Friends

The One in Barbados (1)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 15, 2003 on NBC

• This is an amazing episode. This episode is a testement to how amazingly perfect season 9 was. This also has to be one of the most nerve-wracking episodes to watch, ever.

I can't describe how good this episode is. I'm not quite sure what makes this episode so good though. The cast is excellent. Hank Azaria makes his final appearance, over 200 episodes after his first appearance. Paul Rudd returns to the cast after quite a shocking turn of events. Aisha Tyler plays her part as a character involved in a love triangle very well too. It was quite ambitious of the writers to make a recurring character have feelings for two of the main characters, but they pulled it off, just like they did with Paget Brewster in season 4.

One thing I like about this episode is Phoebe's large role in it. Phoebe doesn't often get good storylines, but in this episode she does, and it works very well. Lisa's acting is fabulous too. I love it how she tries to cover up the fact that she said Mike's name instead of David's.

Monica's hair is also very funny. I love the many jokes Chandler makes about it.

Another thing I like about this episode is the Ross and Rachel hints throughout. Like when Ross and Rachel stand together in the hallway and sigh, and how Phoebe's mixing up of names makes the viewer think back to Ross's wedding to Emily in season 4. I also like the subtle 'It's raining, so we can't go outside.', which makes the viewers think back to the The One At The Beach, and what Ross and Rachel went through there.

Another thing I love about this episode is the drama. The build-up to the proposal spell-binding. There is the whole inevitability that something is going to happen. Chandler 'meddles' and David ends up wanting to propose to Phoebe, then Monica 'meddles' and tells Mike that Phoebe is in Barbados and that David is going to propose to her! Then Phoebe says that if David proposes to her, she will say yes! Then Mike appears just as David is going to propose, and he proposes first! The only thing that bugged me a bit was how David got rejected just like that. That must've been devastating for him. I think Phoebe could've been a little less harsh on him.

What makes this episode great is a perfect mix of drama and comedy.
NICK 2