Friends

The Last One (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 06, 2004 on NBC

• Great finally - if you are a Ross and Rachel fan. If you're not, then not so great. This was not a finally for a show about friends, this was a finally for a show about a couple.

Ross and Rachel got easily 50% of the screen time, if not more. And yet they managed to do nothing even remotely funny or original with their storyline. We have seen this type of scenario time and time (and time) again. Had Rachel really gone to Paris I might have liked it, for that would have been at least original. But she didn't. And the annoying thing is, you know that they probably broke up again after a few weeks or so. They just don't match. Rachel is too controlling and has to be right all the time, and she brings out the worst in Ross. Ross on the other hand completely gives up his personality to be her puppy dog. They can't make each other happy.

I remember back in season two it was decided that Rachel is Ross' lobster. I also remember that he is allergic to shellfish.

What was with the laugh track? I understand that they sometimes have to use one, it doesn't really bother me much, but in this episode they really took it a bit too far. Whatever a person did got a round of laughs (unless it aws supposed to be sad). Ross looks out from under a quilt - laughs. He looks at Rachel - laughs. He says something non-comedic (like "hi") - laughs. It just got ridiculous! There were even laughs when Joey, Rachel, Phoebe and Ross took out their spare keys to leave behind in the apartment. We know Monica gave them spare keys, where exactly is the joke here?

I felt really bad for Matt LeBlanc and Lisa Kudrow. They got to be supporting cast in their own series finally. No storylines of their own, no real conclusion for either one of them. Monica and Chandler did have their screen time with the baby storyline but that one was rather toned down in favor of Ross and Rachel.

I am seriously disappointed that they put the major focus of this final episode onto Ross and Rachel. I know they have a fanbase, but what about the rest of the fans of the show? Shouldn't this episode have been for us too? Apparently not.

I was pretty glad though to get to see Joey and Chandler together in the last episode, the way we used to get to see them. The goodbye between them was much more moving than any of the scenes with Ross and Rachel.

By the way I still think it's quite disturbing that Ross doesn't care at all that Emma is leaving, only Rachel.

Pretty lame that they reused a line from Ben's birth by the way. In that episode Phoebe said that Ben looks just like Susan, who isn't a biological parent, and in this episode Chandler says baby Jack has Monica's eyes. Great creativity, nice work. Not.

When did Erica get stupid? She wasn't an idiot in the first episodes she appeared in. But then again the writers seem to know only two ways of cracking jokes - sex and stupidity. And since you can't very well do sex jokes with a woman in labour they had to go with stupid instead.

If you ask me, the last episode should have ended with all six of them hanging out at Chandler and Monica's new house, showing that nothing's really changed.

As it is now, it's not even worth watching. Not if you're a fan of Friends. But it was a nice end to the Ross and Rachel Show.
  • Too mushy

I still cannot get over the fact that Rachel and Ross got together. By the end of the series the chemistry between Joey and Rachel was far more convincing than Ross. Their coming together looked contrived. Also everybody goes different ways. 10 years they lived together and I am guessing they could have just continued that way. By the end of the series, it became just too sentimental and one had to force a laugh. The only 2 characters that never changed were Rachel and Joey and it would have been just perfect if they would have got together.
  • One of the worst ways to end a show about friends.

6.3
    This coupled with the episode before made the series finale and I think the worst way to end the show. The whole Ross Rachel thing was not concluded because they did not get married, just decided to "be together" I mean even that lame joke Ross made shows how stupid it was. They could have a separation and be on a break and then what? It was bad enough that they were in love and had a child and did not get married, but now with her moving they still did not. It would still have been better it one of them proposed to the other.
  • Everybody saw it coming

6.4
    Who didnt know that ross and rachel were gonna end up together, even though everyone knew they were gonna be together, i couldnt really see them doing anything else, because that's Friends, when i look at this series overall, i see so many stroylines that they took from Seinfeld. the man purse, episodes where setting is in the same place about one topic, the same fake names that pheobe and joey use. and even an unsuccessful spin off show with one of their characters. Season 5 and 6 were the best for friends, the later season were just a waste.
  • The season finale: in simple form? Rachel and Ross, back together after a hot pursuit from Ross's part, Monica and Chandler have twins care of Erica the woman carrying not their baby but babies.

This episode disappointed me, which was disappointing that it disappointed me (getting confusing, I know) because it's the finale. Not the season finale, the SERIES finale. So it should be the best. But then again the producers did say it would be like a regular episode. It was worse than a regular episode.

Okay, so Ross and Rachel get back together. I don't see why they are "destined" to be together. I never liked it when they were together but maybe that's just me. Erica who was carrying Monica and Chandler's baby turns out to be carrying babies. In the plural. The delivery of the babies is so quick it's not believable at all and the woman playing Erica didn't express the pain you usually associate with giving birth. Making it all the less believable. I'm not saying I want to hear yelps of pain or anything but it's just not believable. But it is, TV, so anything's possible.

This episode was a Rachel-Ross-get-back-together-again thing with the subplot of Monica and Chandler's elation of their new babies. Phoebe and Joey are just along for the ride it seems. The ending was good enough because it let you know right away it was at a close. But it also left you hanging at the same time. Did Rachel and Ross get married again? And how are Monica and Chandler doing with the parenting? But I guess like any high rated shows it has to come to an end. I only wish they had redone the script so make it a better end.
  • Good... but slightly predictable.

7.8
    I LOVED this episode when it aired. I mean, yay! Ross and Rachel get together! Everyone is happy!!! But, then, as I have reflected on it, it isn't so great.

Rachel doesn't go to Paris. It was an amazing job. I think it would have been better for her to go to Paris and not have all that Ross and Rachel stuff. I know that R&R were a foundation of the series and that it is nice to see them happy. But I also have issues with Rachel not taking that job. So predictable and cliche. My main issue with that is I am not so sure Ross and Rachel really are meant to be together. Its just something that I have thought a lot about through various series... okay, maybe that makes me pathetic. But, I honestly don't think that they are right together.

I loved the Monica/Chandler storyline with the babies. Although I am surprised that they were able to go home from the hospital so fast, and that they were able to get so much stuff for the twins, like a double stroller, so fast. Actually, anything. I mean, the babies were early so they would probably have to be in the premie unit, with little complications. And they didn't have time to go shopping for things like carseats which are required before you leave the hospital. I know it was for the show, but little things like that take me out of the flow of the story than if they slightly mention it. I will admit though it makes for a great reveal with Joey not noticing.

I felt like Joey and Phoebe were basically ignored for the story. Again, I realize that R&R are hallmark friends, but it was so just 'okay, yay, phoebe and mike are going to have babies... and joey is still joey' it wasn't much of anything to do with them, which is a real disappointment. I wish they had at least made mention of Joey going off to Hollywood for the spinoff.

So, it is still an enjoyable episode, but, it was predictable. But, it was a good ending to an amazing series.
  • Could it "be" any better?

For ten years Friends accompanied us. Am I sad that it is over? No. Will I miss it? Yes, of course.

Many successful TV series have the sad habit to stay longer on the air than absolutely necessary. It happened with the “Cosby Show”, and it is happening with “That 70’s show” now. You just have to know, when to walk away and let go.

I was worried that Friends might end up like Seinfeld, who produced one of the worst series final in television history, or would break the 3rd wall like they did on “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”. But instead the writers pulled of a really exciting and – yes, even if it’s sound lame – good episode, by given the fans what they really wanted.

Watching “The Last One” I honestly have to say that this episode was the perfect ending to a perfect sitcom. Sure it was not the funniest episode, but it did what it was supposed to do: give the audience a satisfactory conclusion.
  • Ended with a bang!

I have watched this show since the begining. It never fails to excite me. However, when I first heard that season 10 was going to be the last season, I was depressed. After watched the show for years, it grew on me, and they became my "friends" as you might say =D. It was an excellent way to create a possible and ethical ending to a great season. Even after the show ended I bought all ten seasons and watch them frequently. I am glad that such a wonderful group of actors brought so much joy to the entertainment industry.
  • This last episode was so hard to watch!

Wow - I can't believe that Friends has finally come to an end. I just began to watch this show a little while ago and finished all ten seasons in less than two and a half months. Suffice it to say I am in love with the characters and the humor on this show. It made me laugh and cry with all of the hilarious moments mixed in with such amazing things as Ross and Rachel's first kiss and the marriage proposal between Chandler and Monica. I know it's dorky but it honestly feels like losing a friend when the show is over - although you have the memories there will never be anything new to see or experience. I definitely think that the people who wrote and developed this show were true geniuses - how amazing to have a sitcom run for 10 years with the kind of following that Friends did! I just have to say, even though it is over - I'll still be watching.
  • this episode was the series fanale of friends.

although i enjoyed the beginnig, i think the ending of this episode was weak. the last shot of the series is the door. for me, i don't think that was the best way to end. if they stayed on the keys, that would be bettr, but what memerories does the door have othr that some1 coming in w/ big news???
  • Rachel tries to get on the plane to Paris, but she can't find her boarding pass. Ross is trying to get to the airport so he can tell Rachel how he feels. Joey loses chick and duck in foosball table. Erica delivers twins for Monica and Chandler.

Though not one of my favorite episodes, it was a great episode and one that any Friends fan would greatly enjoy. There were funny moments, but I think the ending was bittersweet. It was a little sad to watch the gang and think 'They're not going to be doing this anymore'.

The only reason I did not give it a 10 was because I didn't like the way it ended. I thought there was more story to tell. I would have liked to have seen it go on for one more season and the series finale should have been Ross and Rachel's wedding. Then they could have done flashback shows to show how their relationship (or non-relationship) evolved.
  • i love this episode!

this is an amazing episode. with an awsome storyline and a great way to end the best sitcom ever.Friends waz the funniest show on earth. and to see that ross and rachel end up together, to find out that chandler and monica live happlily ever after and its awsome that joey gets his own show. i really love this episode and it was worth the wait. it sucks that it had to end. and this was the right episode to end it with. and the ending of this episode was so cool when the whole gang went for one last cup of coffee. a great episode.
  • Great episode! awesome way to end the series!

this was actually a nice ending to the show, it was very conclusive and i liked it a lot. some parts i thought were funny:
    ~how nobody but the doctor knew Erica was having twins
    ~how joey asks for a muffin when Ross and Phoebe leave to go see Rachel before she boards the plane
    ~when Rachel boards the plane and says her seat number is the same as her bra size
    ~when the twins are born and then Mike and Phoebe start talking about babies
    ~and when the Foosball table had to be broken apart to save chick jr. and duck jr. i also really liked the end, when they all give up their keys and all that stuff, it was very sweet.
  • How could anyone forget this episode...

Monica and Chandler come home from the hospital with twins. Rachael gets to see the twins but then has to go to catch her plane flight. Ross relizes that he has feelings for Rachael. So Pheobe and Ross go to the airport to stop Rachael. But instead they arrive at the wrong airport. Pheobe then calls Rachael on her cell phone and makes up some dumb excuse to get off the plane. The person sitting next to her hears and warns everyone to get off the plane. The flight was delayed and Ross gets there in time to tell rachael how he reall feels about her. She is speechless and gets on the plane. When Ross gets home he has a message from Rachael saying if she made the right choice. You hear her trying to get off the plane and the message is over. Ross then screams,\"No... Did she get off the plane?\" Rachael who is behind him says, \"She got off the plane...\"

So at the end of the episode Ross and Rachael are back together, Monica and Chandler have twins and are moving to a new home, Pheobe has a husband, and Joey still has his same apartment. In the last few minutes you see them remincing about their times together. At the very end tehy walk off the go to the coffe shop one last time, all together.
  • Did she get off the plane?

And so it is the end of friends!!!

I was really sad to see this great show end! The series had been amazing and to end what in my opinion was the funniest show on TV was so sad!!

But the finale is brilliant, with the whole Rachel Ross thing (ahhh) and Monica and Chandler leaving the appartment behind to start their new life with the twins!

I think I was disappointed with the final scene tho... but having said that I'm not sure how else I would have ended it (maybe I was just disappointed as I knew it was the end) but I do think that the final scenes could have been stronger!
  • And the curtains close...

After 10 years of love, friendship, and laughter, this series finale definitely ends the show in a remarkable, emotional, and comedic way.

Ross and Rachel sleep together the night before Rachel has to go Paris, but Rachel considers it as the best way to say goodbye, leaving Ross crushed. Joey tries to comfort Ross, surprisingly well and maturely, but Ross refuses to listen and goes after Rachel in the airport.

Monica and Chandler\'s baby is being born 3 weeks prior the due date. Little did they know that they were about to have twins, a boy, Jack, and a girl, Erica.

Joey gets The Bings a chick and a duck for a housewarming present, but they get stuck in the foosball table. They are forced to say goodbye to the foosball table, which Monica tears down.

Rachel at first refuses to stay after a long and thrilling chase from Ross and Phoebe. When Ross gets back home, he finds out that Rachel was trying to get off the plane, creating a nice scene with Ross and the answering machine. One of the most emotional scenes in the show then happens when Rachel says \"I got off the plane.\"

The show ends with the apartment being emptied, and everyong giving up their keys. They then walk out for one final cup of coffee together.

All together this episode is definitely one of the most memorable episodes. The major plotlines are given a beautiful resolution, finishing off with a joke from Chandler.

It\'s pretty cool how Monica says the first line of the show and Chandler gets the last.
  • Totally predictable, but that\'s okay.

The end of the show was totally predictable, but that\\\'s okay. I know that I wanted Ross and Rachel to end up together and no matter how predictable it was, I\\\'m glad it happened. The thing that was best about it though wa the fact that even though it was so predictable, you still didn\'t know how it was going to happen. This episode wasn\\\'t a tearjerker like the previous weeks episode, when Rachel says goodbye to everyone. I was able to hold off the tears until Rachel was at the door, when I burst out laughing and into tears at the same time. I\\\'m glad everyone ended up happy. After 10 years, it\\\'s what everyone deserves. Like I said,it was totally predictable, but that\'s okay with me.
  • Fantastic episode, really great!

With this episode the magic journey of FRIENDS has come to an end. I think that this is how I imagined the show would end after all, with the big reunion between Ross and Rachel - which I think could have been plotted better, during the whole season- and a happy ending for every character. I didn't like the choice of a spinoff about Joey, that caused him not having any "closure" within this episode, I would have been more willing to see another spinoff about Chandler and Monica dealing with their new life as parents (it could have been "The Bings"); this way Joey could hav had his own happy ending, making this episode even better. Besides Ross&Rachel's reunion I liked the table breaking and the final scene the most, since there are about the "Goodbye" the show has given us. Not to mention the final sequence with the actors leaving and that beautiful song playing while the camera shows us the empty apartment, a real tearjacker. Maybe this really was the perfect way to say goodbye...
  • make sure you have a box of tissues!

After 10 years Friends is ending,which isn't nessecarily a bad thing.Things have been bad for Friends this season.First of all,not a good way to end the show.You know how while they show the credits they show one last little clip?It ended when they went to go have one last cup of coffe.They could have at least showed what they talked about and show them having the cup of coffe.I cried and I always will cry.It was a happy ending,Monica and Chandler got the babies they always wanted,ross and raechel ended up together AGAIN,Joey moved to California with his cousin and pheobe went to live with Mike.second best episode and an Ok way to end a great series.
  • This is where it all ends...Ultimate sadness to see it go.

I watch this episode on rainy days, when I'm bored, or sometimes when I just need some comfort. It was nice to see it all wrap up happily. For years I had rooted for Ross and Rachel and the writers did the right thing for the biggest angsty, "Will they, won't they" couple in the history of primetime. I was also happy that Monica and Chandler got two bundles of joy. Joey and Phoebe were Joey and Phoebe. After years of watching, it was sad to see it all end. While ends were tied up, it would have been nice to see a years later shot with all their kids playing together or at least a mention of a Ross and Rachel wedding or marriage. All in all though, nice ending.
  • The end of Friends!

This is the final episode after 10 years of Friends! and they ended it in the perfect way!! I was very happy about it! Monica and Chandler finally got the kids they finally wanted. Except it was twins! Ross and Pheobe chase Rachel to the airport, but Rachel gets on the plane anyway! It was a little obvious she would get off the plane, but I was still glad that she did. For Chandler and Monica's going away present Joey buys a chick and a duck, and names them Chick Jr. and Duck Jr. Sadly Chandler and Monica have to move to a new house and leave everyone else behind. A great episode, I could not have asked for a better ending!
  • I'd give it a 10 if it wasn't so sad...

Aww..This was a brilliant episode.Not so much funny.But it was really good.The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it almost made me cry... and I don't like to cry!
    In this episode we see Ross chases Rachel to the airport-with the help of Phobee and her crazy cab driving.In the end he makes it to the wrong airport.Ross then go's home.He's the sadest person in the world.Then he gets a voice message from Rachel saying she wants to come home to him.But he doesn't know if she's off the plane.Suddenly the door opens and theres Rachael.They get back together.Meanwhile Monica and Chandler are leaving for their new home.And Joey must break open the fuseball table to save Chick Jr.
    It was a great and sad episode.

I just really wish they would bring it back!
  • make it to the right airport, where Ross declares his love for Rachel, but she gets on the plane anyway. A dejected Ross returns home, where he finds a message on his answering machine, revealing that Rachel got off the plane, just as the real thing shows

I cried so much at the end of this episode and have it on tape and i watched it so much i swear the tape is crying out to be left for a day!
    Anyway this episode brought all six friends together over all 10 years we never saw what great moments and they were all shown in this episode.All the emotions we could ever fell were in this episode i never realised i could be jealous of Rachels skirt hee he anyway this show is greatly missed and will alway be one of the greatest finals ever made throughout the world!!
  • a great way to say goodbye

i would've rethought maybe a tad of the writing but it was excellent, and well executed. it was sad to see them go. i think the decision to have the second to final shot be of them walking out of the buliding was great, and have the final shot be on the door frame.
  • my way

Loved it
  • Super cool

Funny cool
  • A great show found its perfect ending.

It seems like only yesterday when we watched Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Joey and Ross sitting and chatting in Central Perk when Rachel rushed through the door in her wedding dress. 10 years later, it's still those six people. Still in New York. Still there for each other every single day. Still best friends.

The Last One is the perfect finale for the show. Monica and Chandler finally having their babies. Phoebe finally being with the man she loves. Joey...well, he's still Joey. But he'll find his way in his spin-off. And Ross and Rachel finally together again, after all this time.

This episode made me cry. Not only because it's the last one. But also because it's more we could've ever hoped and asked for. After watching all 10 seasons of the show, I'm convinced this is the way it was supposed to end.
  • Amazing finale.

You knwow sometimes, when a TV finale comes on, and when it ends, your like "That was such a bad way to end the show" Well, this finale did not end bluntly. It tied all loose ends in my opinion, it was a perfect way to end this wonderful series. I shed a tear,w ehn everyone walked out of the apartment. And I cringed when Rachel ended up going on the plane saying sorry to Ross. When she got off the plane, I jumped for joy! And then she kissed Ross. There finally together after almost 7 years of being on a break. Joey gets Chick & Duck Jr. Monica & Chandler take care of the babies. The gang returns their keys, and cuts to finish. Perfect!
  • A delicious and definitely satisfying culmination to what just may be the best (and most loved) sit-com of all time *sob*

Friends, Friends, Friends... what can I say? 10 years after Rachel comes staggering into Central Perk wearing a sodden wedding monstrosity and invites herself into Monica's apartment and her kooky circle of friends, the producers have decided that the fitting conclusion would be Rachel's departure. The show has come full circle, a full decade, a full journey. It's still as funny, kooky, heart warming and original as it ever was, and the writers and actors maintain those qualities to the very end. No fan will be disappointed. The only negative thought I had was 'What? No reunion movie?' Definitely one to watch.
  • definitely didnt want it to end, but was glad it ended like this

i loved friends and was so sad to see it end, but i guess it had to eventually and this is absolutely the best way possible. there were no loose ends, every character was taken care of and in a good place where you know theyre happy. but the writers didnt give too much either, just enough was left to the imagination.

nothing in the episode was strange or different. this finale was done in true friends style, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. the only thing i would change would be the end, the last scene. i would have liked to see the show come full circle. i think the last thing we shouldve seen was the six friends sitting in the coffee house drinking coffee and talking about nothing, similar to the pilot. i didnt like that the last scene in the coffee house was one that wasnt acknowledged.

overall, perfect ending to a spectacular show
< 1 2 3 4