Friends

The One with the Ball

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 06, 1999 on NBC

• My Personal Favourite Episode

This episode is so funny. Rachel gets a cat with no fur for $1000 and then trys to sell it again, but ends up selling it to Gunther for $1500.

Gary tells Monica that he will move in with Phoebe and then Monica tells Phoebe and Chandler. Monica thinks it's great and Phoebe and Chandler think that it's fast. So Chandler talks to Gary and then convinces Chandler that it's a good idea. Phoebe still thinks its fast, but doesn't say 'no' because it makes him so sad, but she ends up moving in.

Ross and Joey toss a ball around for 2 and a half hours without realising it. Then Monica joins, then Chandler. They end up throwing it for about 10-12 hours.

Gary shoots a bird and Phoebe ends it with him. Feeling sad for Phoebe, who is sad, Joey throws the ball to Phoebe asking if she wants to play but she puts the ball down, breaking the record.

What I learned from this episode: Chandler is a Dropper
  • Below average filler

Season Five had so many great episodes, there was bound to be a clunker or two. TOW The Ball was definitely one of them. The chief storyline revolves around a game of catch with a ball between Joey and Ross that evolves into a "tense" game of how long they can continue without dropping it. The game eventually sucks in Chandler and Monica. This is the sort of stupid game that guys sometimes manufacture, and it was kind of cool to see the show pick up something like this. However, the comic possibilities of the situation were not explored in a particularly humorous way, and devolved into "competitive Monica" recycled bits. A secondary storyline with Rachel purchasing a hairless cat was sort of amusing, but barely. Finally, Phoebe and Gary move in together, but that gets torpedoed when Phoebe finds out that Gary shoots birds from his window. That twist was plain stupid and inexplicably lame. Definitely not a recommended episode.
  • Rachel buys a cat. Phoebe finds out that Gary is going to ask her to move in with her and trys to get Chandler to talk him out of it. Joey and Ross throw a ball around and later Monica joins it.

Interesting with the ball thing. So it was 10 hours or more? All I can say is holy crap! They good of get in the world records. Lol. I like those cats with no fur. They are cool and they don't look like another animal! If I was Phoebe and dating a hot guy like Gary I would move in with him because it doesn't seem that quick. I wish they didn't break up. I really like them together. Just because Gary shot a bird! Thats no reason to break up with a guy. I hate birds so I wouldn't care.
  • ...

A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end. A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end. A great episode, with a really interessting storyline and a good and funny cast. And like all episodes it has it's great wave in the storyline and a good cliff hanger at the end.
  • My Personal Favourite Episode

What I learned from this episode: Chandler is a Dropper
  • The cat, that isn't quite a cat.

Well this episode had me laughing through all of the Rachel scenes, the situations she puts herself in to is just a hoot! She buys a 100 dollar sphinx cat. My favorite part is when she is trying to sell the cat and every time she goes near it, she hisses at her. So that made rate of the episode go sky high. Another one of my favorite storyline is seeing Monica being competitive. She can turn something so simple in to a competition for their lives. It was so sad that the writers had to write Gary out of the show. Why did he have to kill a bird? I think Phoebe and him are great together. I love their scenes!
  • Why I love this episode

What can I say about this episode, its just anazing! I loved it when I was a kid and I still love it now. There is some great lines it this episode. They are so funny. Every character was great in the Episode. "The dropper" a.k.a Chandler was at his best in this episode because he says its hard catching a ball being sarcastic and he nearly drops it, so funny. All in all this episode is one of my favourites in the whole of Friends. It always makes me laugh every time I watch it and its just an awesome episode.
  • a very good episode

Rachel buys a psychotic sphinx cat because her grandmother had a lovely one, but in the end she sells it to gunther for twice the price. and Phoebe learns that Gary is going to ask her to move in with him so she tells chandler to talk him out of it but he is useless telling him to go for it. Ross and Joey start throwing a ball while they are bored but it changes from a time filler to a super competitive obsession when Monica joins in and do it for days with chandler "the dropper" . pheobe moves in with gary but he shoots a bird and she leaves him and accidently ruins the ball throwing game. lol ha ha ha ha lol.
  • one of my favorite episodes

this episode is hilarious. i love the whole ball thing its great but the best part is at the end and they throw the ball to phoebe and phoebe just puts it down. also there is the rachel thing with the uglist freaking cat i have ever scene and she becomes afraqid of the monster and sells it to gunther. and then the phoebe and gary thing well not that funny but chandler tryting to talk him out of it gave me a chuckle. ok so i knoiw this was just a filler but i did love it. and im two words short so la la la la la!
  • Hilarious!

I'm a complete fan of this episode. I laugh so hard practically in the whole episode. The storyline about the cat that is totally funny. "It's not a cat" and "Why is it inside out?" LOL... So awesome. And when someone ask Rachel "Baking it didn't help?" because she was wearing an oven glove red oven mitt to protect herself from the "cute" little cat.
    And the whole thing about the ball is very nice, especially the "Don't switch hands, okay?" and the part where Monica freaks out about nothing and Chandler says "Yeah, you almost overreacted to something.".
    There are so many hilarious things about this, you just have to see it to get the real picture.
  • Just great, clever comedy here!

"The One with the Ball" doesn't offer any hilarious flashback sequences, doesn't comment on any Ross-Rachel fun, and steers away from the Monica-Chandler relationship, which was so much a focal point of season 5, but what it does offer is just great, comedic fun. Rachel goes a little crazy and decides to buy a $1,000 cat, which doesn't even come with hair and is even mistaken for some kind of snake. The cat turns out to be a nightmare as it brutally scratches Rachel and apparentally even hisses her name. Gary decides to ask Phoebe to move in with him, to Phoebe's dismay at first, but she soon excitedly accepts the offer...until she witnesses Gary's bizarre morning behavior. Most of the episode's fun comes from a time-wasting game that Joey and Ross started, playing catch with a cotton-stuffed mini ball, but after they realize they've been throwing it back and forth for an hour without dropping it, the game sucks in Monica and Chandler and the four decide to keep playing catch until one of them happens to drop it. Like I said, there really isn't much to the episode, just great writing and great fun!