Friends

The One with Ross's Inappropriate Song

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2002 on NBC

• funny

Ross makes Emma laugh by singing Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back." and rachael is against the idea untill she realises it does actully work. Joey and Chandler, viewing Richard's old apartment, discover what they think is a tape of Richard having sex with Monica but will they or wont they watch it. Phoebe goes to dinner with Mike and his very posh and rich parents parents, where they encourage him to date somebody else. He tells them he loves Phoebe though and the two reconcile their love and leave the house together. in the end ross and rachael sing the song to emma but then the friends walk in.
  • Unbelievably funny

Ross makes Emma laugh by singing Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back" which soon catches on when Rachel's futile attempts to make Emma laugh by 'rapping' fall flat. Joey and Chandler, viewing Richard's old apartment, discover what they think is a tape of Richard having sex with Monica so Chandler wonders whether he should watch it only for Monica to walk in. But the best storyline of this episode is Phoebe going to dinner with Mike and his parents, where she speaks in a posh accent because they're from Up-State so Mike encourages her to be herself...only she becomes to much herself so they encourage him to date somebody else. He tells them he loves Phoebe and she says she loves him and they leave - after insulting his parents' guests, Tom and Sue, who by the way are incredibly boring.
  • Possibly one of the best episodes of Friends ever!

I love this episode! This is just so funny, some of the moments in this episode are just priceless!
    Ross makes Emma laugh by singing "Baby Got Back" and it was especially funny to see him and Rachel singing it to her together in the end of the episode.
    Meanwhile, Phoebe was introduced to Mike's parents, which was also great. Nothing went as planned and so there were some pretty great moments.
    The best part of the episode, however, involved Richard's sex tape, which Joey and Chandler found at his apartment.
    I think the part where Joey is trying to stop Chandler and Monica from watching the tape, is one of the funniest Friends moments ever!
    So overall, it was a very funny and memorable episode that shouldn't be missed.
  • Hilarious!

Ross finally gets Emma to laugh, but only by using an inappropriate song. When Rachel finds out, her brain pretty much explodes.

Joey and Chandler discover a tape of what they think is of Monica and Pete in his old apartment, and are dying to watch it!

Phoebe is over at Mike's apartment to meet his parents, but sort of sets a wrong first impression. So then, she decides that she has screwed up and decides to leave, but Mike stops her and tells everyone there he loves her.

This episode is a really, really funny one. At the end of the episode, you get to see Rachel and Ross sing 'Baby Got Back' to Emma, but once they turn around, the rest of the gang is watching them with faces that say, 'What the hell are you two doing.'
  • Ross and Rachel resort to offensive rap to get Emma to laugh...

I often re enact this for my nieces to get them to laugh. It is hilarious when Rachel says to Ross, "You sang to our baby daughter a song about a guy who likes to have sex with women with giant asses." At one point, he replies, "Please don't take her away from me." The beginning is also funny because he tells Emma that no matter what Rachel says, that they really were on a break. The ending is hilarious also because Ross and Rachel are having fun singing the song together and dancing; it's one of my favorite parts of any episode ever. This is the part I do for my nieces. I can't even comment on any of the other characters of this episode because I am so caught up on the "Baby Got Back" part!
  • Emma laughs.

Great episode. Ross makes Emma sing by the singing I like big butts song. Ah that is a great song! Phoebe goes to meet Mike's parents which doesn't go well. I can't believe what she wore!! She so should of picked a dress! What the hell were Rachel and Monica thinking. Phoebe does make it more interesting because everyone was boring except her and Mike. I loved how Mike said he loved Phoebe and Phoebe loved Mike. The end was the best!! Ross and Rachel doing that song and the rest of the gang walks in. Rachel kept doing it when Ross stopped.
  • Phoebe meets Mike's parents and she and Mike realize that they love each other. Meanwhile, Ross and Rachel get Emma to laugh by singing an inappropriate song and Joey and Chandler find a sex tape with Monica's name on it.

This is really Phoebe's episode. She's in her first serious relationship and meets a guys parent's for the first time which is a big deal. The events that take place during the dinner are classic Phoebe. It's kind of ridiculous (where did that voice come from? And she certainly could have come up with some better things to share about her childhood than the fact that a pimp spit in her mouth.) But overall, it's a funny episode and really shows the a new side of Phoebe as she starts to settle down in a more normal relationship. Mike and Phoebe are great together and we can really see that Paul Rudd is a great addition to the cast.
    The other storylines were just filler. Ross makes Emma laugh by singing Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back." Inititally, Rachel doesn't approve, but eventually joins in. It's nice seeing Ross and Rachel interact with Emma as a family, but overall, it's pretty silly. But the chemistry between Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer is great as always and I love seeing them in action together.
    Joey decides that he'd like to buy an apartment so Monica mentions that Richard's apartment is for sale. Chandler and Joey go to check it out and find a sex tape with Monica's name on it. Again, this is just filler. Joey never even brings up buying an apartment after this. And when they watch the tape, wouldn't Chandler recognize that it wasn't his wife? A bit unrealistic, but a fun storyline! When looking at the big picture of the show, what stands out to me is that we really see Phoebe growing up.
  • Ross gets Emma to laugh for the first time, but it's because of the song "baby got back". Joey and Chandler find a tape labeled "Monica" in Richard's apartment. Phoebe meets Mike's parents for the first time.

This is a very good episode. I love the part about Emma only laughing to "Baby got back". Ross and Rachel tried a lot of other things to make her laugh but it's the only thing that works. It was hilarious when Rachel and Ross are singing it together and everybody else walks in.
    A classic joey moment was when he and Chandler find a tape with the word Monica on it, and he figures out it's of her and Richard having sex. Chandler gets very insecure about this.
    I also loved the part about Phoebe trying to impress Mike's parents. When this doesn't work, Mike tells his parents that he doesn't care whether or not they like her, because he loves her. I thought that was very sweet!
    Not the best "Friends" episode ever, but a very good one!