Friends

The One with the Birth Mother

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2004 on NBC

• This is probably one of the best episodes in the series entire 10 year run solely due to continued depth Matthew Perry brings to the role of Chandler Bing

When the series first started, I was amazed at how well the actors and writers knew these characters from the first scene. Perhaps Joey got a little dimmer with each passing season or Phoebe became more political. But the characters were always well rooted. They were always real!

This brings me to the character of Chandler Bing who is the most consistently funny characters ever created. Thanks in large part goes to Matthew Perry because any lesser actor would have made this character invisible. The beauty of Matthew Perry is that as sarcastic and homophobic as Chandler Bing is, he equally can be spot on when the charcaters experience stark reality. Both Ross and Joey have their sincere moments as well, but it\'s almost expected in the scene. Those moments tend to be more melodramatic. But Matthew Perry is brilliant in making these moments seem very simple. Very honest. Very real.

This episode crystalizes the entire essence of Chandler and his only reason for happiness. Monica. In that final scene with Erica as we hear Chandler painstakingly define how important Monica is to him, we never see any crescendos. No moments of melodrama. No actors tricks. It was said as if any of us would have said that about the person we love. And that is Matthew Perry\'s brilliance.