Friends

The One Where They're Up All Night

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 11, 2001 on NBC

• I wet myself with laughter!

When the friends are trying to spot a comet from the roof top, they get pretty tired and decide to go home. Joey and Ross get stuck on the roof, Rachel and Tag loose some important documents and they go to their work place to try and find them, Phoebe is kept up by her fire alarm beeping all night long and Chandler Monica try to find ways to help themselves sleep.

This is probably the funniest episode of season 7! (the one where they all turn thirty being the best) Phoebe is classic in this episode, And probably Tags best episode so far.
  • They\'re Up All Night...

Finally, a decent episode in this season. While on the roof, waiting to see the meteor shower by Ross\'s order, the friend leave, and Ross and Joey stay on the roof, trapped, and they must find a way to get down, and they decide to go down the fire escape.

This part of the episode was the best, I really loved how Ross and Joey\'s personalities contravened. Their scenes were really funny. However, the other friends are also not resting. Phoebe, who is home also, is fighting with a fire alarm, who won\'t stop beeping, and she\'s trying to get rid of it, in her own, Phoebe way -- just the way I like it.

When Chandler can\'t sleep, he is trying to find something to do, and Monica is mad \'cuz he woke her up. Yet another good story. And Rachel and Tag are in Rachel\'s office, where their romance is interrupted by some office business. And this is yet another good story. I must say I really enjoyed the episode. Finally an entire episode this season full of interesting stories and good humor.
  • Great episode. Might of been a minor filler episode

This season was about preparing for Monica and Chandler's Wedding and this episode had no element of that but it was nice to have a break from that and watch an enjoyable episode.

Ross assembles the gang on the roof to watch a meteor shower. They all decide to leave, however. Ross becomes trapped on the roof with Joey; the two try to escape using the fire escape. Rachel and Tag argue over which one of them forgot to send a package at work. Phoebe's fire alarm won't stop beeping. Chandler and Monica can't seem to fall asleep together, so they keep waking each other up.
  • This was one of the best episodes of the seris

this waould have to be one of my most favorite episodes on friends it was absouloutley hilarious i could not stop laughing at this episode especially when pheobe accidentley smashed the reset button off the alarm that could not stop beeping and when ross had to climb down the front of joey when they were stuck on the firte escape stairs after going down them because the were stuck on the roof! i really miss this hsow it would have been great if they made more episode (some of them like this episode) this was one of the best episodes ever made. thank you Zachery Rosenblatt for making this episode.
  • Another one of Friends' best episodes. Very funny scenes and a hilarious Phoebe - what's not to like?

After climbing on the roof for some star-gazing our friends can't sleep because of different reasons. Rachel and her new boyfriend and assistant Ted try to find out if an important paper went out or not. Chandler and Monica keep each other up all night. Ross and Joey are stuck on the roof and try to escape. And Phoebe has her very own problems with an annoying fire alarm.

The four different stories in this episode all revolve around not being able to sleep. And every one of them is very funny and interesting. Rachel and Ted's childish fight over who has forgotten to send away the papers. Monica who keeps Chandler up and CHandler who keeps Monica up ("I'm going to spill all over..." "I'm up!"). Ross and Joey's attempts to escape the roof are just hilarious. But the reason I really love this episode is Phoebe's performance. There are no words for her greatness in this episode and I just have some quotes: "Please don't be an alien" "Don't interrupt me" "Fire alarm?" (after the fire man was knocking) and so many more.

Great performances, funny stories and all in all a very good episode.
  • "Butt to face or face to face? I don't think we thought this all the way thourgh"

My favorite part of this episode was Joey and ROss trying to get off the roof. They were up there looking for some star that never came by. Joey took the pipe out of the door causing it to lock on them. Ross freaks out and starts yelling down to the people on the street "help us were stuck up here and we can't get down" Joey tells him theres a fire escape we can climb down. They are on their way down when the ladder is stuck. TO get down they have to jump. Joey climbs down and hangs while ross climbs down him. It's really funny!
  • A very good plot!

This plot was great for Friends. All the characters part ways in the beginning. What tehy don't know is that their in for one hell of a night. Phoebe's fire alarm is driving her crazy so she tries t break, and disarm it. The firefighter tells her to press the reset button. But she broke the reset button. It was great how they developed the plot with just one character. Monica & Chandler, have trouble falling asleep in bed for some reason. That was kind of a dud to watch. There was funny parts too though. Rachel & Tag looking for some papers at work. What I realized is that they never get a chance to have sex. Something always interrupts them. And it was Rachel who was wrong. Not Tag. And finally the gay innuendo continues between Joey & Ross, as they try to escape the roof. I like when they climb on top fo each other. That was hysterical!
  • Not the best, but still good

"The One Where They're Up All Night" really has no point, but still has its funny moments. Joey and Ross get stuck on the roof after trying to see a comet with the gang, and are forced to climb down the fire escape. Rachel and Tag get into an argument over whether or not Tag mailed out a set of contracts. Rachel insists that she laid them on Tag's desk, and he insists that he never saw them. They go to the office, where Rachel discovers that she was wrong. She tries to cover it up, but Tagsees right through the ruse. Meanwhile, Chandler can't sleep and keeps waking up Monica for various reasons.
  • a good episode

Ross assembles the gang on the roof to watch a meteor shower of bergen stein. They all decide to leave, however. Ross becomes trapped on the roof with Joey; the two try to escape using the fire escape but get stuck leaving them ross to fall down after joey says hes not wearing any underwear and his pants are falling down. Rachel and Tag argue over which one of them forgot to send a package at work but it was rachaels fault. Phoebe's fire alarm won't stop beeping and attempts to destroy it fail. Chandler and Monica can't seem to fall asleep together, so they keep waking each other up. a funny episode.
  • Ross becomes trapped on the roof with Joey. Rachel and Tag argue over which one of them forgot to send a package at work. Phoebe's fire alarm won't stop beeping. Chandler and Monica can't seem to fall asleep together.

Awesome episode!! I laughed so much!!! When Ross is yelling that they are stuck and then Joey shows him the fire escape then Ross yells that out. I thought the funniest part is when Ross and Joey get stuck again and Ross has to climb down Joey the face to face way. I could not stop laughing during that part!!! Tag and Rachel were like the only ones that weren't trying to sleep. Rachel and Tag are so cool together being that they work together in all. I almost forgot at the beginning when Ross asked Joey madly where was the door holder and Joey was looking for it.
  • I'm actually surprised the rating for this episode is only 8.8. I would have thought it deserved above a 9.

This episode produced a classic moment as well as some of the funniest Phoebe scenes I could think of. The classic moment is of course Ross and Joey trying to get down the fire-escape. When I think of Joey and Ross...this scene is one of the first thing that comes to mine...closely followed by when they were nap partners. I mean, how classic is "When we said face-to-face, I don't think we thought about it all the way through."

The funniest Phoebe scenes is dealing with her smoke detector. Just recently, the smoke detector in my house had similar problems so I can relate to this storyline even more. God I love all the ways of her dealing with the problems. and then when the fireman brought back the firealarm that she thew in the trash. "Phoebe?"...."Fire alarm?"....Too hilarious.

Rachel and Tag disproving each other about the note was fun and so was Chandler and Monica's bedroom problems, but of course they pale in comparison when you compare the other two storylines.

So overall, one of my favorite episodes of the season.
  • Not funny and goes nowhere.

Easily one of the worst Friends episodes ever written. For a starters, none of the individual storylines are particularly interesting, entertaining or amusing, all are trivial and easily forgettable. I'm not a fan of disjointed episodes like this where none of the respective storylines have any bearing on each other anyway, it brings nothing new to the table for any of the characters, and it's only because the individual stories are so pointless that the episode can get away with spreading itself so thinly (there's probably a very good reason sitcom episodes generally don't have 4 separate stories going on at once).
  • One of the worst episodes made i think to go with a very poor series.

This is bad from the start... te gang are hanging out on the roof waiting to see a meteor shower which Ross said was coming however after hours of waiting the friends including Tag get cold and bored so they all leave except Joey and Ross but Joey trying to see into a girls aparment across the street takes the piece of pipe there using to hold the roof door open to get a better look and so it turns out they are noew stuck on the roof. Phoebe is woken up by her fire alarm going off and she is unabe to stop no matter how hard she tries and this keeps her awake all night.
    Chandler cant sleep and wakes Monica up to ask her what to do to help him sleep and so shes mad at him and there both awake in the end Monica tries to sleep but Chandler constanly awakens her so there up all night.
    Joey and Ross still stuck on the roof go down the fire escape at the side of the buiding but have trouble because its stuck and one of them is gonna have to jump.
    And finally Rachel and Tag are arguing over whether Tag sent off some important documents or did Rachel even give them to Tag in the first place.