The One with All the Jealousy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 16, 1997 on NBC

• Fun and entertaining, like all good "Friends" episodes, but definitely missing a finer touch

Season 3 is arguably, one of the weaker seasons of "Friends". Unlike the second, fourth, fifth and eight seasons, which glowed with brilliance at every step of the way, the third season of "Friends" went through a bit of rough territory. In spite of all this, it was more than watchable and made for many entertaining episodes, if not slightly forgettable.

"TOW All the Jealousy" focuses around the sudden declination in Ross and Rachel's relationship, as a result of the appearance of co-worker Mark. Although this humour already begins to feel repetitive (for the previous episode saw Ross go through very similar changes), it certainly does make for some highly amusing stuff. To me, this is the changing point in Ross' character. Though often hated by fans, to me, Ross is one of the strongest, most consistently entertaining and most memorable characters. Virtually all of the show's funniest and most memorable moments revolve around Ross, and this episode, certainly is a changing point in Ross as a character. Never too interesting in earlier seasons, he is finally coming into his own.

There are two of three story lines that work. Once involves Ross' increasing jealousy of Mark, which leads Ross on a desperate quest to "mark his territory" over Rachel, and the other involves Joey's audition for a Broadway play.

The third story involves Monica going on a date with a poet/co-worker of Monica's who writes a particularly insensitive piece of peotry about Monica, which she misinterprets. This story line does not work, is entirely unfunny and bogs the episode down.

As for the Ross/Rachel story, the ending of the episode begins to feel out of place considering the context of the season: Ross does not move on at all from Rachel and Mark, in spite of their conversation at the end of this episode (which is further played on by Rachel's sudden burst of jealousy)

"TOW All the Jealousy" is funny, amusing but mostly, one that is easily worth a skip. 7.5/10
  • Ross & Rachel continue to fall apart.

Just when you think it can't get worse, it does! Mark actually works right next to Rachel. While Ross tries to "Mark his territory." "You might as well peed all around my desk!" - Rachel. That was hilarious. And then Ross tries to make Rachel jealous by going to a stripper for a playdate. I like how in the end, Rachel realizes she is jealous! Meanwhile Monica & the busboy wasnt my favorie plot. Well first of all, I hated the busboy from the beginning, so towards the end, I'm glad he got what he deserved. Joey lying on his resume, caused him a lot of consequences which was hilarious!
  • Just a small step-down, but still good.

After many great episodes this season, here is just a little step-down... Although it's not so great, this episode also has its times. It's full of humor, but the stories just haven't impressed me too much. Monica is dating a poem-boy who hates American women, but those scenes actually aren't so funny or interesting (a lack of story?).

Phoebe doesn't have any major role in this episode, I wish she had a bigger role. Ross's jealousy goes to extreme measures, and it's quite funny, but I just feel like I've already seen this. Chandler also doesn't have such a big role, but he fills the blanks in the episodes very good. And Joey needs to dance for a musical, but he doesn't know how to dance, although he stated that he knows in his resume. I guess those are a little better scenes.