Friends

The One with George Stephanopoulos

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 13, 1994 on NBC

• The reason why I watch the show.

Seeing every episode of this show multiple times, there are very few that I dislike. Of course, there are ones that stand out far above the rest. TOW George Stephanopoulos is, in my opinion, the episode in which everything in the show seems to come together. The story is one of my all-time favorites. Chandler and Joey invite Ross to a New York Rangers game. Ross is distraught because it's the anniversary of the first time he slept with Carol, his now ex wife. Rachel's friends come to the Central Perk and try to get her to come back home. The girls decide to just lay back, drink, and tell some stories.
    While at the game, Ross is hit in the nose with a hockey puck, and the guys go to the emergency room. While there, Joey and Chandler learn that Ross' first time with Carol was in fact his first time with any girl. When the guys go back to the appartment, it is clear that all of Rachel's thoughts about going home are gone, and the group is now complete.
  • This is the episode that sealed the fate for Friends to be a hit. The hockey game incident and the subsequent trip to the emergency room afterward are pure genious. Matthew Perry's character Chandler really stands out in this episode.

This episode really only has two main points. One, the girls have a sleep-over and order pizza. Only the pizza delivery kid messes up the order and gives them the wrong pizza. Meanwhile their pizza is sent across the street to George Stephanopoulos, the guy all 3 girls have a crush on, especially Phoebe & Monica. They spend the rest of the evening by the window, staring out it with binoculars to get a view of George. And they get disappointed when they find out he is on a date. But that soon changes when he walks around naked. Meanwhile the guys are at a hockey game and Ross gets hit in the head with the puck. He goes to the emergency room and the check-in nurse is literally the nurse from Hell. It is the most hilarious moment in Season 1, especially when Chandler goes head to head with her.
  • This is what friends is about!(SPOILER)

I like this episode very much, since it represents all I like in the first seasons of FRIENDS. Yes, we don't have a major lovestory featured, but I think the essence of the show is in here. I think that it's all about realism. The guys are hanging out at a hockey game and end up in the hospital (hospital aside a very classic "guy night") while the girls are having their own girl night, drinking, talking about men - in the uncut version even about the guys- and so on. We finally see the characters getting together and growing their friendship. And that's what I like.
  • Ross is in a crisis because he doesn't know how to spend a certain anniversary, Rachel is in a crisis because she realises that starting over is even harder when you compare yourself to others, and the rest of the gang is there to help.

This episode is where FRIENDS becomes what it is: A show with great storylines, fantastic humor and a lot of compassion. "The One With George Stephanopoulos" has it all, and even more.

Ross' vulnerability after his divorce reaches a new level when he realises that it's a special anniversary for him, one that makes it all the more clear to him that he has inevidently lost his wife to another woman. Even though the three previous episodes have already foreshadowed the growing relationship between Ross and Rachel, it is important to the show to make it obvious how much Ross loved his first wife Carol, and that he cannot just go back to normal after having his heart broken by the first woman who actually loved him back. This special day in Ross' life also shows how important the three guys are for each other: even if they constantly keep joking, they're there when you need them. Chandler and Joey may act annoyed by Ross' behaviour sometimes, but they're there for him when he needs them, taking him to a sports game to provide some distraction. The storyline that follows is a FRIENDS classic too, and very funny even though it's clear that at first it makes Ross' day even worse when he's hit by the hockey puck.

On the other hand, there's Rachel who realises that starting over is harder than it seems, especially when her spoiled childhood/college friends show up, demonstrating how they seem to have everything Rachel doesn't. Her crisis results in a slumber party night with the girls, with lots of alcohol, games, cookies, pizza, and leering at a hot politician. I can really recommend searching for George Stephanopoulos pictures on Google, by the way. Back to the slumber party: it's what any girl needs once in a while. Friends, legal drugs and a shoulder to cry on, with people who get what you're going through.

I think it's very smart to divide the FRIENDS into two groups in this episode, because it adds to the individual friendships among the group. In the end, they're all reunited, playing Twister and having fun together, just like a family - only better. As Rachel says at the very end: "I'm fine. I've got magic beans." They all do.
  • awesome

The girls spy on the politician across the street. While teh boys go to a New York Rangers match. This episode is one of my favourites but surprisingly alot of Friends fans think its average, the girls where great when the were spying on the man and when the pillow fell to the street was just laugh out load funny, the boys story was just as good, I love the part were Chandler is talking to Dorris and he turns around she is looking at him it was so funny when he jumped out of his skin, all in all this episode is one of my all time favourites of the show.
  • Joey: Man. Can you believe he's only had sex with one woman? Chandler: I think it's great. You know, it's sweet. It's romantic. Joey: Really? Chandler: No, you kidding? The guy is a freak.

The girls spy on the sexy politician across the street(George Stephanopoulos), while the boys go to a hockey game. What can I say about this episode? I mean it is awesome, every episode of "Friends" is awesome, but when I have re-watched "Friends" season one, this one isn't one of the best. Still very, very funny. And once again some awesome line and scenes in this episode. I feel sorry for Ross in this episode, god bless him. I thought when the three girl are spying on the guy across the street is funny too. All in all another awesome episode from "Friends".
  • October 20th.

A day sequence, on the day of October 20th, the girls have a slumber party & the guys go to a hockey game. The episode starts out as when Rachel gets her paycheck & her friends from back home who are successful come to visit & now Rachel feels bad, so Monica & Phoebe throw a slumber party and while they are there (my favorite part) they talk about Ross, Joey & Chandler and then it shows a scene of them doing quite the opposite. While they are spying on George S. I like how Rachel is sobbing the whole time & especially the end when she realizes she is fine where she's at & that's why it is a classic, the subplot at the hockey game, October 20th is actually the day Ross & Carol had their first time & it was his first time too, so Ross is down in the dumps the entire time. And he gets more down in the dumps when the puck hits his mouth & he has to go to the hospital. That lady at the counter was hysterical! Again a series classic!
  • Excellent episode that's gonna make you laugh so hard!

In this episode, in the very begining of the first season, we can see Rachel, Phoebe and Monica having a girl's night and drinking for not having a plan in life... also they order pizza but they got the wrong one, the one that belongs to neighbour they spy through the window- George S. Personally I love the part where cushion fell from the balcony and later a stranger comes up and brings it back to Rachel:).
    On the other hand we have Ross remembering Carol and how that is the date when they 7 years ago consummated their physical relationship:) for the first time. Joey and Chandler are taking him to the game but Ross keeps to annoy them with remembernig stuff from that night...
    "ROSS: Uh-oh.
    CHANDLER: What? There was ice there that night with Carol? Plastic seats? Four thousand angry Pittsburgh fans?
    ROSS: No, actually I was just saying it looks like we're not sitting together. But now you mention it, there was ice there that night... It was the first frost..."
    The part in the hospital... just great, I loved the part with that nurse... holarious... great episode!
  • Rachel Gets Her First Paycheck And Hosts A Slumber Party,Ross Mourns Losing His Virginity To Carol,And Monica Receives George Stephanopoulos's Pizza By Mistake, And Take The Chance To Spy On Him.

Rachel Gets Her First Paycheck, And Hosts A Slumber Party, Monica Receives George Stephanopoulos's Pizza By Mistake And Uses The Chance To Spy On Him.
    Ross Mourns Losing His Virginity To Carol For The First Time, Chandler & Joey Take Him To A Hockey Game, Only For Ross To Be Hit On The Nose By A Puck And Taken To Hospital!
    Rachel Meeting Her School Friends Again Was Just Sooo Funny! It Really Made Me LOL!!
    " Look,Look I Have Elbows" [Phoebe & Monica Scream] Ross Getting Hit By The Puck Was Pretty Funny Too, Not To Mention OUCH! Really Love This Episode!!
  • random sleep over. amazing.

I love how they have a sleep over, just the girls. and they do all the really girly things. with twister, and the pajamas, and cookie dough. haha, it was so great, i kinda wish i actually did that but my sleep overs are never that girly. i would LOVE to see the guys have a sleep over. ross chandler and joey just hanging out. haha itd be really funny. or even better all six of them having a sleep over. haha. them doing girly stuff. like when ross and josy.. or chandler i think it was, that had a face mask cause he had an "oily T zone" =D
  • The girls spy on the sexy politician across the street. (DVD Summary)

This is the first time in the Friends series that the boys and girls are purposefully separated. The boys bond over a hockey game, while the girls bond over a sleepover. Although the premise is predictable, the writers did an excellent job of adding original material, such as Ross mourning his first time with Carol and the girls receiving George Stephanopoulos's pizza. I loved the foreshadowing on the balcony scene when the girls each talked about the male friend they were eventually going to be paired with. Even though the episode feels slightly out of sync, like almost all first season episodes, it is a classic I watch whenever I can.
  • Great!! funny!!

this episode is great, even though Rachel is very upset in this episode, it turns out great, she ends up having a great night talking with her friends MOnica and Phoebe while watching and spying on a famous guy across the street who is with another girl, Ross also gets hit with a puck in this episode and i think that it's halarious the way they act in the emergency room. This is one of my fav episodes in the first season, loved it to bits and recommend it to everyone and the acting and emotions were terrific in this episode.
  • i LOVED this episode!

This episode was the best so far. We fully got to see how special the freinds really are and how they bond with each other. Like rachel said at the end 'she's got magic beans' I love how all the girls have slumber party and do all the things they love to do : drink, eat cookie dough, and drool at the neighbour across the street!

The guys on the other hand go to a hockey game so Ross can get over the anniversary of him having sex with Carol for the first time! Only to find out it was his first time ever!
  • very well episodes

Ross, upset about it being the anniversary of his first time with Carol, goes to a hockey game with Chandler and Joey and gets a puck in the face; they end up at the hospital, where Ross reveals that Carol is the only woman he's even been intimate with. Rachel gets a visit from her old friends, which depresses her about her life. The women have a slumber party, which isn't very fun until they spy on George Stephanopoulos.
  • Joey: Hey, that woman's got an ass like Carol's! What? Thought we were trying to find stuff.

• What a great episode!

The One With George Stephonopolous is such a great episode... One of the first and one of the best showing the drunk side of the girls and the some what geeky side of Ross showing taht he had only slept with one woman. It's just such a funny and great episode... and my favouriet wuote from it would have had to have been Phoebe talking about operation at the slumber party "I've lost the tweesers, but we can still prep the guy!" makes me laugh every time! The other great thing about this episode its the fact that we see Rachels old friends which makes yioiu think "God i'm glad she's not still like that!"
  • Funny

This is the 4th episode of friends, and the 4th episode of the first season. In this episode, the main storylines are; Rachel gets her first paycheck, shes shocked that the tax people take away her money but the rest of the gang assure her that its not that bad. Monica, Rachel and Phoebe have a slumber party at their apartment where George Stephanopolous's pizza gets delivered to their apartment by mistake. Ross mourns the anniversary of loss of his virginity to Carol, his lesbian ex-wife and the only woman he ever slept with. Chandler and joey don't know this, and they take him to hockey where he gets hit with the puck. Two memorable quotes - Ross: You know what? I better pass on the game. I think I'm just gonna go home and think about my ex-wife and her lesbian lover. Joey: To hell with hockey! Let's all do that! Chandler: What? What? What is it? That she left you? That she likes women? That she left you for another woman that likes women? Ross: A little louder, okay? I think there's a man on the twelfth floor--in a COMA--who didn't hear you.
  • Loved This Episode.

The girls decide to have a girls night and when they order a pizza, they receive the wrong one, and then spy on the sexy politician across the street, who ordered it.Meanwhile, Joey and Chandler take Ross to an ice hockey game to cheer him up, but end up at an hospital when Ross gets injured on his nose with a puck. This episode was had me laughing for hours when Chandler was saying to the nurse "we had our ups and but we can ork it out", loved it and when the pillow falls off the terrace and the man paasses it back at the end was brilliant.
  • "We've got George Stephanopoulos's pizza!"

The guys have an extra ticket to the Rangers hockey game and invite Ross. On the way to the game everything seems to remind him of anniversary of losing his virginity to Carol. WHile at the game Ross is hit in the face with a hockey puck and has to be takin to the ER. Rachel gets her first paycheck and realzes she doesn't make crap and morns not having any money. The girls have a slumber party at Monica's and mistakly get George Stephanopoulos's pizza delivered to them. They sit out on the balcony drinking an alcholic drink spying on George.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • Wrong pizza deliveries and hockey games...

I love this episode, it is one of the best from the first season! "We have elbows, AHH!!" :) I especially like it because it is when Rachel realizes that she is going to be fine and happy on her own without her daddy's money. First she has to depress Monica and Phoebe though, but then they start spying on George and talking about guys. The guy's storyline is pretty funny too. I love Chandler and the nurse, it's too funny. They were actually pretty realistic with all the waiting too... Anyway, this is a really great episode, I could watch it again and again and I have... :)
  • The gals spy on George and the guys have a hockey adventure.

As the little description says, this kind of storyline is exactly why I watch "Friends". While I didn't particularly care for the hockey plot, the gals chatting on Monica's balcony is the type of dialogue that kept me tuning in. The three ladies all divulging secrets to each other let us know so much more information about the gang. A prime example:

RACHEL: Okay, okay, okay, I got one! The valentine Tommy Rollerson left in your locker was really from me.

MONICA: Excuse me?!

RACHEL: Hello? Like he was really gonna send you one? (to Pheebs)) She was a big girl!

For more useless trivia about the gang, I very strongly recommend season four's "The One with the Embryos"
  • Awesome.

• A guy delivers a pizza for George Stephanopoulos who lives across the street to them, they decide to peek at the him with their binoculars. Chandler and Joey take Ross, who is upset about the nightso they go to to a hockey game.

The guys go to a hockey game while the girls go peeking for George Stephanopoulos their negighbor across the street. Ross is upset over the date. It's good watch it. Nothing much to say. Just watch it. You'll like it so watch it . Are you watching it now? You should be watching it now . Go watch it you will enjoy Friends. Oh and Ross is upset about Carol and thats why . Someone gets hurt at the hockey game but I forget who it is . Watch it now . You will enjoy it so don't forget .
  • With the classic qoute 'Hey that's not for you b!tch!'

When a pizza guy accidentally delivers a pizza meant for George Stephanopoulos - who lives across the street to the female friends, the women decide to peek at the towel-clad former White House advisor with their binoculars. Meanwhile, Chandler and Joey take Ross, who is mourning the night he lost his virginity to Carol, to a hockey game.

The first slumber party between the girls I think blossoms the acting skills not only as characters but as Friends.
  • Com'on Brilliant episode-and only the 4th one.

I have always loved freinds.I really love it.It's so funny.When I had bought season 1 I watched this episode and I thought it was good.Then i saw it again on TV.I thought WOW!This is even better than I first thought.It was really funny.Ross is all sad because it was his anniversery of when he first had sex with Carol.The guys are getting really sick of him and so they take him to the hockey game.They try to cheer him up but it doesn't really work.Anyway Ross then gets hit in the face with the puck and has to go to the emergency room.They are waiting around in the waiting room and Joey starts playing with the puk.He pretends it's hitting him in the face.Its so funny.And in the end we find out Ross has only been with one woman.The Guys all make fun of him.Chandler-"The Guy's A freak".
    Anyway I loved this episode it was a classic.
  • This episode has a really good plot that will keep you glued to the tv

In this episode Chandler and Joey take Ross to a hockey match to make him forget about his first time having sex with his girlfreind. While that happens Rachel learns that her life in NYC with Monica aint that fun wich makes her mourn about the life she use to have. Overall i would say that this episode has a great plot and lots of side splitting jokes. The only downside to the episode was the part where Rachel kept talking about her boring life in NYC. But again another great episode by the gang at NYC. Really Funny lol.
  • awesome

7.2
    When a pizza guy accidentally delivers a pizza meant for George Stephanopoulos who lives across the street from monica's, the women decide to spy on the towel-clad former White House advisor with their binoculars whilst drinking and talking about men and relationships it really doesnt get much better. Meanwhile, Chandler and Joey take Ross, who is mourning the night he lost his virginity to Carol, to a hockey game which does not go well.
  • The girls spy the former White House Advisor George Stephanopoulos.

7.1
    Joey and Chandler win three tickets to a hockey game, so they decide to bring Ross too. The only problem is that the game is in the same day that Ross slept with Carol for the first time. They go,but in the middle of the middle of the game,a hockey ball is shoot at Ross' nose. While that, Rachel gets depressed when she is at the end of the barrel while her former friends are getting higher in the life, and the other girls try to cheer her. When a pizza meant for George Stephanopoulos arrive in Monica's apartment, the girls decide to spy him with binoculars.