Friends

The One with the Birth Mother

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2004 on NBC

• The episode that introduces Erica as the birth mother of Chandler and Monica's future children and shows Joey in a pretty poor light.

7.3
    This is pretty much a mediocre episode lifted solely by the Birth Mother storyline. The storyline of Joey not sharing food was pretty silly, and pretty much hurt his character. Joey is suppose to be this sweet, gentle and loyal kind of guy and the silliness of him not sharing food which is freshly invented because he has shared food on many occasion with other friends and other people, and I don't think he would stop Emma from eating from his plate. I can understand his attachment to Hugsy since it was his childhood pal but this seems to spiteful and Joey is far from that.

Ross's storyline of wearing Rachel's cloth was dumb too and a little unrealistic since Ross is much much more larger than her, but still was pretty passable and the credit scene with Joey not sharing food was actually funny unlike the rest of Joey scenes in this episode.

But the show stealer was Chandler who delivered one of the most terrific, tear jerking speech to Erica convincing her to let him and Monica have the baby. Especially when he tells 'She is a mother without a baby', I was close to tears for the first time in any television show (I haven't cried much in my life, maybe because i am dead inside :p). You can actually feel emphatically with Chandler and Monica's predicament and their joy when Erica consents to give the baby.