Friends

The Last One (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 06, 2004 on NBC

• "Just the perfect way to say goodbye"

It's "just the perfect way to say goodbye", says Rachel to Ross early on in this series finale, refering to their night together and her departure to Paris, and the same is true of "The Last One" as a show. No better way could've been found to end this show in a graceful, moving, non-gimmicky manner.

When the writers pulled the "Rachel is moving" trick, I actually went against my better instincts (which had told me from the pilot episode on that Ross and Rachel would finally end up together) and fear that the show might end on an ambiguous, bittersweet note.

I was proven wrong and the above-mentioned trick makes for a very exciting ending as Ross and Phoebe race to find Rachel before she leaves so that Ross can tell her how he feels about her. I admit freely that despite this being the third time I watched the episode, I have yet to see a clear picture of Ross and Rachel's reunion because every time my sight blurs from a few happy tears. Yes, I'm that emotionally invested.

The same is true of the other goodbyes (Joey - Chandler especially) and some of the heartwarming flourishes the writers put in the show: Gunther finally admitting his love for Rachel, Joey getting a new chick and duck, the dismantling of the foosball table, the birth of Monica and Chandler's twins, Phoebe in full "weird" mode singing musical numbers etc...

It's funny, It's happy and sad at the same time... the perfect way to say goodbye really.
  • this episode was the series fanale of friends.

although i enjoyed the beginnig, i think the ending of this episode was weak. the last shot of the series is the door. for me, i don't think that was the best way to end. if they stayed on the keys, that would be bettr, but what memerories does the door have othr that some1 coming in w/ big news???
  • As Rachel once said, "It's the end of an era!"

After ten years, 236 episodes, we have finally reached "FRIENDS"'s season finale. The twenty-something New Yorkians have grown and became wiser. They have had relationships intertwine so much even one with Ross and Monica was once introduced (creepy).

And now, everyone we've come to know and love has to leave. Chandler and Monica finally have their babies and are ready to move away. Phoebe is married. Ross and Rachel finally get back together, hopefully for the last time. And Joey, well he's still Joey. But at least he has L.A..

This was a really great episode. It is possibly one of the ten best episodes and a wonderful conclusion to the decade-long show. And again quoting Rachel, "It's the perfect way to say goodbye."
  • The Last One (2)

Perfect ending for a wonderful show. Ross (with Phoebe) rushes to the airport to tell Rachel how he feels, but ends up at the wrong airport, he makes it just in time to tell Rachel how he feels, but she gets on the plane anyway.
    They end up together. They all leave their key on the counter, and go out for one last coffee together. I am glad they ended it the way they did, it was really good.
  • One of the worst ways to end a show about friends.

6.3
    This coupled with the episode before made the series finale and I think the worst way to end the show. The whole Ross Rachel thing was not concluded because they did not get married, just decided to "be together" I mean even that lame joke Ross made shows how stupid it was. They could have a separation and be on a break and then what? It was bad enough that they were in love and had a child and did not get married, but now with her moving they still did not. It would still have been better it one of them proposed to the other.
  • THE BEST EVER!

I love this episode. Is definitely one of the best episodes ever! Phoebe and Ross together are hilarious especially when they are in phoebe's cab, and Chandler and Joey also.
    I cried and laughed so much during this episode.
    Long live F.R.I.E.N.D.S!!! The best sitcom in the world! Top Class Programme
  • Rachel tries to get on the plane to Paris, but she can't find her boarding pass. Ross is trying to get to the airport so he can tell Rachel how he feels. Joey loses chick and duck in foosball table. Erica delivers twins for Monica and Chandler.

Though not one of my favorite episodes, it was a great episode and one that any Friends fan would greatly enjoy. There were funny moments, but I think the ending was bittersweet. It was a little sad to watch the gang and think 'They're not going to be doing this anymore'.

The only reason I did not give it a 10 was because I didn't like the way it ended. I thought there was more story to tell. I would have liked to have seen it go on for one more season and the series finale should have been Ross and Rachel's wedding. Then they could have done flashback shows to show how their relationship (or non-relationship) evolved.
  • The season finale: in simple form? Rachel and Ross, back together after a hot pursuit from Ross's part, Monica and Chandler have twins care of Erica the woman carrying not their baby but babies.

This episode disappointed me, which was disappointing that it disappointed me (getting confusing, I know) because it's the finale. Not the season finale, the SERIES finale. So it should be the best. But then again the producers did say it would be like a regular episode. It was worse than a regular episode.

Okay, so Ross and Rachel get back together. I don't see why they are "destined" to be together. I never liked it when they were together but maybe that's just me. Erica who was carrying Monica and Chandler's baby turns out to be carrying babies. In the plural. The delivery of the babies is so quick it's not believable at all and the woman playing Erica didn't express the pain you usually associate with giving birth. Making it all the less believable. I'm not saying I want to hear yelps of pain or anything but it's just not believable. But it is, TV, so anything's possible.

This episode was a Rachel-Ross-get-back-together-again thing with the subplot of Monica and Chandler's elation of their new babies. Phoebe and Joey are just along for the ride it seems. The ending was good enough because it let you know right away it was at a close. But it also left you hanging at the same time. Did Rachel and Ross get married again? And how are Monica and Chandler doing with the parenting? But I guess like any high rated shows it has to come to an end. I only wish they had redone the script so make it a better end.
  • This episode is about Rahael and Ross finaly getting back together, Joey losses his chick and duck in the foosball table and Chandler and Monica get ready to leave.

What can i say. This could be the best episode i have ever seen. It has everything, comic relief and sadly, saddness. I love the part when Phoebe says the Philange on the airplane because it keys in with her nickname. It was good how everything just connected and the ending was just perfect.
  • i believe they rounded it off well, with a great and joyful finish. it was smart and well thought out with the ending of rachel and ross's story. highly entertaining. 9.6 out of ten.

finaly rachel n ross getting back together, ending with tear dropping laughters. all i can say is YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is it over. they were going to procced with making a movie but are having doubts. no who wud'nt like to see a whole one and half hour special movie of the friends, laughters all da way
  • Goodbye FRIENDS! Rachel: You guys wanna get some coffee? Chandler: Where?

In the final episode of a long-running comedy series, everything changes and there's no turning back.

Monica and Chandler get their twins (I hope we can check sometimes in the future - maybe on JOEY - how are they handling their twins), Rachel and Ross (after a long and funny chase with Phoebe) end up together (as expected - it would be just terrible if it would end in another way), Phoebe is still crazy (by singing the opera songs) but ready to continue her marriage with Mike, and Joey stays just the same way he always was (he buys a chick and duck-junior and they end up in the foosball table).

GOOD THINGS:
    - I'm glad that Rachael and Ross ended up together.
    - A very good last line and a very good episode as well

BAD THINGS:
    - Although they had to do it, I hate the fact that after so many years of using it, Chandler and Joey had to destroy their loved foosball table.
    - Gunther's silly confession to Rachel.

However, I'm glad that everything turned out the way it did and I kinda hate the fact that the show is over, but that had to end up sometimes. It would probably become boring later.

I'm currently watching Friends's spin-off Joey, and although it's not the same as Friends, the show is good. I hope that some of the regulars from Friends will guest star eventually on the show.

Goodbye, FRIENDS!

Rachel: You guys wanna get some coffee?
    Chandler: Where?
  • We finally see what happens with the whole Ross and Rachel spectacular! Chandler and Monica finally get their baby (which turns out to be BABIES), Phoebe and Mike decide their going to try to have their own children, and Joey... well Joey is going to keep

A wonderful way to say goodbye. We begin with the whole Ross and Rachel thing, they've just slept together, we don't know where this will lead. Ross making the decision that he wants to be with her is interrupted by Gunther - finally telling Rachel he is in love with her - a brilliant piece of comedy if i ever saw one! We then get to focus on the Monica/Chandler storyline where they are meeting their new children, with the bonus surprise they are getting twins! A boy and a girl, everything they wanted! So we know they will end up happy. The Ross/Rachel thing is finally sorted - even after a whole airport mixup, awkward conversation and crappy joke about how they could be "on a break". The series ends with a wonderful yet incredibly sad scene where they all say goodbye to Monica's apartment. You can tell that in particular Jennifer, David and Courtney are totally devastated, judging by the spontanteous hug they have, with Jennifer having to hide her face the entire time because she is so upset. As Rachel says "It was just the perfect way to say goodbye..."

I MISS YOU FRIENDS!!!!!
  • The End Of An Era.....Im Saddened

Well...I must say this episode is very emotional and upseting for me but in some ways its also happy....

When Ross went to the airport for Rachel and talked to her, told her he loved her with his heart I was crying and when she said that she had to get on the plane it was unbearable....it was so heart wrenching...I admit i cryed....

Another thing that made me cry is when the baby chick and baby duck (the jr ones) get caught in the fooseball table and then chandler and joey have to break it open...and cant till they say goodbye...they say goodbye eventually but still cant do it..monica does it for them...In the next bit the boys are sitting on the floor with bits of the table around them and they are holing the little animals....also with them...is when chandler tells joey that he can keep the birds and joeys happy because then chandler has a reason to stay...chandler tells him that there was another reason to visit before and they do a little "lame man hand shake" but then nd up hugging.....it brung tears to my eyes...

And one final sad moment for me to talk about....when the boxes are packed in Monica and Chandlers apartment and the room is empty...how all 6 are there....they put there keys on the bench and then all decide to go to central perk for one last coffee and they walk out and close the door...and the camera goes around the empty room...does a shot with the six keys on the bench and then goes and does one last shot foreve...and its on the door with the frame around the little peep hole....and it fades to blackness and the credits roll.....

It really gets me how they can just end something like Friends....its an amazing show...and will never be replaced in my heart as a fan and im sure there are many more people around the world that feel the same way....

Goodbye Monica Gellar-Bing, Rachel Green, Pheobe Buffay (Hannigan), Chandler Bing, Ross Gellar and of course Joey Tribiani....We all love you so much!

Bye Neski
    xx
  • a great way to say goodbye

i would've rethought maybe a tad of the writing but it was excellent, and well executed. it was sad to see them go. i think the decision to have the second to final shot be of them walking out of the buliding was great, and have the final shot be on the door frame.
  • It was beautiful!

Oh i loved the ending.. It was very well written and The story just ended very well.. Ross and rachel, finally together.. i loved that he first got after her and then she got after him.. ah and the twince from mondler.. they were so cute...It was just.. the perfect way to say goodbye!
  • Wow I cried in this episode!

This episode made me cry for so many reasons. One, Monica and Chandler finally got their kid (actually two kids). It was great to see them finally get what they deserved after like 5 years together. I cried when Rachel left Ross and went on the plane, and I cried when she got off the plane and went to him. I cried when they all left the apartment and all we saw were the keys, which symbolized that they were really gone. All in all it was a great way to end the series (although I did not want it to end at all.) It was probabley one of the funniest episodes too. There was a lot of symbolism. Like Joey and Chandler breaking the fooseball table which said that things will change. Also, they keys were my favorite part. I loved this episode!
  • The perfect way to end a 10 year long series. Will Rachel and Ross end up together? The moment every Friends fan wanted to see for a very long time. It happened in one of the most exciting storylines in television history. Monica and Chandler finally get

How can six friends say goodbye to each other after 10 wonderful and hilarious seasons. This was one of the best ending in history to a series. On May 6th 2004, 51.8 million people tuned in to find out if Rachel and Ross would get back together? Would Rachel go and take the job offer in Paris? They kept us guessing until the very last few minutes of the finale. When Ross got the airport wrong, everyone was upset, and had their hopes up of finally reuniting the couple. All the twist and turns kept everyone on the edge of the seats as Rachel finally says, "I got off the plane", sending goosebumps through everyone's bodies. The perfect ending to a relationship that was on and off a break for 10 years. Monica and Chandler finally get their babies that they wanted, and in a last minute surprise twist, they receive twins! No one expected at the beginning of the season them having any babies, then in the end closing the chapter of that relationship with a huge shock as they recieved twins. This was the best way to end a 10 year long series. This has been a series that has raised the bar for upoming comedies to come to television. Friends will forever live in DVD and Syndication. For more on Friends visit www.geocities.com/raffaele881423
  • The one we have all been waiting for what a way to end a 10 year old series.

This was a great way to end a series. As Monica and chandler move on to there new home with there babies. The friends all come together to say goodbye. But when Rachel is about to go off to London the goodbye's get even harder the thought of Rachel and ross never being together for most is un canning. But when they kiss at the end and decide to spend there lives together it makes the show all worth while this is what friends is about. True lovr. no show could have ended better.
  • GREAT EPISODE!!!!

The episode was GREAT! it was a good way to end Friends. Monica and Chandler got their baby they wanted, plus they got another one! they have a boy and girl, Jack, after Monica's dad, and Erica, after the birth mother. Phoebe and Mike decide they want to have kids. Joey was just... Joey!!! and the best part Ross goes to the airport to tell Rachle that he's in love with her but she goes on the plain anyways...... but she comes back and they decide to get back together......AGAIN! I cried cause Friends is such a GREAT show and they ended it in a GOOD way!
  • I just can't belive it's over.

I really loved this episode. How everything finally falls into place. How even now they still find out new things about each other. One could actually feel that they knew each other, they cared about each other.

Ross goes with Phoebe to the airport to realize that they're in the wrong one. They finally reach Rachel on time just for her to say she has to go was terrible. Specially when Ross gets to his apartment and listens to the machine. Rachel saying how she felt and then feeling she has to stay and get out of the plane. I really loved this scene.

Ross wondering if she got out of the plane was really scary, what if she didn't? But she did. It was awesome, almost perfect. I had teary eyes but I couldn't avoid laughing at the really repeated joke about the "break". What if we are on a break? Yeah he shouldn't make jokes there but then again timing has never been a friend of Ross.
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! friends rox my world!!!!!!!!!

this was such a great episode. everything was really happy and yes, predictable. but i really seriously needed predictable because obviously we all want them to get back together and also that duck and chick thing with the bird calls and chandler going well yes, i'm quite the woodsman is sooooooooooohilarious.

i am gonna miss friends sooooooooooooooooo much i nearly cried. the ending with them all together was great.
  • I have always been a huge fan of friends and now that it came to an end it was sad to see them go... but good thing joey is still around to fill the time slot :p

This was a sad episode... it was good but It was hard to see them leave, Chandler and Monica have twins and bought an apartment, Pheoby is married, Ross and Rachel are hopefully together forever and Joey moved to las vagas with his sister(see Joey on NBC). I have always been a huge fan of friends and now that it came to an end it was sad to see them go... but good thing joey is still around to fill the time slot :p
  • I love this show so much!!!

I cant believe its finished!!!! It was the best show ever!!!! I love this show so much!!! I just bought the series 1 - 10 complete set. The last episode is so great!!! An awesome end to an awesome show!!!! I wish it would come back, just for one more episode ...
  • Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!

I cried! I cried because it was the end, it was sweet, powerful, it was everything! So many shows ended awfully, and yet they manage to keep 'Friends' perfect for ten years.

Monica and Chandler, one word - sweet. It was the perfect ending. Erica having twins was a great idea, and I tought it wonderful that they named the boy baby Jack. Courteney Cox and Matthew Perry were as always great, they have a lot of chemistry and made a lot out of Mon and Chan's relationship over these last four seasons.

Phoebe - a great flashback of everything Pheebs' has been. Singing, making stupid jokes, being sweet with her hubby, understanding Joey... I loved how Phoebe changed over the years.

Joey. Well, Joey's Joey. He sits in the paint. He doesn't get jokes. He eats. Joey remained with all the girls in the world, and, of course, the chick and the duck (SO happy to have "chicks and ducks in the world again"!). His moments with Chandler were amazing, showed how great friends they are.

And Ross and Rachel. She got off the plane!!! Ten whole years! It could not have been different, and yet they made it perfect. That last scene, of her getting in his apartment, was completely amazing! Probably one of the best quotes ever:
    Rach: "So this is it, you and I, together."
    Ross: "Unless we are on a break."
    Those writers rock.

As this is the end, let's finish it right.
    "How you' doing?"
  • h

omg i love it so much ross tells rachel that he still loves her when she is goin to paris but rachel still goes when ross gets home theres a message that rachel might have not got on the plane and from behind rachel goes i got off the plane i cried the best series finale
  • PERFECT SERIAL

Rach: "So this is it, you and I, together."
    Ross: "Unless we are on a break."
    Those writers rock.
  • Ross and Rachel get back together for once, Phoebe and Joey handle the departure of Monica and Chandler, who are struggling on moving our of an apartment filled with memories, plus the arrival of the twins!

I have always loved this show! Through each season, this great show kept improving until it culminated in this excellent series finale!
    I am really going to miss this show, it was a funny sitcom over all! Every character has its own personal attribute that makes it unique, funny, and crucial for the development of this gang in NYC!
  • make sure you have a box of tissues!

After 10 years Friends is ending,which isn't nessecarily a bad thing.Things have been bad for Friends this season.First of all,not a good way to end the show.You know how while they show the credits they show one last little clip?It ended when they went to go have one last cup of coffe.They could have at least showed what they talked about and show them having the cup of coffe.I cried and I always will cry.It was a happy ending,Monica and Chandler got the babies they always wanted,ross and raechel ended up together AGAIN,Joey moved to California with his cousin and pheobe went to live with Mike.second best episode and an Ok way to end a great series.
  • Brilliant Episode!

This episode is great. I'm so glad that it ends so happily. You may need a box of tishues though as this is a sad episode, it is the end of an era. The last time you will see a brilliant, fantastic, wonderful, good, great, spectacular, funny, well-made, good storyline, beautiful, brilliant, perfect friends sitcom episode. I know that you will enjoy this awesome episode!!
  • Monica and Chandler leave the city to raise the twins, Ross and Rachel FINALLY get back together, and...Joey gets to keep Chick Jr. and Duck Jr.

After 10 years of airing, this show has finally came to an end.

In this last episode, Monica and Chandler leave the city to raise the twins, Ross and Rachel FINALLY get back together, and...Joey gets to keep Chick Jr. and Duck Jr.

A great way to end a great show!

< 1 2 3 4