Friends

The Last One (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 06, 2004 on NBC

• Could it "be" any better?

For ten years Friends accompanied us. Am I sad that it is over? No. Will I miss it? Yes, of course.

Many successful TV series have the sad habit to stay longer on the air than absolutely necessary. It happened with the “Cosby Show”, and it is happening with “That 70’s show” now. You just have to know, when to walk away and let go.

I was worried that Friends might end up like Seinfeld, who produced one of the worst series final in television history, or would break the 3rd wall like they did on “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”. But instead the writers pulled of a really exciting and – yes, even if it’s sound lame – good episode, by given the fans what they really wanted.

Watching “The Last One” I honestly have to say that this episode was the perfect ending to a perfect sitcom. Sure it was not the funniest episode, but it did what it was supposed to do: give the audience a satisfactory conclusion.
  • A great show found its perfect ending.

It seems like only yesterday when we watched Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Joey and Ross sitting and chatting in Central Perk when Rachel rushed through the door in her wedding dress. 10 years later, it's still those six people. Still in New York. Still there for each other every single day. Still best friends.

The Last One is the perfect finale for the show. Monica and Chandler finally having their babies. Phoebe finally being with the man she loves. Joey...well, he's still Joey. But he'll find his way in his spin-off. And Ross and Rachel finally together again, after all this time.

This episode made me cry. Not only because it's the last one. But also because it's more we could've ever hoped and asked for. After watching all 10 seasons of the show, I'm convinced this is the way it was supposed to end.
  • Ended with a bang!

I have watched this show since the begining. It never fails to excite me. However, when I first heard that season 10 was going to be the last season, I was depressed. After watched the show for years, it grew on me, and they became my "friends" as you might say =D. It was an excellent way to create a possible and ethical ending to a great season. Even after the show ended I bought all ten seasons and watch them frequently. I am glad that such a wonderful group of actors brought so much joy to the entertainment industry.
  • "Just the perfect way to say goodbye"

It's "just the perfect way to say goodbye", says Rachel to Ross early on in this series finale, refering to their night together and her departure to Paris, and the same is true of "The Last One" as a show. No better way could've been found to end this show in a graceful, moving, non-gimmicky manner.

When the writers pulled the "Rachel is moving" trick, I actually went against my better instincts (which had told me from the pilot episode on that Ross and Rachel would finally end up together) and fear that the show might end on an ambiguous, bittersweet note.

I was proven wrong and the above-mentioned trick makes for a very exciting ending as Ross and Phoebe race to find Rachel before she leaves so that Ross can tell her how he feels about her. I admit freely that despite this being the third time I watched the episode, I have yet to see a clear picture of Ross and Rachel's reunion because every time my sight blurs from a few happy tears. Yes, I'm that emotionally invested.

The same is true of the other goodbyes (Joey - Chandler especially) and some of the heartwarming flourishes the writers put in the show: Gunther finally admitting his love for Rachel, Joey getting a new chick and duck, the dismantling of the foosball table, the birth of Monica and Chandler's twins, Phoebe in full "weird" mode singing musical numbers etc...

It's funny, It's happy and sad at the same time... the perfect way to say goodbye really.
  • Amazing finale.

You knwow sometimes, when a TV finale comes on, and when it ends, your like "That was such a bad way to end the show" Well, this finale did not end bluntly. It tied all loose ends in my opinion, it was a perfect way to end this wonderful series. I shed a tear,w ehn everyone walked out of the apartment. And I cringed when Rachel ended up going on the plane saying sorry to Ross. When she got off the plane, I jumped for joy! And then she kissed Ross. There finally together after almost 7 years of being on a break. Joey gets Chick & Duck Jr. Monica & Chandler take care of the babies. The gang returns their keys, and cuts to finish. Perfect!
  • definitely didnt want it to end, but was glad it ended like this

i loved friends and was so sad to see it end, but i guess it had to eventually and this is absolutely the best way possible. there were no loose ends, every character was taken care of and in a good place where you know theyre happy. but the writers didnt give too much either, just enough was left to the imagination.

nothing in the episode was strange or different. this finale was done in true friends style, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. the only thing i would change would be the end, the last scene. i would have liked to see the show come full circle. i think the last thing we shouldve seen was the six friends sitting in the coffee house drinking coffee and talking about nothing, similar to the pilot. i didnt like that the last scene in the coffee house was one that wasnt acknowledged.

overall, perfect ending to a spectacular show
  • As Rachel once said, "It's the end of an era!"

After ten years, 236 episodes, we have finally reached "FRIENDS"'s season finale. The twenty-something New Yorkians have grown and became wiser. They have had relationships intertwine so much even one with Ross and Monica was once introduced (creepy).

And now, everyone we've come to know and love has to leave. Chandler and Monica finally have their babies and are ready to move away. Phoebe is married. Ross and Rachel finally get back together, hopefully for the last time. And Joey, well he's still Joey. But at least he has L.A..

This was a really great episode. It is possibly one of the ten best episodes and a wonderful conclusion to the decade-long show. And again quoting Rachel, "It's the perfect way to say goodbye."
  • Did she get off the plane?

And so it is the end of friends!!!

I was really sad to see this great show end! The series had been amazing and to end what in my opinion was the funniest show on TV was so sad!!

But the finale is brilliant, with the whole Rachel Ross thing (ahhh) and Monica and Chandler leaving the appartment behind to start their new life with the twins!

I think I was disappointed with the final scene tho... but having said that I'm not sure how else I would have ended it (maybe I was just disappointed as I knew it was the end) but I do think that the final scenes could have been stronger!
  • A delicious and definitely satisfying culmination to what just may be the best (and most loved) sit-com of all time *sob*

Friends, Friends, Friends... what can I say? 10 years after Rachel comes staggering into Central Perk wearing a sodden wedding monstrosity and invites herself into Monica's apartment and her kooky circle of friends, the producers have decided that the fitting conclusion would be Rachel's departure. The show has come full circle, a full decade, a full journey. It's still as funny, kooky, heart warming and original as it ever was, and the writers and actors maintain those qualities to the very end. No fan will be disappointed. The only negative thought I had was 'What? No reunion movie?' Definitely one to watch.
  • Monica and Chandler leave the city to raise the twins, Ross and Rachel FINALLY get back together, and...Joey gets to keep Chick Jr. and Duck Jr.

After 10 years of airing, this show has finally came to an end.

In this last episode, Monica and Chandler leave the city to raise the twins, Ross and Rachel FINALLY get back together, and...Joey gets to keep Chick Jr. and Duck Jr.

A great way to end a great show!

• The Last One (2)

Perfect ending for a wonderful show. Ross (with Phoebe) rushes to the airport to tell Rachel how he feels, but ends up at the wrong airport, he makes it just in time to tell Rachel how he feels, but she gets on the plane anyway.
    They end up together. They all leave their key on the counter, and go out for one last coffee together. I am glad they ended it the way they did, it was really good.
  • Rachel tries to get on the plane to Paris, but she can't find her boarding pass. Ross is trying to get to the airport so he can tell Rachel how he feels. Joey loses chick and duck in foosball table. Erica delivers twins for Monica and Chandler.

Though not one of my favorite episodes, it was a great episode and one that any Friends fan would greatly enjoy. There were funny moments, but I think the ending was bittersweet. It was a little sad to watch the gang and think 'They're not going to be doing this anymore'.

The only reason I did not give it a 10 was because I didn't like the way it ended. I thought there was more story to tell. I would have liked to have seen it go on for one more season and the series finale should have been Ross and Rachel's wedding. Then they could have done flashback shows to show how their relationship (or non-relationship) evolved.
  • The amazing series finale

This is without a doubt the best eposode of the series. I loved how Ross thought Rachel didn't tell him goodbye because he didn't mean as much to her. Then she corrects him and they make love the night before she moves to Paris. She tells him that it was the perfect way to say goodbye and she'll never forget it. Ross realizes that he is still in love with Rachel and goes after her. He heads to the airport with Phoebe but it's the wrong airport. They head to the right airport but not before Rachel was boarding the plane. Phoebe shouts for Rachel and Ross tells her about his feelings for her and Rachel still get on the plane. Then Rachel calls Ross and tells him she loves him and Ross hears that she was trying to get off the plane. It beeps, stopping the message right before he finds out if she gets off. Did she get off the plane? What does the future have in stored for Ross and Rachel?
  • The end of one of the classic shows of tv. Full of laughs and surprises.

the episode that means a full stop in "friends" life couldn't be better. after all those ten years making us laugh, all the six stories have the finale they deserve.
    monica and chandler having their babies, joey living together again with the duck and chiken, phoebe married with a great guy, and the best thing of all, something that all "friends" fans were waiting, rachel and ross together again after all those seasons taking a break.
    the finale scene when they left they keys of the apartment is perfect for express the situation: start a new live apart.
    With all those things is going to be impossible not to cry and miss them!
  • I love this episode.

I think this episode was really great, the first time I watched it I thought it was not that good, I was hoping that Rachel had either left for Paris or stayed with Joey, but I guess with Matt LeBlanc's having his spin off was practically imposible this last one. After I bought the DVDs of the entire series I watched the whole show since the beginning and I realized that there was no better ending but Rachel staying in New York and ending up with Ross. Another thing I loved was seeing Monica and Chandler with their babies and Phoebe having a normal life finally. About Joey I would have liked that he hooked up with someone and end up in a formal relationship. The final scene in which everybody leaves their keys was perfect, for me it's one of the greatest scenes in the show.
  • This is the episode that ends the 10 best years of Television. FRIENDS is Truly the Best Show Ever made!

This episode actually brought tears to my eyes, i was so sad to see this brilliant Comedy, I cant explain how i felt knowing its actually ended. I couldnt belive it. The lives of these truly beautiful 6 friends touched people emotionly it sure did with me. I will never forget it.
    Nothing will ever replace Friends.
    I just liked to thank everyone of the show the creators, producers, directors the writers and ofcourse the 6 brilliant Actors of the shows. You have truly created the best show ever and millions and millions around nearly every country in the world would agree!

Ross and Phoebe chase Rachel to the airport, but end up at the wrong one. They narrowly make it to the right airport, where Ross declares his love for Rachel, but she gets on the plane anyway. A rejected Ross returns home, where he finds a message on his answering machine, revealing that Rachel got off the plane, just as the real thing shows up behind him. They decide to be together. Meanwhile, Chandler and Monica finish packing for their move to the suburbs, and Joey loses Chick Jr. and Duck Jr. in the foosball table. In the last scene when Monica and Chandler finish packing to leave to their new home in the suburbs, All Six Friends MONICA, RACHEAL, PHOEBE, ROSS,CHANDLER & JOEY leave together outside of the apartment to have one last coffee at Central Perk, thats how the best television show ever made ends.
  • This episode is about Rahael and Ross finaly getting back together, Joey losses his chick and duck in the foosball table and Chandler and Monica get ready to leave.

What can i say. This could be the best episode i have ever seen. It has everything, comic relief and sadly, saddness. I love the part when Phoebe says the Philange on the airplane because it keys in with her nickname. It was good how everything just connected and the ending was just perfect.
  • my way

Loved it
  • the last ever episode of friends, which will make you want to cry

in this episode ross finally admits his love for rachel and he and phoebe rush to the airport to stop her going. meanwhile chandler and monica are packing away the apartment when joey is going to give them thier housewarming present-a baby chick and a baby duck.however they get stuck in the fooseball table and thier only option is to break it open and get them out.
    meanwhile phoebe and ross get to the airport but they then realise rachel has already got on the plane and that they are at the wrong airport. phoebe then calls up rachel and tells her to get off the plane. a nervous passenger on the plane hears the conversation and gets off the plane. then everybody on the plane gets off. ross finally gets to the airport and declares his love for rachel but she gets on the plane anyway.ross then gets back home and listens to his answering machine. it is rachel saying sorry and realising she loves him too, she frantically pleads with the hostess to get off the plane. the message ends and ross says " did she get off the plane?" rachel is behind him and says"i got off the plane". they then kiss and vowe not to ruin it again.
    monica walks in on chandler and joey who cant break the fooseball table and breaks it open herself.chandler then tells joey to keep the chick and duck. they then hug and the final scene is with the six friends in the empty apartment. in the end they all put thier keys on the table and they all go out for one last coffee. the camera pans around the apartment, finishing on the door, and that marks the last ever episode of friends.
  • The finale - so hard not to cry!

Ross and Phoebe race to the airport, but end up at the wrong one (typical). They only just make it to the right airport and catch her. Ross manages to declare his love for Rachel, but she decides against staying in New York. An upset Ross returns home, where he finds a message on his answering machine, revealing that Rachel got off the plane, just as the real thing shows up behind him. They decide to be together.
  • Great way to end the series. Plus Rachel and Ross are together again

My favorite episode of the season. It closed the whole series altogher. I love the very last part when Ross came home and he saw there was a voicemail on his answering machine. He was listening to it and his facial expression when she said she wanted to get off the plane was so adorable. Then when the phone cut off and he had no idea what she was doing he was screaming at the phone did she get off the plane? Did she get off the plane? Then you hear her voice saying "I got off the plane" and he turns around and oh yes my favorite scene out of the whole series
  • The end of the end.

At least the show went out on a good note! I remeber watching this series finale with all these commercials... cuz it was such a good show! This was really a show that people of this generation are going to remember, the next "I Love Lucy". I have to say, I was so excited when Ross and Rachel got together of sure. So happy! They finaly got together in the end.
  • I CRYED :'(

this was the best episode of the series. i will never forget it. it made me cry and it made me laugh but ill still never forget it. the thing that saddened me most was that pheobe and joey didnt get together. i also didnt like it that chandler and monica moved away. that was the worst part . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . i will neva eva forget this episode. . .
  • Monica and Chandler come home with their new babies. Ross tries to stop Rachel from going to France. Chandler and Joey must pull apart the Foozball table to get the Chick out.

This was a fantastic episode! I can't believe its over! :-( To see Rachel and Ross back together again is great and the whole episode leaves you with the feeling of everything working out for the six of them. It was nice to see Chandler and Joey back together again. Its been a while since they have hung out like that.

The only problem was the way it ended with Joey. I felt like all the other characters had really reached a different point in their life but Joey just stayed the same. Maybe thats just what fits the character.

All up: Ten giant coffee cups out of ten!
  • The friends end their ten year run

This was a perfect ending to an amazing show. It was sweet, funny, with a touch of drama. Some sitcoms try to do big, shocking series finales, but not friends. They kept it simple and used the same formula that kept the show on for an entire decade. They have their three or so storylines. Rachel and Ross. Monica and Chandler moving and having babies. Chandler and Joey getting the chick out of the table. I especially liked the Ross and Rachel storyline because it ended just how I always thought it should. I didn't want a simple, quick solution. I wanted a long, up and down path were they ended up together. Which, of course, they did.
  • PERFECT SERIAL

I cried! I cried because it was the end, it was sweet, powerful, it was everything! So many shows ended awfully, and yet they manage to keep 'Friends' perfect for ten years.

Monica and Chandler, one word - sweet. It was the perfect ending. Erica having twins was a great idea, and I tought it wonderful that they named the boy baby Jack. Courteney Cox and Matthew Perry were as always great, they have a lot of chemistry and made a lot out of Mon and Chan's relationship over these last four seasons.

Phoebe - a great flashback of everything Pheebs' has been. Singing, making stupid jokes, being sweet with her hubby, understanding Joey... I loved how Phoebe changed over the years.

Joey. Well, Joey's Joey. He sits in the paint. He doesn't get jokes. He eats. Joey remained with all the girls in the world, and, of course, the chick and the duck (SO happy to have "chicks and ducks in the world again"!). His moments with Chandler were amazing, showed how great friends they are.

And Ross and Rachel. She got off the plane!!! Ten whole years! It could not have been different, and yet they made it perfect. That last scene, of her getting in his apartment, was completely amazing! Probably one of the best quotes ever:
    Rach: "So this is it, you and I, together."
    Ross: "Unless we are on a break."
    Those writers rock.
  • Wow I cried in this episode!

This episode made me cry for so many reasons. One, Monica and Chandler finally got their kid (actually two kids). It was great to see them finally get what they deserved after like 5 years together. I cried when Rachel left Ross and went on the plane, and I cried when she got off the plane and went to him. I cried when they all left the apartment and all we saw were the keys, which symbolized that they were really gone. All in all it was a great way to end the series (although I did not want it to end at all.) It was probabley one of the funniest episodes too. There was a lot of symbolism. Like Joey and Chandler breaking the fooseball table which said that things will change. Also, they keys were my favorite part. I loved this episode!
  • THE BEST EVER!

I love this episode. Is definitely one of the best episodes ever! Phoebe and Ross together are hilarious especially when they are in phoebe's cab, and Chandler and Joey also.
    I cried and laughed so much during this episode.
    Long live F.R.I.E.N.D.S!!! The best sitcom in the world! Top Class Programme
  • And the curtains close...

After 10 years of love, friendship, and laughter, this series finale definitely ends the show in a remarkable, emotional, and comedic way.

Ross and Rachel sleep together the night before Rachel has to go Paris, but Rachel considers it as the best way to say goodbye, leaving Ross crushed. Joey tries to comfort Ross, surprisingly well and maturely, but Ross refuses to listen and goes after Rachel in the airport.

Monica and Chandler\'s baby is being born 3 weeks prior the due date. Little did they know that they were about to have twins, a boy, Jack, and a girl, Erica.

Joey gets The Bings a chick and a duck for a housewarming present, but they get stuck in the foosball table. They are forced to say goodbye to the foosball table, which Monica tears down.

Rachel at first refuses to stay after a long and thrilling chase from Ross and Phoebe. When Ross gets back home, he finds out that Rachel was trying to get off the plane, creating a nice scene with Ross and the answering machine. One of the most emotional scenes in the show then happens when Rachel says \"I got off the plane.\"

The show ends with the apartment being emptied, and everyong giving up their keys. They then walk out for one final cup of coffee together.

All together this episode is definitely one of the most memorable episodes. The major plotlines are given a beautiful resolution, finishing off with a joke from Chandler.

It\'s pretty cool how Monica says the first line of the show and Chandler gets the last.
  • Fantastic episode, really great!

With this episode the magic journey of FRIENDS has come to an end. I think that this is how I imagined the show would end after all, with the big reunion between Ross and Rachel - which I think could have been plotted better, during the whole season- and a happy ending for every character. I didn't like the choice of a spinoff about Joey, that caused him not having any "closure" within this episode, I would have been more willing to see another spinoff about Chandler and Monica dealing with their new life as parents (it could have been "The Bings"); this way Joey could hav had his own happy ending, making this episode even better. Besides Ross&Rachel's reunion I liked the table breaking and the final scene the most, since there are about the "Goodbye" the show has given us. Not to mention the final sequence with the actors leaving and that beautiful song playing while the camera shows us the empty apartment, a real tearjacker. Maybe this really was the perfect way to say goodbye...
< 1 2 3 4