Friends

The One with All the Resolutions

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 07, 1999 on NBC

• Rachel finds out.

Another great episode brought to you by Friends. I love how they change the plot for the holidays every year and pull it off. This year, he gang is having new years resolutions that they plan to keep. Ross evens throws a few betting. I like how this episode revolved around the WHOLE gang. Phoebe wants to be a pilot. Ross wants to try something new everyday. The pants thing wasn't such a good idea. Chandler has to stop making jokes. Monica decides she will be in more pictures with her friends. I forgot what Joey's was. Anyways this episode is amazing because Rachel finds out about Monica & Chandler. Sort of a cliffhanger, cause she doesn't really thoroughly talk about it. So much for stopping the gossiping. Can't wait for the next episode.
  • ITS MAKING A PASTE MAN!!

This is one of my favorite episodes. The gang decides to make New Years revolutions. Rachel decides to stop gossiping, Joey wants to learn guitar [taught by Phoebe],Monica decides to be less obsessed with keeping the house neat, Chandler tries to not make fun of his friends, and Ross decides to do something new everyday. Later in the week Ross makes a date and buys leather pants to wear on it. Well Ross starts to sweat in the pants and decides to go in the bathroom and cool off. well he cannot get the pants back up once he gets them off and calls Joey for help. If i explain the scene it will ruin it for you. Find that episode and watch it! you will not be sorry!
  • The gang makes New Year Resolutions.

This whole episode is hilarious. Basically, everyone makes New Year's Resolutions, but of course can't follow through with them. Pheobe teaches Joey to play guitar but of course it is funny because of the fact that she won't actually let Joey touch a guitar. Rachel does pretty well with keeping her resolution of not gossiping but it is so funny when she finally finds out about Monica and Chandler dating. Her finding out was definitely a funny scene. Of course, you can't forget about Ross wearing the leather pants. The stuff that happens to him is hilarious. It is the best part of the episode and I can watch that scene over and over again. Definitely an episode to watch!
  • ...

A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end. A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end. A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end.
  • Here we go! 1999! The year of Joey! - Joey

It's New Year's Eve and all the Friends make their resolutions. Ross' resolution is to try something new every day. Phoebe's is to pilot a commercial jet which Chandler finds really funny so as usual he makes a joke about it. Then he makes his resolution to not make fun of his friends for an entire week. Joey says he would like to play guitar so that one of his skills on his resume will be true. Phoebe is happy to teach him.
    Next day at Central Perk Ross gets the phone number of a girl with the name Elizabeth Hornswoggle. This is really killing Chandler.
    Phoebe gives Joey his first guitar lesson but they argue about Phoebe's methode.
    Rachel overhears a conversation between Monica and Chandler and finds out their secret. To bad her resolution is to gossip less. The best parts of the episode was Ross with the leather pants in the bathroom and Chandler not being able to make jokes (it was a very painful episode for him).
  • As 1999 approaches, the group all make resolutions. Rachel vows on not gossiping until she finds out about Chandler and Monica.

WOW! I thought Joey was awesome in this episode! That was such a good idea he thought of so Chandler and Monica could kiss at midnight then he thought of the idea of Ross choosing Phoebe or Rachel. I know why he picked Phoebe because it would be to weird for him to kiss Rachel after they went out in the past. I love Ross' resolution the best because he wear those leather pants and he pulls them down because he is hot and he can't put them back on so he listens to Joey and makes a big mess and that was when he was on his date!
  • It's all about the funny...

Joey learning how to play a guitar from Phoebe, Rachel gossips, Chandler trying not to make fun of his friends for a week, Ross wearing leather pants and Elizabeth Hornswoggle! That... that is funny!! This epidode is a very good show to lift spirits. It really cheers me up. I was having a bad day and this show perked me up an got me on and going again. I am surprised that Chandler tried his very best not to make any sarcastic comments on his friends, and Ross attempting to wear his shrunk leather pants in his date's house! That was very exciting and interesting! Kudos to the writers!
  • Funny, but a lot of stuff was far fetched.

5.4
    I think the premise of this episode was really good; the Friends making new year resolutions and trying to stick with them. Some of them were really good, while some of them seemed like they just couldn't come up with anything better.

Rachel's was good. Anything that challanges the character is good, and this one was not only challenging but well balanced. She got a few funny lines that didn't require any build up, then it worked its way into the storyline of her finding out about Monica and Chandler.

Monica's was bad. Taking pictures? What's that supposed to be good for, they didn't make any use out of it.

Phoebe's was bad. It did feel like Phoebe, but it also felt like a waste of plotspace. It would have been funnier if her resolution had had some inpact on her storyline with Joey.

Joey's was good. I like seeing him and Phoebe together, I was never a fan of the idea of them getting together romantically, but as friends they have great chemistry. And one of the funniest scenes of the episode is when they argue about her teaching methods.

Chandler's was great. It was really funny to see him fighting to control himself, and the others doing their best to tease him. Classic Friends.

Ross' was good. The bit about the pants wasn't so entertaining, but the general idea of trying something new every day was pretty good.

This episode is also where Rachel finds out about Monica and Chandler. I think it was good that someone found out at this point. Having only Joey know was a real stroke of genious; it makes the storyline work better and it's interesting that they put Joey in the role of being in the know. But that still leaves three Friends who don't know about it, and if they had all figured it out at the same time it would have been a bit too dramatic. So having Rachel find out about it at this point worked really well.

How they handled her finding out about it had some major faults though. First of all I don't see why she even freaked out at Monica calling Chandler "mister big" when it sounded very much like she was saying "mister Bing". Second she screamed loudly before hanging up the phone, even if Monica didn't hear her on the line she would have heard her from her bedroom. Plus both Monica and Chandler would have noticed that someone picked up the phone, you hear that quite clearly after all. And also, Joey and Rachel discuss it in very loud voices with Ross in the next room. I thought they were going to use that, have the scene end with Joey and Rachel leaving the apartment and Ross coming out into the living room with a shocked look on his face. But they chose just to ignore it.

Overall, funny episode but with some major plotholes.