Friends

The One Where No One Proposes

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 2002 on NBC

• Fabulous. A great Ross and Rachel episode.

I love this episode. It is extremely funny. To me it sort of feels like The One Where Everybody Finds Out, but instead of finding out about Monica and Chandler's relationship, they find out about the engagaement. I love each of their reactions. Monica's is funny, Rachel : Joey proposed to me.
    Monica : That's so innapropriate. You just had Ross's baby!
    Rachel : And I said yes.
    Monica : That's so innapropriate. You just had Ross's baby! What were you thinking?..It's bigger than mine!

and Chandler's

Joey : Rachel thinks I asked her to marry me.
    Chandler : Why would she think that?
    Joey : Because it kind of looks like I did.
    Chandler : What?
    Joey : Well, I was down on one knee.
    Chandler : As we all are, at some point during the day.
    Joey : No, Ross's ring fell out of his jacket, I went to pick it up, I showed Rachel the ring, and she thought I was proposing.
    Chandler : Wait, Ross was going to propose?
    Joey : I guess.
    Chandler : And you did it first? That's going to kill him, you know how much he loves to propose!

And I love it when Phoebe thinks Ross has proposed to Rachel, and Ross is really confused, and Ross thinks that he may have actually proposed to Rachel, because it seems like something he would do. It's also hilarious when Ross tells Rachel that nobody has propsed to her, and Rachel says Joey did, and I love the look on Rachel's face when Ross tells her Chandler didn't propose to her.

I also thought it was great when Phoebe tells Ross that he touches himself when sleeping in public, and then tells Rachel that her fiance touches himself in his sleep and Rachel (thinking of Joey) says he isn't surprised.

Monica and Chandler's storyline is very funny too, and I liked it how Jack forgot about Ben, and then looked at the wrong baby. And it was funny when Joey ate the plastic fruit.

This is a great Ross and Rachel episode, because the contrast between Ross and Joey with Rachel is evident all the way through the episode, especially when Ross is able to look at Rachel breast-feeding, and Joey is all nervous. It proves the writers do know that Ross and Rachel belong together, and didn't think Joey and Rachel were better.

I can't think of a single criticism of this episode, I just this it's superb.