Friends

The One Where Monica Gets a Roommate (a.k.a. Pilot)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 1994 on NBC

• Help please 10

How can I watch it?
  • love it and allways the best

best show ever made
  • l like it so much

Great
  • Why won't it play

I can't figure out how to play it somebody help please
  • Ross: (About Carol being a lesbian) She didn't know! How should I know? Chandler: Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian. (Everyone turns to stare at him) Did I just say that out loud?

Monica and the gang introduce Rachel to the "real world" by mugging her after she leaves her fiance at the altar. I have started to re-watch "Friends" again. This episode is awesome, I love it. Some really awesome lines in this episode. I love the gang, all of them the writers and everyone else did a great job getting the right people for each character in my opinion and don't think anybody else could of done the job these guys did. I loved every minute of this episode every time I watch it. All in all one of the best pilots ever.
  • great

Monica and the gang introduce Rachel to the "real world" after she leaves her fiance at the altar. Well I just started rewatching Friends last night and I found myself laughing at this episode more than I ever have, there are so many great lines in this fantastic Pilot episode and we are introduced to our favourite group of friends, Chandler, Pheobe, Monica, Rachel, Ross and Joey. My favourite part is when Chndler say, "Sometimes I wish I were a women... Did I just say that out load" it was really funny and it always makes me laugh, this was probaly one of the best pilots of all time after Lost's of course.
  • Rachel Moves In With Monica After Dumping Barry At The Altar, Monica Sleeps With Paul The Wine Guy And Ross Splits Up With Carol Because She Is A Lesbian.

Rachel Moves In With Monica & Meets The Rest Of The Gang, She Dumps Barry At The Altar Because He Looked Like Mr Potato Head!
    Monica Sleeps With Paul, The Wine Guy :) Ross Divorces Carol Because She Is Now A Lesbian With Susan, And Ross Moves Into A New Apartment With The Help Of Chandler & Joey.
    Joey & Chandler Try To Cheer Up Ross, Who Is Sad That Carol Is A Lesbian.
    This Is Such A Great Start To A Amazing Show Which Has Taken The World & Lasted 10 Years!
    What A Great Show, I Love Friends So Much, Especially Rachel, She's Funny :)
  • Phoebe: Ooh... I just pulled out four eyelashes. That can't be good

• perfect start to a perfect show!

Meet Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, Ross and the newest addition, Rachel.

Monica is a chef and Ross's younger sister. Phoebe is a musician/massager. Joey is a struggling actor. Chandler is an office worker and Ross, the paleontologist is recovering from his recent divorce to his now lesbian ex-wife, Carol.

Rachel has just left her husband, Barry Farber, at the altar and storms into Central Perk, looking for old high school friend, Monica. Rachel is very spoilt, and relys on her 'daddy' to do everthing for her, so its up to Chandler, Joey, Ross, and Monica to introduce her to the real world!

This truely is a GREAT start to the GREATEST show ever created! Thankyou to Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane for creating the best show ever!
  • The beginning of 10 years of magnificent entertainment.

We are introduced to six very different, but all very lovable characters. Each with his or her own weaknesses and strengths and each with his or her own lovable attributes. We are introduced to Monica Geller, sister of Ross Geller, who's best friend is Chandler Bing, who's roommate is Joey Tribiana and who's friend, Phoebe Buffet. Wait, that's only five. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the spoiled little girl who is introduced a little later to everyone else. Her name is Rachel Green and she my friends, has never worked a day in her life. No it is up to the gang to teacher her how to live a normal life and they also teach her the way to live. Amazing episode, the beginning of it all!
  • A great start to a great show

This show is awesome. You can usually tell how well a show is going to be by the pilot episode. The pilot episode for this show gets a 10/10 from me. It's stylish, sexy and funny. What more could we wish for. I hope the six are around for a long time filled with comedy and laughter.
  • great start

THis episode is just the beginging. We learn about Ross and his divorce with this lesbian wife. We learn that phoebe is quirky and different but brings great humor to the group. We learn that Rachel is used to being spoiled and someone else caring for her but now she's ready to make a new start and get her first job. We learn that Joey is a goofy actor and Monica is obsevssive compulsive about keeping things clean. THis is a wonderful comedy about 6 friends in their mid twenites trying to make it in the world with work and love.
  • When writing your review, remember to keep the language c

Rate this episode on how you feel it stacks up against other episodes from this show. Ratings go from 0-10 with 10 being the highest. Be sure to click "Submit" next to your rating, before you continue with the rest of the review form. When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below.
  • this was the start of something very special

this was the start of something very special this is a great show i cant belive it ended . They just grew on you . I loved this show from the beginning . its sad it had to end but they ended it perfectly . there are so many great episodes. . . . . . . i can not pick one they are all great all of the actors play there part good which just makes this show really work . . it can make u cry and laugh all in the one episode! ! ! ! ! !
  • This episode was a beginning on an era

Who knew freinds would have such an impact on our lives? and this is where it all started of! where Rachel runs away from her wedding to crash at Monica's! Where we are first introduced to all the characters and see how they will unfold over 10 superb seasons! We find out that Ross married a woman who eventually became a lesbian and he is stil reeling from the divorce! We see Joey a smooth talking new york failed actor. Monica and obsessive compulsive person! Chandler sarcastic and funny! Rachel spoilt and typical head cheerleader and Ross who is a mess!
  • The One That Started It All

This was the first episode ever, the one that started it all. I love this episode. This is where we first meet the gang and learn how they know each other. It's such a sweet moment when they help Rachel gain independence from her family. I loved when Ross tries to ask out Rachel at the end and tells Monica he "grabbed a spoon". It's interesting to see how little involvement Joey, Chandler and Phoebe had early on. Watching this episode and the later ones and you can see the evolution of their characters. I'm glad they writers developed them so nicely. Overall this is a great beginning of a great show.
  • Great way to start a great show!!!!!!!!

This is by far my favorite sitcom ever. I have all 10 seasons and have watched every show numerous times. This pilot was a great way to introduce all the characters and their stories. Each character develops a little more in every show and by the end of the 10th and final season it's almost like there are different people walking out of the apartment. You notice the way there characters change, the wardrobe changes, and especially all the hair changes.

For instance, Rachel's voice is higher and kind of annoying in the beginning, her outfits are shorter, and you can tell that she is the newcomer, but as the seasoons go on her character becomes more stylish and goofy.
    Monica is like the mother hen in the beginning. She's not real funny yet, and she is the more serious, grown up one. She really gets funny and kind of like a kid at times, but by the end, she is the serious one again.
    I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

I know that this was not really about the pilot episode, but I just wanted to give my opinion of the show.
  • PILOT

Rachel leaves Barry at the alter and moves in with Monica. Monica goes on a date with Paul the wine guy, who turns out to be less than sincere. Ross is depressed about his failed marriage. Joey compares women to ice cream. Everyone watches Spanish soaps. Ross reveals his high school crush on Rache
  • The first episode of one of the most popular comedy shows of all time.

In the first episode of "Friends", one of the most popular sitcoms in the history of television, we meets five friends, who hang out in Central Perk, their favorite coffee place, and with the sudden arrival of Monica's ex-best friend Rachel, the story of Friends begins. While Rachel is trying to fit in the life without the support of her parents, Monica is dating a guy who tricks her into sleeping with him on the first date, Joey & Chandler are kidding around, just like in the entire show, and Ross is unhappy due to his divorce.

I thought the first episode was above average, but still wasn't such an amazing episode. We meet the characters, we find out about each person's personality, but this episode is just a lead-in to a huge and successful series. It's all that a pilot episode needs to be -- it doesn't reveal too much, but just enough to get the show starting.
  • A Classic

Does anyone notice that in the first few episodes of the series Jennifer
    Aniston uses a slightly higher voice than the rest of the series? It's a little more nasal and ahrd to take at times. It's especially noticeabl when she's on the phone to her father talking about the hat and the gravy boat.
    I liked this episode but am always annoyed at how Phoebe doesn't tend to do anything. If you watch the DVD version you see that there is a deleted scene in which she sings in the subway, but otherwise there is really nothing else she's doing that isn't annoying.
  • The one where it all began (pilot) rachel (jennifer aniston) dumps mr potato head at the altar. Ross (david schwimer) finds out his wife is a lesbian and get 1 of 3 of his divoces.

This is a fine exsample of a good start to some think what is so great. It has every type of comedy. joey does the dump part in it but in the first two episodes you dont see the stupid side of joey, you only see the smart side but as the series goes on you relly start to notice how stupid joey relly is. Phoebe does a bit of every comedy she can be relly stupid at times and relly smart at others. rachel is the one who can not see past money and persestions but as the series goes on she changes alot. monica is a women who is lookin to seltal down. ross is a man who needs help after getting a divoce. chandler is the funnest person on the show by taking the mick out of all of his friends.
  • it all began to chage our lives

This episode change my life i dont know about your it was a really great episode I love the way they introduced thre characters. Like Rachels the spoiled never lived in the city type. Ross the Divored from a lesbian guy. Phoebe the weird hippie singer. Monica the obesssed with cleaning gal. Chandler funny man. And joey the man who sleeps with every one!
  • good

This is just an all-time classic episode, from the opening scene to the end. This episode is fantastic. The thing that is so amazing about it, is that it feels as if it could've been any episode. Even today when I watch it on re-runs, it doesn't look stale or outdated. The writers did such a great job introducing the characters to us and making me feel as if I have been watching for years.
    The scene where Phoebe, Monica, Ross, Joey and Chandler are watching the spanish soap opera is hilarious. I have never seen a pilot episode that was as funny as this one. It is brilliantly written and perfectly acted.
  • Classic episode from beginning to the end.

• The one that started it all... and one of the finest episodes of friends

This episode was the one that started it all. I became an avid fan of the show a few years ago, and bought the first season on dvd because I was very depressed and wanted a laugh. Friends gave me just what I needed. This episode is great. I think it is the episode where we have learned most about the characters, i.e. Phoebe\'s history, Ross and Carol\'s relationship, and of course, the infamous crush Ross had on Rachel. This episode showed a lot of excitement, the feeling you get when you know something magnificent is going to happen I loved this episode and if you haven't seen it yet you should.
  • The one that started it all.

This episode was the first of a great sitcom. When I watch this episode now I just think about how the characters have grown, and how none of the actors knew the show would go as far as it did. 10 years later and the show is as popular as ever.
  • Where it all started!

I gave this episode a 10 because of course...It's where it all started. If you watch the first episode and then the last episode(s), I swear it'll send chills down your back and make you feel warm inside. To see that 11 years ago that an amazing show could start out with this first ever episode.
  • The One That Started it All!

FRIENDS may be one of the greatest sitcoms known to man. Don't deny it. Here we meet the characters that we have all come to love for ten brilliant years. Six twenty-somethings just trying to make it in the big city. In the pilot, Monica has sex with a guy on their first date, Rachel runs from the altar and decides to enter the real world, and Ross is divorced... for the first time. It's funny how much has happened during these last ten years.
  • This turned into ten years of magic!

This turns into ten years of magic. An under the radar show turns into a huge hit and making the cast not just well-known but millionaires in the process. Still a hit in syndication. As we are introduced to Joey an actor, Chandler the wise-cracker, Ross the divorcee with the ex who is a lesbian, Monica the level-headed chef, Phoebe the musician-librarian, and Rachel, the bride who got cold feet. As they hang around not just Central Park cafe, like a Starbucks in NYC. But they hang around their apartment building. As Rachel the rich girl gets a job from the coffee-restaurant. Never having to work in her life until now. Everybody greets her when Monica calls her out. It starts into huge magic for the six.
  • This episode began Friends' brilliant 10 year run. This was the beginning of the genius that is Friends.

This episode began it all. It introduced the characters and set us up for what would be a truly magical series.
    It is definately one of the most inportant episodes of the entire series because it was the beginning. We learnt about the relationships between the main characters. We found out what the characters were like and how they felt about each other.
    When Monica uttered those first words, "there's nothing to tell" who would have known what was to follow, 10 years of pure magic.
    We learnt that Monica appeared to be the glue that held the group together, Chandler was the sarcastic one, Joey was, well, the slower one of the group, Phoebe was the kooky one, Rachel was the spoilt one who left her fiance at the altar, and Ross was the one goung through a divorce, who was totally in love with Rachel.
    Throughout the series they grew into much deeper characters, but this epsiode merely introduced them to us. The introduction is very important in the evolution of the characters throughtout the series.
    Therefore this episode is a very significant part of the phenonemen that is Friends.
< 1 2 3