Friends

The One Where Underdog Gets Away

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 17, 1994 on NBC

• Monica makes a Thanksgiving dinner to the gang.

Monica's parents are going to have Thanksgiving with friends,so she and Ross will have dinner alone and Ross wants it the way they have every year. Joey wins his first modelling gig as poster boy,but the poster advertising is about sickness and everybody turn away from him, even his parents. Rachel wants to go in her family's Thanksgiving dinner,but she's broke and her boss won't give her an advance. Phoebe and Chandler(who hates Thanksgiving) are going to have dinner with Monica too,so all the gang is going to her apartment. While that, Ross fights with Susan to see who gets more attention of their unborn baby.
  • I don't get how Underdog became a part of the plot? They should have focused less on Underdog and more on the gang spending their first Thanksgiving together. Meanwhile the plot line of Ross speaking to his baby is very sweet.

7.1
    I found this episode to be a little blase. Maybe they rushed it out because of the holiday season, I don't know. Monica decides to make Thanksgiving dinner for the gang when everyone's plans fall through for the day. It sounds promising, but it delivers just adequately. I always thought the writers were capable of better. A truly fabulous moment, however, occurs when Monica is making potatoes and finds out that Ross wants lumpy mashed potatoes, Joey wants tater tots, and Phoebe wants creamy mashed potatoes with onions and peas. So Monica, frustrated but trying to make the day special, goes about to cook 3 seperate potatoes. When Underdog's balloon goes missing the gang goes to the roof of the apartment (which they never showed...I found that odd) and when they get back, they are locked out of their apartment. By the time they can get in, dinner is ruined and they are forced to eat Chandler's version of Thanksgiving: grilled cheese.
  • Thanksgiving

Monica's first Thanksgiving dinner for the gang burns when they all run to the rooftop to see the runaway Underdog balloon from the parade. Joey wins his first modeling gig as the poster boy for VD. And Ross competes with Susan to "communicate" with his unborn baby.

The thirst of ten very special thanks-giving episodes. Thanksgiving in Friends has made a very special name for itself and just watch all ten of them and see how they have evolved in humor and quality.
  • I'd like to prepare a toast. May all our thanksgiving memories not suck as much as Chandler's.

6.2
    I thought this episode was so-so. I really liked Joey and the VD thing. It was a pretty good episode. No belly laughs in this episode but there was some chuckling. I liked the Ugly Naked Guy and his girl thing. That was cute. Nothing really made me laugh hard this episode. Liked the ending with them all eating Grilled cheese. I'm sure for many (including myself) this brought back great (and not so great) thanksgiving memories. Didn't find that Underdog was that big in the plot. If it were a Snoopy balloon he would have been in the title instead. All and all it was an entertaining episode but it had worse Friends jokes than we've come to know and love. So on the comedy it was a dud. On plot it was pretty good.
  • Monica's first thanksgiving dinner is torched , so what does the gang eat? Chandler's grilled cheese sandwiches and family size bag of Funyuns , of corse!

This is one of my favorite episodes! I love Chandler's whole story of why he doesn't eat Thanksgiving dinner.
    I also like how everyone wants different kinds of potatoes.
    Ross wants mashed with lumps. Pheobe wants whiped with peas and onions. Joey wants tator-tots. Monica really busted her butt! The story line is good too. The whole thing with Rachel wanting to see her parents and family in Vale, Joey being the VD guy, Chandler not eating traditional Thanksgiving food, Ross competing with Susan on comunicating with the unborn baby, and Unerdog getting away.
    I wish they would've shown the Underdog balloon flying over the park though. Still it's a great episode.
  • An average episode.

6.6
    At the beginning its good that someone told Rachel that she was a bad waitress even though she doesn't think she is. This episode isn't one of the funniest ones and not one of the unfunny ones it inbetween. If I was in Monica's shoes I would not have made all the different kinds of potatoes I would have just made one and if they didn't like that then to bad for them. Ross finding out that Susan was reading to the baby is funny because nothing good ever comes to Ross. Rachel doesn't get to go skiing which sucks but it makes the episode better at the end. When the underdog does get away its funny because when they get back and everything is burned Monica has a breakdown that is kind of scary but the ending is truly special.
  • Monica's Thanksgiving dinner for them turns bad when they all run to the rooftop to see the runaway Underdog balloon from the parade. Joey gets a modeling gig as the boy for VD. And Ross races with Susan to talk with his soon to be born baby.

Just another great episode of the enormously popular sitcom Friends that lasted must see TV for 10 years on Thursday at 8/7 central on the channel of NBC . Monica trys to have a Thanksgiving dinner but is ruined when everyone is on the rooftop looking at the Underdog ballon . Joey is given a gig for modeling for VD . Ross and Susan compete for talking with his soon to be born baby son who is later called Ben . This episode is truely watch worthy for everybody that is willing to see an amazing show of everything .
  • The friends plan Thanksgiving together minus Rachel, who is going to Vail w/ family, but she ends up missing her plane. Monica's turkey burns when they get locked out of the apartment

This is a really good episode. It was hilarious. Chandler even joins in eventually when the dinner is ruined and they have to eat his grilled cheese stuff. It was terrible that Rachel missed her airplane, especially after the other friends ended up paying for her to go spend Thanksgiving with her family. The Underdog balloon getting away was hilarious as well, since no one was hurt. The dinner being ruined, made it quite funny. I thought the fact that everyone wanted different kind of potatoes and that Monica actually agreed to make them all was rather funny. She has a weird need to please people, even her parents who play favorites with Ross. The fact that their parents would go off to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving and leave them on their own was funny as well.
  • amaizing

nothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " mnothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " monia, only dogs can here you now!" onia, only dogs can here younothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " monia, only dogs can here you now!" now!" nothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " monia, only dogs can here you now!" nothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " monia, only dogs can here you now!" nothing is over exaggerate or fake. I espesially like the part where monica is complaining about thanksgiving dinne and chandler goes, " monia, only dogs can here you now!"
  • very funny

Monica's first Thanksgiving dinner for the gang burns when they all run to the rooftop to see the runaway Underdog balloon from the parade and end up getting locked out of monicas apartment so rachel misses her plane. Joey wins his first modeling gig as the poster boy for VD so his parents dont want to see him . And Ross competes with Susan to "communicate" with his unborn baby by singing and telling stories which at first he is very uncomfortable about . it ends up no ones plans go right and they spend thanks giving with eachother awwww.
  • veryy funny episode!

'basically i'm grateful you're thanksgiving sucked' LOL! Chandler always has something so wrong on so many levels to say! This is a thanksgiving episode and everyone is going their seperate ways and doing things with their families! But in the end everything goes wrong! everyone thinks joey has syph so he can't go! Rachel misses her plane! and so they all end up staying together and due to the turkey being burnt because they were locked out of their apartment they have nothing to eat! So they toast with bread and wine to a 'horrible christmas' and a 'crappy new year'
  • ONE OF THE BEST!!

this episode is really funny, in this episode everyone had plans to go away for thankgiving but everyone's plans went wrong so monica ends up having to cook everything for everyone but then when underdog gets away from the parade, they all go out to look but it turns out no one had keys so they all get locked out and when they finally get in everything has been burnt and monica gets really angry, they all just end up eating sandwhichs and that's the way that chandler wanted thanksgiving and ended up having a great time. joey also it mistaken for having VD.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • Shoop SHoop SHoop

Rachel is trying to get money to go on her families Thanksgiving ski trip, but is having a difficult time doing so. The gang gets together and gives Rachel the money for her plane ticket. Joey does a model ad but he doesn't know what for. Till he's at the subway trying to pick up a girl does he find out he's posed for a VD ad. Because of this his family thinks he has VD.

Monica is trying to make thanksgiving dinner and everyone has thier own requests. CHandler is watching the parade and sees that Underdog got away and get everyone to go outside to look. They all get locked out of the apartmemt. Rachel misses her plane and dinner gets burned.
  • Great.

This is a really special episode of Friends, because, it's the first Thanksgiving episode. No one planned this Thanksgiving dinner with all the gang, or the dinner that eventually happens, but, it turns out they are all together anyway. Monica and Ross are supposed to be going down the traditional route and going to their parents house for Thanksgiving dinner, but they find out that their parents are going to Puerto Rico. Monica decides she will make her own Thanksgiving dinner, and invites Phoebe and Ross. Joey is supposed to be going to his family, but after a photo shot, they all think he has VD. Chandler doesn't participate in Thanksgiving, so he has no plans. Finally, Rachel wants to go skiing with her famil in Veil, but can't afford the ticket. They all end up at Monica's, but, when they go outside to see the underdog, the thanksgiving dinner gets burnt and Rachel's ticket is inside the apartment. In the end, the all make up and have their first thanks givng dinner together. I loved these lines - Chandler: Alright I'd like to propose a toast, a little toast here. Ding, ding! I know this isn't exactly the kind of Thanksgiving that all of you planned, but for me, this has been really great. You know, I think because it didn't involve divorce or projectile vomiting. Anyway I was just thinking, I mean, if you had gone to Vail or if you guys had been with your family or if you didn't have syphilis and stuff ... we wouldn't be all together you know, so I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm very thankful that all your Thanksgivings sucked.

Chandler: (To Joey) And this from the cry-for-help department. Are you wearing makeup?
    Joey: Yes, I am. As of today, I am officially Joey Tribbiani, actor slash model.
    Chandler: That's so funny, 'cause I was thinking you look more like Joey Tribbiani, man slash woman.
  • Monica plans a lovely, quiet Thanksgiving feast in her apartment but her plans go awry. (DVD Summary)

Although this is a good episode, it just isn't the same as the other infamous Friends Thanksgiving episodes. In a good bit of continuity, we first learn about Chandler's hatred of Thanksgiving. Joey's subplot was very funny. I wouldn't be that surprised if he really had VD by then... I did have a hard time believing that when the gang ran out to see Underdog loose in New York, someone actually locked the door... The best part of the episode was the end. All the friends end up together for the holiday eating the traditional... grilled cheese sandwiches. Another great installment.
  • An adventurous first Thanksgiving episode event that will go down in the history as one of the most funniest episode for me!!!

I really like this episode and it is one of the most memorable episodes fore me.I watched it this week and it gave me so much fun and excitement that the whole week turned out to be great for me.I really love this episode because it shows the full potential of Friends and the great middle of the first season.Thanksgiving is a Friends event and this is the first episode from this annual event and it is one of the greatest.It is someind underrated but I think it's great.The plot is very interesting and intriguing.Monica is making the perfect Thansgiving dinner in order to make everyone from the friends happy as they spend the holiday with the family.This is the first Thanksgiving together for them and the end of the event is great when thet=y sit for a dinner and there is no turkey.I adore Friends.It's great every season!!!
  • Ross: (Singing to Carol's stomach) Hey, hey, I'm your daddy. I'm the one without any breasts.

• Awesome.

The One Where Underdog Gets Away - Monica plans a lovely, quiet Thanksgiving feast in her apartment but her plans go awry. What an awesome episode of "Friends". This is one of my faovurites in sesaon one, because it is so funny, and I always love the Thanksgiving episodes and this has to be in the top five favourite Thanksgiving episodes. I love the way everyone wants different potatoes. Oh and I always love it because Joey "gets" VD. So funny. Some awesome line and scenes in this episode of "Friends", that is why I love it so much. All in all awesome episode, I love the way Ross is with the baby too. Oh and I also love Susan in this episode, she is very funny.
  • The UN-perfect Thanksgiving.

This episode was really great and it is a definite classic. The first real holiday episode. Everyone wants their Thanksgiving to be perfect, well there in for a very NOT perfect Thanksgiving. All of the holiday is ruined when Monica & Rachel leave the keys in their house. Ross' plot with singing to the baby wasn't that funny. Everything else was very good. I like how they showed clips of the actual parade. And actual underdog. I like how Monica has a psychotic breakdown towards the end of the episode. I kind of felt bad for her and how none of her friends appreciate her. But an amazing classic episode.
  • Great

Monica burns her first Thanksgiving dinner as the Underdog balloon gets away, Joey become a poster boy for VD, and Ross sings to his unborn child. The first Thanksgiving was a good one, the series has delivered funnier Thanksgiving episodes but this one was a good first try. Joey having VD was histerically funny the posters around town and at times square and the scene at the subway where the girl hes hitting on runs off after seeing the poster lol. I like the ending with the sandwiches what a crap thanksgiving that would be. I give it a 8.5 out of 10