Friends

The One with Ross's Inappropriate Song

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2002 on NBC

• Phoebe meets Mike's parents and she and Mike realize that they love each other. Meanwhile, Ross and Rachel get Emma to laugh by singing an inappropriate song and Joey and Chandler find a sex tape with Monica's name on it.

This is really Phoebe's episode. She's in her first serious relationship and meets a guys parent's for the first time which is a big deal. The events that take place during the dinner are classic Phoebe. It's kind of ridiculous (where did that voice come from? And she certainly could have come up with some better things to share about her childhood than the fact that a pimp spit in her mouth.) But overall, it's a funny episode and really shows the a new side of Phoebe as she starts to settle down in a more normal relationship. Mike and Phoebe are great together and we can really see that Paul Rudd is a great addition to the cast.
    The other storylines were just filler. Ross makes Emma laugh by singing Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back." Inititally, Rachel doesn't approve, but eventually joins in. It's nice seeing Ross and Rachel interact with Emma as a family, but overall, it's pretty silly. But the chemistry between Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer is great as always and I love seeing them in action together.
    Joey decides that he'd like to buy an apartment so Monica mentions that Richard's apartment is for sale. Chandler and Joey go to check it out and find a sex tape with Monica's name on it. Again, this is just filler. Joey never even brings up buying an apartment after this. And when they watch the tape, wouldn't Chandler recognize that it wasn't his wife? A bit unrealistic, but a fun storyline! When looking at the big picture of the show, what stands out to me is that we really see Phoebe growing up.