Friends

The One Where Joey Speaks French

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 19, 2004 on NBC

• The very worst of Friends, a fine example of what went wrong.

2.1
    Now, I am a huge Friends fanatic, but the Joey storyline where Phoebe tries to teach him French is simply, and I'll use a Chandler quote to make my point here, "one of the worst things I've ever seen! And not just on TV". It is So cringeworthy it makes it unbearable, and I honestly can't rewatch it without my eyes rolling so far back they go all the way round. I'll even go as far as saying that this episode is insulting.

I will never understand at what point they thought that was in any way funny. In the writing room? Whilst filming?! I guess you have to look for it, but that is where the comedy lies here: the fact that while they were filming, at least someone must have said "excuse me, but this is complete rubbish" only for him to be labbeled a nutcase.

This episode, does have some saving grace thankfully with the Rachel/Ross and Chandler/Monica storylines, but even then some of the humour is poor. But it is hard to see much of it in a good light with that shadow of true awfulness looming heavy at all times.

Anyway, this episode is the epitomy of everything that went wrong with Friends. The final couple of seasons became all about the storyline and tying things up. The writing got sloppy and the jokes poor and at times awful. This was for me the all time low. A real Shame.