The One Where Monica Gets a Roommate (a.k.a. Pilot)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 1994 on NBC

• Rachel leaves her husband at the alter and moves in with Monica. Thus the gang of six young pretty men and women are formed...

As Pilots go, this one is actually quite good. Not only does it introduce us to the characters in a funny and appealing way, it also sets up some of the storylines we'll be dealing with in the coming seasons. An example of this is of course the future relationship between Ross and Rachel.

Another very good and rare aspåect of this Pilot, is how the cast already acts like the friends they're supposed to be, there are small touches that really makes us buy that these people have a history. They joke and tease each other like real friends do.

The only real problems I have with this episode is the small continuity problems that pop up, like Rachel not knowing Chandler and Barry's last name. Even though these problems are unfortunate, the are not critical and most of them can be explained away with relative ease.

All in all, this is an excellent start to a series deserved to last a long time. I'm not saying this is the best piece of television you'll ever watch, but the wit and cameraderie is clearly present even from the very first scene. And as the episode ended, I personally couldn't wait to watch the next one.
  • The first episode. Rachel leaves her finace at the altar. Ross's wife moves out after finding she's a lesbian. Monica goes on a date with her crush from work.

The problem with pilot episodes is that they are often not true to the future of the TV show. The premise of the story will be shaky, seemingly only there to tell the audience who the characters are and what the show will be about. Except, the characters grow as the show continues and the pilot looks outdated and laughable.

Not so with the FRIENDS pilot. The characters are the same as the ones we saw in the finale, albeit more grown up and changed slightly through the years.

This episode is pretty funny, Chandler\'s wisecracks are some of the best there have been. You immediately feel for Ross; he plays pathetic and depressed Ross as well here as anytime throughout the series. Rachel is the spoiled rich girl not sure where to turn, the one who will grow through 10 years of FRIENDS. Monica is... Monica. And of course, we see Phoebe and Joey at hilarious moments.

See the FRIENDS pilot to see how it all started. It is not one to miss!
  • The characters are introduced in this pilot episode of the hit show "Friends".

This is the pilot episode of "Fiends" which became one of the most sucessful sitcoms ever. Five friends are introduced in Central Perk: Joey Tribbiani, Monica Gellar, Ross Gellar, Pheobe Buffay, and Chandler Bing. They are talking about recent things that have happened to them. Ross talks about his lesbian wife Carol and her lover Susan, then wishes he was married.
    Rachel Green walks in wearing a wedding dress, and notices Monica her highschool friend. Rachel was getting married, but then noticed that her fiance Barry looked like Mr.Potatohead, and she didn't love him so she escaped through the window in the bathroom. She ends up staying with Monica. Also in this episode Ross moves into his new apartment. This is the funniest pilot episode I have ever seen for a sitcom, and a monumental part of "Friends" history.
  • Five friends named Monica, Ross, Phoebe,Chandler and Joey have to teach Monica´s high school friend Rachel how to be independent.

This is Friends\' pilot episode. We are introduced to five friends named Monica, Ross, Phoebe, Chandler and Joey. Monica´s high school friend Rachel Green suddenly comes to New York and asks Monica to live with her because she left her fiancé Barry( that,as she notes,is a Mr. Potato Head-alike). While that, Ross is depressed because her ex-wife Carol left him after she discoverd she was a lesbian. And Monica discovers her boyfriend Paul(the wine guy) is a big fat liar when he lies to her, telling he can´t make love for 2 years just to go to bed with her.
  • The One That Started it All!

FRIENDS may be one of the greatest sitcoms known to man. Don't deny it. Here we meet the characters that we have all come to love for ten brilliant years. Six twenty-somethings just trying to make it in the big city. In the pilot, Monica has sex with a guy on their first date, Rachel runs from the altar and decides to enter the real world, and Ross is divorced... for the first time. It's funny how much has happened during these last ten years.
  • Rachel has to learn to live in New York without her father's money. Monica has to overcome her boyfriends story. Chandler and Joey help Ross cope after Carol moves out.

This episode starts off Wierd I thought because they are all talking and then Ross comes in and talks about him and Carol. Then as soon as Ross says that he would prefer to be married Rachel comes in still in her wedding dress. I find that a little ironic but it worked. Later on though is where it gets interesting because when Joey, Rachel, Monica, and Chandler were talking about going to work and their jobs. Rachel asked Joey what he was in acting wise and then they went on for a minute about the play then my favorite part of the episode is when Chandler dances out singing "Once I was a wooden boy." The episode is a awesome pilot because it gives you alot of background on the characters.
  • Where it all started!

I gave this episode a 10 because of course...It's where it all started. If you watch the first episode and then the last episode(s), I swear it'll send chills down your back and make you feel warm inside. To see that 11 years ago that an amazing show could start out with this first ever episode.
  • The one that started it all.

This episode was the first of a great sitcom. When I watch this episode now I just think about how the characters have grown, and how none of the actors knew the show would go as far as it did. 10 years later and the show is as popular as ever.
  • The beginning of a beautiful friendship

Although this is not the funniest episode of Friends ever it is one of the few programmes I have seen where all the characters are already fully developed and are three dimensional before the first ad break. Chandler especially sums up his messed up psyhe from his parents\' divorce witht the line, \"Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian.\" The relationship between Ross and Rachel is also set up beautifully, showing the difficulties Ross has always had with Rachel - opening the umbrella, and then the scene when they both stare out the window into the rain wondering about their future love life, and then Ross\'s hesitant questioning Rachel whether he might be able to ask her out whilst sharing a cookie. However we don\'t get enough of Phoebe and Joey\'s hair bugs me every time I see the pilot. As they say, \"Things can only get better\" and though starting from a high perch they did.
  • Excellent introduction to their first actitudes.

It´s not my favorite episode but it is an excellent episode, the fact to first introduce the characters to the audience, to show their first personalities, they changed over the seasons of course, but it is a good thing that they introduced them in that form, here we learn that Joey is dumb and is an uemployed actor, that Chandler is the sarcastic funny one, that Monica is the neat one and the chef, that Rachel is an overspoiled girl that depends of others to live, that Phoebe is the spiritual crazy one, and that ross is the miserable one.
  • The entire cast of Friends is introduced as the gang of 6 meet up in New York City. Rachel, the 'spoiled rich girl', comes to the city after leaving her fiance at the altar.

I must say I am a bit jaded about this episode. After watching all the episodes of Friends, how does one rate or reflect this episode? Am I supposed to pretend like I have never seen any of the other shows and rate it slowly based on this script or am I to compare it with the rest of the series. Either way, I ironically find the pilot episode comes up short for my favorite comedy of the 90s. The jokes are average and the acting is okay. The chemistry is great, I will admit. And I think it is the chemistry that allowed all of us Friends fanatics to be able to sit through the first couple of episodes in order to get to the heart of the series. In this episode, each character is introduced. Monica is an anal-retentive control freak who holds a job as a chef. Phoebe is an eccentric, bohemian, New-Age masseuse. Ross, Monica's older brother, is a serious yet frumpy paleontologist who is recently divorced after his wife discovered she was a lesbian. Joey is an amateur actor, hoping to make it big, both in his career and with the ladies. Chandler is the 'funny' one of the gang who works as a data processor (whatever that means). And finally, we meet Rachel, a spoiled, self-involved WASP, who arrives at Central Perk in her wedding dress after abruptly leaving her orthodontic fiance at the alter to track down her high school friend Monica.
  • The one that started it all... and one of the finest episodes of friends

This episode was the one that started it all. I became an avid fan of the show a few years ago, and bought the first season on dvd because I was very depressed and wanted a laugh. Friends gave me just what I needed. This episode is great. I think it is the episode where we have learned most about the characters, i.e. Phoebe\'s history, Ross and Carol\'s relationship, and of course, the infamous crush Ross had on Rachel. This episode showed a lot of excitement, the feeling you get when you know something magnificent is going to happen I loved this episode and if you haven't seen it yet you should.
  • Classic episode from beginning to the end.

This is just an all-time classic episode, from the opening scene to the end. This episode is fantastic. The thing that is so amazing about it, is that it feels as if it could've been any episode. Even today when I watch it on re-runs, it doesn't look stale or outdated. The writers did such a great job introducing the characters to us and making me feel as if I have been watching for years.
    The scene where Phoebe, Monica, Ross, Joey and Chandler are watching the spanish soap opera is hilarious. I have never seen a pilot episode that was as funny as this one. It is brilliantly written and perfectly acted.
  • good

• Awesome Episode!

What a way to start off one hell of a sitcom. Friends has to be, hands down, the funniest sitcom in history, with it\'s hilarious one liners and its characters.

This seems to focus more on Rachel then anyone else, a bit on both Monica and Ross but mostly Rachel steals the spotlight, not that that is a bad thing. The only problem is Joey doesnt really say anything, and thats a big shame, it isnt really till the second episode that they put him out to be the dumb one, I really thing they tried to make him kinda smart in this one, well not smart, but not retarded as he seems in the later series.

All in all this was a great Pilot and I enjoyed watching it.
  • From this episode on our lives changed! (may contain SPOILER on this episode and the major storyline)

The pilot episode of FRIENDS isn't just the berginning of the amazing adventure of those six friends that became a myth. I think this episode is amazing. We can find everithing that brought friends to success: great comedy, good romance (at least a glimpse of it) and "real" characters. In fact I can't stop laughing when I watch this episode and at the end we can see the beginning of Ross&Rachel love story ("I grabbed a spoon"). But the key to success are the characters, I mean who hasn't a funny friend, a geek friend, a Rachel-like friend and so on...? So this episode "is" friends... Watch it but I warn you= you'll want to watch all the other ones after this one.
  • it all began to chage our lives

This episode change my life i dont know about your it was a really great episode I love the way they introduced thre characters. Like Rachels the spoiled never lived in the city type. Ross the Divored from a lesbian guy. Phoebe the weird hippie singer. Monica the obesssed with cleaning gal. Chandler funny man. And joey the man who sleeps with every one!
  • This is the one where it all began.

This was a great episode all of teh cast was together for the first time. We got to learn about all the characters and what tehre story is. From this very first episode Rachel and Ross were a match. This episode began with all of them having there own problems but they all pull together as friends.
  • The one where it all began (pilot) rachel (jennifer aniston) dumps mr potato head at the altar. Ross (david schwimer) finds out his wife is a lesbian and get 1 of 3 of his divoces.

This is a fine exsample of a good start to some think what is so great. It has every type of comedy. joey does the dump part in it but in the first two episodes you dont see the stupid side of joey, you only see the smart side but as the series goes on you relly start to notice how stupid joey relly is. Phoebe does a bit of every comedy she can be relly stupid at times and relly smart at others. rachel is the one who can not see past money and persestions but as the series goes on she changes alot. monica is a women who is lookin to seltal down. ross is a man who needs help after getting a divoce. chandler is the funnest person on the show by taking the mick out of all of his friends.
  • Rachel - Monica - Phoebe Joey - Chandler - Ross

We said hello to a brand new comedy sitcom in 1994.

The first episode of the hit sitcom featured the union of the six best Friends, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler and Ross.

The episode follows the Friends as we meet Rachel, who just ran out on her wedding and immediatly moved in with her old high school friend, Monica.

Ross meanwhile mourns for the breakup of his marraige - his wife left him for another woman.

Joey managed to hit on Rachel on her wedding day - Chandler shows us his clever, sarcasticly oriented comedy.

Phoebe - Well she asks to cleanse Ross's aura - What do you think?

Watch the show, you're missing out on the biggest show of all time if you don't.
  • A Classic

Does anyone notice that in the first few episodes of the series Jennifer
    Aniston uses a slightly higher voice than the rest of the series? It's a little more nasal and ahrd to take at times. It's especially noticeabl when she's on the phone to her father talking about the hat and the gravy boat.
    I liked this episode but am always annoyed at how Phoebe doesn't tend to do anything. If you watch the DVD version you see that there is a deleted scene in which she sings in the subway, but otherwise there is really nothing else she's doing that isn't annoying.
  • The first episode of one of the most popular comedy shows of all time.

In the first episode of "Friends", one of the most popular sitcoms in the history of television, we meets five friends, who hang out in Central Perk, their favorite coffee place, and with the sudden arrival of Monica's ex-best friend Rachel, the story of Friends begins. While Rachel is trying to fit in the life without the support of her parents, Monica is dating a guy who tricks her into sleeping with him on the first date, Joey & Chandler are kidding around, just like in the entire show, and Ross is unhappy due to his divorce.

I thought the first episode was above average, but still wasn't such an amazing episode. We meet the characters, we find out about each person's personality, but this episode is just a lead-in to a huge and successful series. It's all that a pilot episode needs to be -- it doesn't reveal too much, but just enough to get the show starting.

Rachel leaves Barry at the alter and moves in with Monica. Monica goes on a date with Paul the wine guy, who turns out to be less than sincere. Ross is depressed about his failed marriage. Joey compares women to ice cream. Everyone watches Spanish soaps. Ross reveals his high school crush on Rache
  • Great way to start a great show!!!!!!!!

This is by far my favorite sitcom ever. I have all 10 seasons and have watched every show numerous times. This pilot was a great way to introduce all the characters and their stories. Each character develops a little more in every show and by the end of the 10th and final season it's almost like there are different people walking out of the apartment. You notice the way there characters change, the wardrobe changes, and especially all the hair changes.

For instance, Rachel's voice is higher and kind of annoying in the beginning, her outfits are shorter, and you can tell that she is the newcomer, but as the seasoons go on her character becomes more stylish and goofy.
    Monica is like the mother hen in the beginning. She's not real funny yet, and she is the more serious, grown up one. She really gets funny and kind of like a kid at times, but by the end, she is the serious one again.
    I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

I know that this was not really about the pilot episode, but I just wanted to give my opinion of the show.
  • The One That Started It All

This was the first episode ever, the one that started it all. I love this episode. This is where we first meet the gang and learn how they know each other. It's such a sweet moment when they help Rachel gain independence from her family. I loved when Ross tries to ask out Rachel at the end and tells Monica he "grabbed a spoon". It's interesting to see how little involvement Joey, Chandler and Phoebe had early on. Watching this episode and the later ones and you can see the evolution of their characters. I'm glad they writers developed them so nicely. Overall this is a great beginning of a great show.
  • This episode began Friends' brilliant 10 year run. This was the beginning of the genius that is Friends.

This episode began it all. It introduced the characters and set us up for what would be a truly magical series.
    It is definately one of the most inportant episodes of the entire series because it was the beginning. We learnt about the relationships between the main characters. We found out what the characters were like and how they felt about each other.
    When Monica uttered those first words, "there's nothing to tell" who would have known what was to follow, 10 years of pure magic.
    We learnt that Monica appeared to be the glue that held the group together, Chandler was the sarcastic one, Joey was, well, the slower one of the group, Phoebe was the kooky one, Rachel was the spoilt one who left her fiance at the altar, and Ross was the one goung through a divorce, who was totally in love with Rachel.
    Throughout the series they grew into much deeper characters, but this epsiode merely introduced them to us. The introduction is very important in the evolution of the characters throughtout the series.
    Therefore this episode is a very significant part of the phenonemen that is Friends.
  • A great start for the best series ever!

The pilot episode is classic Friends material. It is brilliantly written and packed with laughs. The cast is absolutely amazing and they click together so well. This is an incredibly smart show and you can't help but love it. I only had to watch one episode of Friends to fall in love with it. I bought every season on DVD and the first season may seem somewhat different from the others but its just as great. This first episode really portrays the characters very well; you can tell they all have distinct personalities yet they understand one another. Watching this episode makes you feel as though you are included in their little group.
  • The first ever "Friends episode".

Although "Friends" was to become one of the most loved show's in television history this dosen't show how good it's is going to get. In the first scene it introduces Monica, Pheobe, Joey, and Chandler. Jokes are made but they are rather bad one's. In the following scenes we are introduced to just-ran out Rachel and divorcee Ross (Monica's brother). We are shown Monica's apartment (Were over 60% of the shows footage was shot in it's 10 years) which Rachel decides she will stay until thing's get sorted with her fiancee. That night Ross admits he had a crush on Rachel in highschool and wonders whether he could ask her out some time. She responds "ye" and this is what sparks a 10 year "will they won't they" on-and-off relationship.
    We learn that Monica is a chef, that Joey is an actor, That Chandler is a ehhhhh.... well i didnt listen to Chandler!(Who does?) and that Pheobe is a masssage therapist. This makes Rachel find a job and at the local coffee shop where they hang out(In the first episode the name "Central Perk" wasn't known) she finds a job as a waitress.
  • ok but not the best

this was ok but it was not the best i thought they could have done a better line and plot to the whole episode but it was ok but anyways here is the review:

the review:

We're introduced to the gang as they hang out at one of two places: their favorite java hut, Central Perk, or Monica's apartment. Make that Monica and Rachel's apartment. After Rachel leaves her Mr. Potato Head-look-alike fiancé Barry at the altar, she moves in with Monica and discovers that independence sucks when you don't have Daddy's credit cards to rely on. good good good good
  • The one where it all started

If this was the first episode i had seen of Friends, I wouldn't have bothered to watch the rest. This first episode wasn't anything special in my opinion. It wasn't special and in my opinion one of the worst episodes of Friends. The only thing that stood out, was Chandler's sarcasm. He manages to brighten up every episode ^_^ It shows how spoiled Rachel is and it introduces Ross' whining. It does make good material for comparison with other episodes throughout the series. It makes a nice contrast since you can really see how much the characters have developed since then.
< 1 2 3