Friends

The One with All the Poker

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 02, 1995 on NBC

• Very awkward episode.

Friends was doing very well in the first season until this episode.

Sure it was funny and with a good story line but the competition between Ross and Rachel and how serious it became was very wierd and Rachel's urge to win the game was very surprising.

It did show show some character development but still not that good.

The lines were funny at a certain level although not that good at others.

The plot was moving sort of slow.

I love friends but this episode was below expectations.

Although the interevention of the old poker pro was a very funny thing.

B- I am sad to give a friends episode this grade.
  • Ross and Rachel play poker. Even at this early stage they were being shoved down our throats...

3.8
    This episode is a fine example of what I've always felt was the major fault that kept this show from being wonderful. It claims to be about six friends, treated as equals on the show, but in reality it's not and it never has been. This episode is just one example out of many.

In this episode we see the gang playing poker. Or, rather, we see Ross and Rachel playing poker. None of the others are ever seen really raising the stakes and going two on two. Only Ross and Rachel. The episode is ABOUT Ross and Rachel. And so has the whole show been, from day one. I for one never favoured this couple, and one of the reasons were that the two characters were so blatantly pushed forward and shoved down our throats. I liked the balance they had in the episodes were they were all equal, all six of them.

Sure this episode has some wonderful moments. Chandler's line about how "the fifth dentist caved and now they're all reccomending Trident" is one of the show's best! And yes, Chandler gets his screentime, as do Phoebe, Monica and Joey. But there's a difference in screentime and plot time. This episode clearly isn't about these four, and far too many episodes are not. They have to stand back to be overshadowed by Ross and Rachel. For Pete's sake, even when Chandler and Monica were getting married they had to step back to Ross and Rachel (first in Vegas, then with the pregnancy storyline).

This episode could have been really good. Instead it's just good. For someone not interested in the R&R storyline it is actually rather boring at times; I couldn't care less about their banter. Of course there are those who do, and you can't care for all the storylines. But I've always been bugged by how four characters claimed to be equal to R&R have to step back.

Not an episode I view over and over again.
  • Awesome.

Tired of being referred to by customers as "Excuse me," Rachel interviews for a job as an assistant buyer at Saks Fifth Avenue. She also sees another side of the usually docile Ross when the girls face the boys during a not-so-friendly game of poker. I love the start - so good.One of my favourite episode in season one, I love the way all of the characters are in this one, especially Ross and Rachel. I love poker, I love this episode, the way the girls and boys are in this episode - god I jsut love it. I also love everybodys sarcasm. Teh ending is legendary too.
  • very funny

Tired of being referred to by customers as "Excuse me," Rachel interviews for a job as an assistant buyer at Saks Fifth Avenue. The girls take on the boys in a game of poker unable to win they play once more where we see a different side of Ross as he toughens up but not towards Rachel of course all he wants is to make her happy and aftwer Rachel finds out she hasnt got the job he quickly finds a way to put a smile back on her face awwww.
  • The girls want to be involved with the guys weekly poker game. This is a classic eppie that everyone needs to see.

This episode has and always will be one of my favorites. The only way to discribe is just pure classic. The interaction amoungst the characters is great. I think it really shows there friendship and the love they have between them. This also builds up on the Ross's love for Rachel, what he will do for her just to make her smile. This only gives you hope for the couple and wish Rachel wasn't so dumb. This a great eppie everyone should see and it's a great one to have in your collection and a favorite of every fan.
  • Ross and Rachel! And Marcel!

I really adore this episode, if not just because of Marcel, my favorite character. It really is a classic. I love the poker scenes, and the girls trying to play. It was so true and great. I also love when they have Monica's aunt teach them! She's hilarious! Plus Marcel being a bad boy and always playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," and getting mad at Ross. Plus the scene at the end, after Rachel gets bad news about the job, and Ross letting her win, awwww!!! If you didn't think they needed to be together by then, well then Wow! Amazing Episode!
  • Another great installment

Rachel is exhausted about the fact that she is known as the women for excuse me so she decides to put in a interview to get a job as an assistant buyer at Saks Fifth Avenue. The guys play poker but don't let the girls play because they don't know how and it would just be easier if they didn't have them play. The girls fed up at this call in Monica's aunt to help them learn the game of poker. The guys finally let them play and its down to Ross and Rachel and Ross lets Rachel win the poker hand.
  • A great episode for poker fans like me.

This Episode is a great episode since i am a big friends fan and poker fan.In this episode Rachel is Tired of her job as a Waitress so she interviews for another job but most of the episode is about the girls (Phoebe , Monica and Rachel) wanting to play poker with the guys (Joey , Chandler and Ross) when the boys talk about playing poker without the girls and Rachel gets a call finding out she did not get the job so she bets big in the poker game and wins.So watch this episode if you loves friends and poker.
  • One of the best in the season

The One With All The Poker is one the best episodes in Seson 1, and it has some great one liners. When Rachel is tired of her boring, underpaid and under fulfilling job at Central Perk as a waitress, she decides to try out for a position at Saks 5th Avenue. However her lack of experience and her bad resume combined with a load of errors means that she can't get to the job. Then there's also the poker, the guys are plying poker and the girls decide that next time, they want to be in on the fun. The first time they do absolutley awfully, but, then Monica's Aunt Iris teaches them the tricks of the trade.
  • What a great episode for a first season. There's a lot of character development which every first season needs in their episodes.

Anybody who's a Friends fan can testify that whenever an episodes has all 6 of them together you know it's going to be a great episode. For a first season episode there's a lot of character developement within the game. You get your first knowledge that Monica is very competitive. You get to see how Ross handles a situation with the woman he loves. And you get the perspective of the Guys vs. Girls which is always a classic duel. This is by far my favorite episode of season 1.
  • great

Tired of being referred to by customers as "Excuse me," Rachel interviews for a job as an assistant buyer at Saks Fifth Avenue. She also sees another side of the usually docile Ross when the girls face the boys during a not-so-friendly game of poker. This is my second favourite episode of season one of Friends it was really funny when they play poker, it's funny because when you play poker it gets like this you get angry when you loose just like Ross,everyone was great in this episode. For those people who say season one is the worst season watch this and I garentee you will change your mind.
  • "I fold like a cheap hooker who got hit in the stomach by a fat guy with sores on his face. Oh, I'm out" -Joey

• The only reason why I call it a special episode is because it is the first Friends episode I've ever watched! LOL It was June of '95 and they were showing reruns after the season ended and this one was the one they aired.

For the episode, they had good lines in here - for example when Rachel accidentally types in the word "compuper" instead of "computer" in her resume, which is something that everyone experiences - basic human error. It was also funny how Ross was acting like a big shot during the poker games, which turned Rachel off instead of how Ross wanted her to react. I wonder what hand he hand at the end when Joey and Chandler lunge for his cards! LOL

This episode is another great example of the writing of the show, and how the first season really was one of the best beginnings of any comedy show.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! 2nd or best upto yet! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! 2nd or best upto yet!
  • This is a great episode!

I love the idea that six friends sit together and play poker, that is just wonderful and should be remarkable.
  • Poker Face.

This was one of the best episodes in season one, it was absolutely flawless. I forgot all bout this episode at first, but it is really good. Rachel wants to be an assistant buyer but doesn't get the job. This episode by the way was also really suspenseful for me. Rachel & Ross going all in. Ross pretending like he had bad cards to let Rachel win. That was so nice of him, yet again, we see Monica get competitive, I like the running gag with the Pictionary incident. The ending credits were hilarious. Everyone ducked an covered. An amazing episode.
  • "Well, I have got your money, and you'll never see it, and your fly's still open... Ha I made you looook!"

THis is another very funny episode.

The guys try to play poker with the girls but they don't know how to play so they invite Monica's aunt over to come teach them.

Rachel is tierd of working at Central Perk and sends out her resemue to everyone and anything to try and get a new job. She gets an interview at Saks Fifth Ave and thinks that everything went well but she ends up not getting the job. While playing a game of poker Rachel raises the stakes after loosing the job and ends up beating Ross over a very large hand.
  • ONE OF THE BEST!!

this is another great episode, i loved it, this episode is when the boys think that girls can't play poker but eventually the girls learn and become very good at it. in the final game, it goes head to head between ross and rachel who have been competitive the whole night. the winner ends up being rachel but ross has the better hand but let rachel win because he had feelings for her and wanted to see how happy she gets it. he ends up losing alot of money but it all seemed worth it in the end, i love this episode.
  • wikid episode!t

his episode the group gets together to play poker together and rivalries between the guys and girls are etched. The girls seeks professional help from a poker expert, Monica's aunt, but this stil doesn't help that much! In the end it all goes down to Ross and Rachel, the rest have all caved and backed down, Rachel is adament to bring home the victory for the girls! In the end Ross backs down aswel just to see Rachel have a smile on her face. MY favourite quote from this episode was:

Phoebe: Hey, you know what I just realised? 'Joker' is 'poker' with a 'J'. Coincidence?
    Chandler: Hey, that's 'joincidence' with a 'C'.
  • Put those six together (even when only playing poker), and you\'ve got a perfect episode. One of the best ever.

This episode was one of the best in \'Friends\', ever. It showed us how great those six friends are together. Many series need guest stars all the time, or big plots, but \'Friends\' never did, even in the first season. Simple conversation between six good friends were already hilarious.

Rachel and Ross were already perfect together, Joey and Phoebe were so ridiculous it was hilarious, and Chandler making fun of Monica about her problems when losing was SO, but SO funny.

And this has one of the best lines ever.
    Phoebe: Joker is poker with a J. Coincidence?
    Chandler: Oh! That\'s Joincidence with a C!

And by the way, if you\'ve never seen this episode on DVD, do. Because the scene of Ross, Chandler and Joey dancing to the sound of \'The Lion Sleeps Tonight\' is one of the funniest things in 10 years of \'Friends\'.
  • Simply Classic

Watch it and you'll understand why I have marked so highly.
  • This has to be one of the best episodes of the season and of all the seasons. I couldn't believe it when the chapter ended, Chandler was the best on this episode, he did 2 very fantastic jokes about Rachel, really oustanding, and the writers did a terrifi

This has to be one of the best episodes of the season and of all the seasons. I couldn't believe it when the chapter ended, Chandler was the best on this episode, he did 2 very fantastic jokes about Rachel, really oustanding, and the writers did a terrific job writting.
  • The girls challenge the boys to a series of Poker show-downs, insisting that just because they are women does not mean they can not play a "man's game." Also, Rachel starts looking for a job other than waitress.

This is an excellent installment of Friends. It's plot departs a bit from the usual set-up of previous episodes as not much happens with a lot of sub-plotting. The only true sub-plot is the very funny bit where Ross' monkey, Marcel, goes to the CD player and plays the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" while dancing to it. And when Ross turns the music off, Marcel stomps off to the bedroom, slamming the door like an angry child punished by a parent. Hilarious. But the rest of the show is devoted to the poker-showdown that ultimately pits the girls against the guys. Rachel sends her resumes out for a job and gets an interview with Sak's, but they don't hire her. As a result, she enters the poker game with a vendetta, and her and Ross have a showdown of sorts. This episode has all the elements of humor but also parts can make you cry.
  • This episode would have to be one of the funniest in the season and in the series. Chandler mainly uses his jokes in this episode, especially when Rachel asks guess what, and Chandler makes the joke of the Trident thing. This is one of the funniest episod

This episode would have to be one of the funniest in the season and in the series. Chandler mainly uses his jokes in this episode, especially when Rachel asks guess what, and Chandler makes the joke of the Trident thing. This is one of the funniest episodes ever on TV.
  • Poker!

Excellent episode! What an amazing demonstration of acting. I have never been a Friends true fan, but I really enjoyed watching this episode.

This one is very special because you have the guys, with their macho attitude of not letting the girls play with them, and on the other side you have the girls trying to convince the guys to let them play, so they can fit in.
    And everything comes down to Rachel and Ross. She learns to play and finally wins. Or Ross lets her win, he´s so in love with her that all he wants is to see her smile.

The script is superb. Every line, every answer is wownderful.

LG.