Friends

The One Where No One's Ready

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 1996 on NBC

• Brilliant episode! A frustrated Ross trying to get everybody ready for an important night at the museum without seeming to get very far with the task as everyone seems to have "more important" worries.

This is one of my favourite episodes of all time. It is in "bottle" format, i.e. the six of them are in the same space throughout the episode and there are no guest stars. This immediately gives actors the chance to create an outstanding ensemble performance.

The storyline takes place over a minimal amount of time compared to the couple of days of a normal storyline. Here it is only just under 30 minutes and it is emphasized by Ross constantly checking the time and counting down minutes.

The multiple storylines in this episode are smaller and more connected than in regular episodes. This is one of the reasons I find this episode so funny: the problems are absolutely minimal and the characters have to start arguing about them just when they are in a hurry, even if they normally get on so well with each other. We can also see how the mood of one person can affect the whole group. Ross seems to be the one who causes all the frustration in the first place. He thinks he is helping but is really making things worse by making everybody angry. It feels nice when you see everybody making up with each other at the end even if you have expected this. Of course the small storylines are brilliant themselves, especially the childish argument about the chair between Chandler and Joey. I think that this episode really highlights the different qualities of the six of them, which is one of the reasons I would especially recommend it to people who are maybe not very familiar with 'Friends' yet. It is a nice lighter episode without any significant effect on the main storyline giving the real familiarity and feel of a sitcom. Absolutely classic.