Friends

The One with a Chick and a Duck

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 17, 1997 on NBC

• Joey gets Chandler a duck. Could there be a better gift?

Ross and Rachel take another step toward being friends, by Ross sacrificially helpful Rachel when she is injured. They have a nice moment, and instead of it leading to a reconciliation, it seems to move them forward in friendship. I believe they broke up Ross and Rachel too soon, most likely bowing to pressure for the networks about big ratings. So this moment was necessary to keep them together as friends and keep the show going.

Monica finally moves forward with her career and with Pete. I like the actor who plays Pete, but at this point in the season, you nearly forgot he was around. They shouldn't have waited so long to bring him back.

This was also the beginning of one of the best running story lines of the show - the chick and the duck. Some really hilarious jokes came out of these two animals overs the years. 'What did the **** duck do now?" "He did not each a jar of your face cream..." I also think the last scene over the credits is one of the funniest they've had over the years.
  • This episode is hilarious!

After seeing a commercial, Joey buys a chick and brings it home to an awestruck Chandler. Meanwhile, Monica is thinking of taking a dream job of hers to work at Pete's restaraunt, but worries that there is more to the deal than that.

I looooved this episode. It had me laughing non-stop. Chandler attempted to bring back the baby chick, but didn't and instead, brought home a duck! So now Joey and Chandler are parents...

Anyways, this episode is definitely one of my favorites. Especially since this is the one where they introduced the chick and the duck. A classic! But wait, there's more!

After Rachel has an aching pain in her stomach, Ross decides to skip his TV debut and stay with her. When she realizes all he has done for her, she ponders on why he decided to stay with her...
  • Yasmine, the chick.

I love how they introduce this plot! We see the duck & the chick for three more years! So it was a definite classic. The Pete arc continues except this time, Monica & Pete actually like each other, and Monica is finally working at a decent job now!I like how Monica is finally out of the diner. It got tiring after a while. Ross & Rachel almost get back together! Ross turns down from being on TV to be with Rachel, to help her out in her time of need. Reminded me of the good old days. Rachel's reaction to him doing that, whoa. I thought she was going to kiss him right on the spot. A great developing episode! I like how they took a break from the Kate arc as well.
  • The best non-comedic moment for Ross, another great episode (what else from season 3)

This is one of the very first episodes i watched from FRIENDS, since i started watching it by chance on the italian television, but i immediately fall in love with it! I recall this episode, besides from the hilarious comedy so common in the third season of the show (probably the best among the 10 seasons), because of what i think is the best non-comedic moment for Ross. In this episode he does one of the sweetest thing he could have ever done to Rachel, i still don't understand why she didn't forgive him immediately when she realized what he did, but whatever.
    I will talk about the greatness of season 3 in other reviews, but i want you to remember this episode for being the sweetest expressions of Ross's love for Rachel!