Friends

The One with Ross's Wedding (1)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 07, 1998 on NBC

• Sitcoms have given us some terrific season finale cliffhangers. The stakes might not be as high as, say, THE WIRE but they're still good TV. No more so than "The One with Ross's Wedding".

"A sitcom?" you gasp. That's right, a sitcom! Sitcoms have given us some terrific season finale cliffhangers. The stakes might not be as high as, say, THE WIRE but they're still good TV. No more so than "The One with Ross's Wedding". All season, Ross had been preparing to marry his British love Emily. Yet, we all knew his heart still belonged to Rachel (and who could blame him? Did you see her haircut?) The whole gang flew out to jolly ol' London to partake in Ross's wedding. Things were going beautifully until Ross totally dropped the ball, saying this at the alter:

"I, Ross, take thee Rachel"

Not Rachel, Ross, Emily! You're marrying Emily! Ouch dude, ouch.

There's something cathartic about the shocked "ooooooooh" that rose through the studio audience. Maybe it was because we were doing the same thing at home. Was it that surprising? Well, not really. We all knew that somehow Ross and Rachel's relationship would stay in the forefront. Still, it was a clever twist. See, sitcoms can be good!