serious mental retardation. The only redeeming quality of that episode is Phoebe's "You're... Your-.. Just.. You're... YOU'RE NOT SPEAKING FRENCH!!!!!!!!"

Thats why I cant stand it either. It wouldve been funnier if he tried but just couldnt but to say like "bluh bluh bluh" 50 times is downright stupid.

hawksie

[59]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 9
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    hawksie wrote:
    luvpuff wrote:

Thats why I cant stand it either. It wouldve been funnier if he tried but just couldnt but to say like "bluh bluh bluh" 50 times is downright stupid.

Thank you! I thought I might have been the only one bothered by that episode.

MisterMatthews

[60]Jul 24, 2008

hawksie wrote:
    Thank you! I thought I might have been the only one bothered by that episode.

I never watch it because it is the worst episode ever -and not just for 'Friends'! Just, in general, it's the worst episode of all sitcoms ever!