Friends Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Why do People think that Friends is still so popular even though it's finished?

People_Please

[1]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 1
    Im doing a uni project and would be grateful if people could tell me why they think its still so popular/watchable even though it finished five years ago. Cheers
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taylor1308

[2]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 9

I think it's just a show that's just so likeable and loved that people want to hang on to it for as long as possible. It's the same with other shows that have sadly ended . You watch them over and over again because it's your way of holding on to them.

They may also be so popular still because they don't get boring. Even though you know what's going to happen, you never get tired of the content and the jokes. They're still just as funny as always.

stellarchick86

[3]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    Why does a show automatically become unpopular just because its finished? Friends and Seinfeld were two HUGE shows and pretty much classics and yet people still talk about them, even though its finished, because they were GOOD and ENTERTAINING. Even The Golden Girls which has been off the air for more than a decade still gets more momentum on the forums than youd think. So I dont quite get what the point to that type of thinking is.

ChosenOne310

[4]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    Because its one of the best comedy shows ever and no matter how many times you watch an episode the jokes never get old there still as funny as they were the first time.

Emina_I

[5]Apr 16, 2009

It's finished, but us who liked it think of that as something that had to happen, I didn't watch it just to see what happens at the end, I watched it because thay have that something that make you love them, and that is different for everyone... I love the closeness the humor and great acting that fulfills your day... The fact it is over doesn't mean anything to me, even better I can sit and enjoy every single episode over and over again. It's just the type of a show that is easy to watch and when you combine that with a great acting and scenario you have a winning combination.

iliastse

[6]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 39

To cut a long story short : because it's not just "popular", it's probably the best comedy series EVER.

I'll tell you my personal experience. Friends started in 1994, almost when my last year at school started too. So in a way I grew up with them. And it wans't just growing up. They were growing old and I was growing old, the series itself got mature as I did as well. It was like having a second life with them. I remember myself stopping everything when I had to watch Friends (and trust me, it wasn't just me).

Wanna talk life language ? Every character represents a part of the community and a huge part of the population was "mirrored" in those 6 persons. I can write for hours, but Ileave it to the next generations.

Last but not least. I'll stop watching them WHEN and IF there's gonna be a better comedy series than that. Till then, I'll never give up watching it again and again and again, especially in my "dark" days.

loveindubitably

[7]Apr 23, 2009
    Its humor is pretty timeless--there are cultural jokes every now and then that are year/era specific but otherwise, the situations and the relationships portrayed are universally relatable. Also, one of the most unique aspects of the show is how all six members contribute equally to the show's strength--if you go through threads here, you'll see that people's favorite Friend changes all the time because they are all fantastic.