Friends

The One with the Blackout

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 03, 1994 on NBC

• The Blackout

Man I wish I was in Chandler's position when it happened I think the Blackout favored him the most he got to spend hours with Jill Goodacre and Ross lost the girl to a Italian guy when he failed to make his move and don't forget about the Cat attacking him to We learn Ross gets kicked out of Disneyland and Phoebe thinks Milwaukee is a weird place This episode proved that Blackouts bring people together
  • Great

There's a blackout in the city, Chandler gets stuck in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre, and Ross attempts to tell Rachel that he has feelings for her. This was one of the funniest episodes of the first season of Friends. Chandler was brilliant in this one. Rachel was funny with Paulo. Ross was funnier the bit with the cat and where he Joey and Rachel listen for a noise. Joey and Chandler on the phone all good stuff and Mr Heckles made a appearence which was good. I am going to give this episode of Friends a high 9 out of 10
  • Awesome.

During a power outage, Rachel falls for the owner of a lost kitten, a dark, attractive Italian guy. Meanwhile, Chandler is trapped in an automated-teller vestibule with Jill Goodacre. What can I say about this episode? I mean it was awesome, I love every minute of this episode every time I watch it. It's so funny with Chandler trapped in a vestibule with Jill. I love this episode so much, really funny. My favourite parts is when it is Chandler and Jill, when he is thinking of what to do and say, so funny. Some awesome lines and scenes in this episode. I also love when Ross is trying to tell Rachel his feelings for her, it is so cute.
  • Best episode of Season 1!

A really good conception, a blackout in New York, a bunch of plots could amazingly fit well in there. Paulo is introduced unfortunately. And Ross admits that he has feelings for Rachel! And it sucks just when he's about to admit it, the cat ruins his life, which is the best scene cause when the gang is singing the Carpenters song & he's being attacked by the cat, hysterical. The subplot with Chandler was amazing, he's trapped in an ATM vestibule with a model named Jill Goodacre. I like how she turned out really nice at the end after Chandler was choking, anyway in my opinion this is the best episode of Season 1, only because so many funny moments happens!
  • Chandler: You know, on second thought, gum would be perfection. (Thinking) Gum would be perfection? Gum would be perfection. Could have said, gum would be nice, or, I'll have a stick, but no no no no. For me, gum is perfection. I loathe myself.

• Chandler is amazing in this episode!

This episode is classic.

I love it when Chandler gets stuck in the ATM Vestibule with Jill Goodacre and calls the gang to tell them this news, but he can't be too obvious given that she is right next to him... so he mumbles it down the phone and Joey is the only one who gets what he's saying.... and then mumbles back when he clearly doesn't have to!

The part when Ross gets attacked by the cat while trying to tell Rachel about his feelings for her is brilliant as well, when the camera cuts to inside the appartment and you can see Ross outside on the balcony thrushing around with a cat stuck to his back... brilliant!

Chandler: You know, on second thought, gum would be perfection. [thinking]'Gum would be perfection'? 'Gum would be perfection.' Could have said, 'gum would be nice,' or, 'I'll have a stick,' but no-no-no-no-no. For me, gum is perfection. I loathe myself.
  • "I'm in a automated-teller vestibule with Jill Goodacre"-Chandler Bing.

During a power outage, Rachel falls for the owner of a lost kitten, a dark, attractive Italian guy. Meanwhile, Chandler is trapped in an automated-teller vestibule with a gorgeous model. This is an excellent episode I really liked the first series but many fans of Friends think season one was the weaker season out of the ten, TOWT Blackout was great I loved Ross's story the best part with the cat, I also loved Chandler being trapped, it was perfection LOL it was great when Chandler was on the phone with Joey, This was my best episode of the season closly followed by TOWT Poker.
  • One of the best and funniest episodes of the entire series without a doubt. Why? Matthew Perry.

Matthew Perry proves exactly why Chandler Bing is such a loved and funny character in the show, perhaps the most well-liked character too. I know he's definitely my favorite. Matthew has this rare ability to be either incredibly funny or incredibly serious or incredibly romantic. Whichever one he reverts to, you totally believe him as he plays it.

The Blackout is a standout episode of Friends, and given that this is such an early episode, and there are 10 years of episodes, this is an amazing achievement. The writing is on absolute top form, in fact it couldn't be better if it tried. So, much credit to the writers (I believe it was the same ones who wrote the Poker episode which was another standout). Includes possibly the funniest quote ever on the show: "On second thought, gum would be perfection."

The really great thing is the way in which the Chandler scenes are constructed. He's trapped during the blackout in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre, and we hear Matthew's voiceover which reveals his thoughts as Chandler stands around uneasily near this other woman trapped with him. EVERY word that comes out of Chandler's mouth is pure comedy genius. I've never laughed so hard than seeing him in this episode. To add to this, the rest of the gang at Monica's apartment make the episode fantastic too. Whether it be Phoebe playing guitar, or Ross being jealous of Rachel's Italian new man Paolo ... you name it. This is a classic Friends episode.
  • Considering this is a Season 1 episode, its abosolutely fantastic.

This episode it so funny. Chandler gets locked in a vestibule with Jill Goodacre (a beautiful celebrity) and Monica, Phoebe, Rachel Joey and Ross are all stuck in Monica's appartment due to the blackout. This is a fantastic Ross and Rachel episode. I love it when Ross is trying to tell Rachel what he thinks of her, and the cat jumps on his head whilst the rest of the gang sing 'Top of the World'. I also love Paolo's unfortunate appearence (for Ross anyway) in this episode. The best thing about this episode has to be Chandler locked in the vestibule. It is incredibly funny, hearing his thoughts as he tries to impress Jill. Overall, a fantastic episode, especially considering how early on it is.
  • During a power outage, Rachel falls for the owner of a lost kitten, a dark, attractive Italian guy. Meanwhile, Chandler is trapped in an automated-teller vestibule with a gorgeous model. (DVD Summary)

This episode is Matthew Perry's favorite episode in the series and I can see why. A hilarious idea, the NBC Blackout Thursday was used in every show's plot, but Friends was the best. Although the power outage interrupted our first chance to see Phoebe's show, her funny improvisations throughout the episode more than make up for it. Also, the necessary plot of Rachel falling for someone other than Ross prolonging the start of their relationship was introduced through the Italian Paolo. Last, but certainly not least, is Chandler trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre. Chandler's inner monologue is the funniest part of the entire episode. A series classic.
  • Fabulous

This is the 7th episode of Friends, and of the 1st season. The main storylines in this episode are; There's a blackout in New York City. Chandler is trapped in an ATM vestibule with a supermodel called Jill Goodacre during the blackout, he can't believe his luck and this makes for some very funny moments. Meanwhile the rest of the gang are in the building during the blackout. Phoebe has her first song, one of the more memorable ones. While in the building, Ross gets attacked by a cat. Phoebe and Rachel hunt down the owner, while they do this we are introduced to Mr Heckles, their weird neighbour. They find the owner of the cat, a sexy italian hunk called Paolo who Rachel goes out with, depsite not being able to understand a word he says. Over all, one of the best Friends episodes with some of the best lines.
  • Great!

This episode is great, I love it. I think i started liking Chandler more from this episode and onwards. He is really funny in this episode and think it is funny when he is on the phone to Monica and she doesnt understand but when Joey is on the phone he understands. It must be some sort of guy code lool. I properly laughed and the most in this episode. Before this I had laughed but not as much. Its also funny when Joey bought in the Chanukia for candles bgecause he didnt have anything else. Overall I think it was a great episode and very entertaining!
  • Aren't blackouts fun? Yes!

One of my all time favorite episodes. There's a city wide blackout. Chandler is locked in an ATV vestibule with a Victoria's Secret model, Rachel finds a lost cat, and Phoebe starts a sing-a-long. We learn Monica can sing pretty good. =) Joey talks Ross into admitting he has a thing for Rachel, but while trying to find the owner of the lost cat, she meets Paulo. Things can't seem to get much more humiliating for poor Ross. But it all ends up to be a very funny episode. And it's always fun to see the characters in a not so every-day sort of situation.
  • "New York City has not power and the milk is getting sour but to me it is not scary cause I stay away from dairy!"

This is a good episdoe! The power is out all over the city and the gang gets together in Monica's apartment. Chandler gets stuck in an ATM vestibule with a super model named Jill Goodacre. It's so funny when he calls to tell them where he is and who he's with when he mumbles it under his breath and joey is the only one who can understand him. Ross trys to tell Rachel about his feelings for her but is attacked by a cat. When Rachel and Phoebe try to find the owner Rachel meets Paolo who later Ross calls Rigatoni.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • GREAT!! LOVE IT!!

this episode is one of the funniest in the first season and one of my all time favourites. this is exactly why i watch this show. in this episode there is a blackout all over new york and ross almost tells rachel how he feels but then i cat got in the way and they found his owner which rachel ends up going out with and also chandler get's stuck in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre which she thinks he is weird at first but and up making friends. i though that this plot was very well written and i love it.
  • A classic!

"Gum Would be Perfection" No matter how many times I watch this episode I cannot help but laugh histerically. It doesn't grow old!

Just as Phoebe is about to break out with song, the entire city of New York loses power. Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Ross and Joey, head back to Monica and Rachels apartment while Chandler gets stuck in an ATM vestibule. Much to his surprise stuck there with him is a Victoria Secret Model - Jill Goodacre. Chandler being Chandler he creeps her out at first, but after she saves him from chocking on somebody elses gum they have a "Great Blackout" together. Ross is devestated when Rachel falls for a non-english speaking Italian.
  • LOL!

'I am in a ATM Vestuble with Jill Goodaker' LOL! Chandler kill sit! In this episode there is a blackout just as Pheobe is about to start singing with her Guitar in Centrel Perk.

The gang go back to Monica's and there Ross attempts to tell Rachel about how he feels about her but is interupted by a VERY cute cat. This cat belongs to a HOT italian lover who Rachel falls for - much to Ross's dissapointment and anger! And Chandler gets stuck in an ATM Vestuble with Jill Goodaker where he managed to choke on chewing gum! !
  • awesome

Just as Phoebe's about to sing miserable folk songs at Central Perk, New York has a blackout. The gang returns to Monica and Rachel's apartment, where Ross is about to tell Rachel he likes her but insnt really with the words and tries all night. Meanwhile, Chandler is stuck in an ATM vestibule with Victoria's Secret model Jill Goodacre, whom he desperately tries to impress but when it comes to chandler he really hasnt got a way with the ladies and litteraly ends up nearly dying. lastly at the end of the night the lights come back on and reveals much to ross' horror rachel kissing the sexy(who really isnt) italian guy.
  • The Joey, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica must make do in Monica's apartment during a blackout. Meanwhile, Chandler is stuck in an ATM vestibule with supermodel Jill Goodacre.

This is one of my favorite episodes! It had a nice blend of comedy and a hint of drama.

The comedy came from the blackout itself. They had to resort to fun games to entertain themselves. They each revealed the strangest place they had sex. It was fun to watch them interact under different circumstances, but still stay the same (if that makes sense!)

Another great piece was Chandler in the ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre. His "gum would be perfection" was hilarious! It was neat how at the end they came to enjoy each other's presence in the blackout, and were less-than-thrilled that the power came back on.

The drama came in the form of the Ross, Rachel, and Paulo triangle. Ross was about to reveal his feelings for Rachel, until Paulo foiled his plans. It was saddening to see Ross get so close but to get pushed aside.

Overall, a fantastic episode!
  • A blackout occurs and Ross is about to tell Rachel he likes her. Meanwhile, Chandler is stuck in an ATM vestibule with model Jill Goodacre, whom he really tries to flatter.

Classic episode of Friends where the gang is caught in a surprise blackout that is city wide. Ross decides to tell Rachel how he really feels but losses his chance when Palo shows up and Rachel falls for him. Chandler gets stuck in an ATM room with a model, Jill Goodacre. He really tries to flatter this girl but fails everytime. He gets his line "Gum would be prefection" when asked if he would like some gum by the model Jill Goodacre. Overall is an amzing episode that should be watched by all and cherished for such great quality .
  • Candles everwhere....

This episode is one of the best from Season 1, incorporating a true event from NY, the major blackout.

The 5 friends are in Monica's apartment, and Chandler is stuck in an ATM Vestibule with Jill Goodacre.

The whole Chandler and Jill storyline is so funny due to Chandler's failing attemps in flirting with Jill. I couldn't stop laughing when spit his gum out and picked someone else's gum and chews it, and when he says "Gum would be perfection".

Ross tries to ask Rachel out, with Joey's support, but a cat gets in the way, which leads to Rachel meeting Paolo, evil evil Paolo. The scene with Ross flailing about with the cat on his back is hilarious!

Overall great episode.

• "Newwww York City has no power...."

"....annnnnd the milk is getting sour,
    buuuuut to me it is not scary,
    cuuzz I stay away from dairy...
    (pause)
    La laaaa lalalalalala laaaaa..."

This episode is one of the best of the first season, especially with Phoebe's quirky song. LOL Also, when Phoebe meets Paolo for the first time, he speaks in Italian with her saying "You betcha!" Very funny! This is such a good episode also because it focuses on the six (in this case five) Friends together as it brings in a very real event in a big city with the power going out. Even though Chandler isn't with them, the storyline with him is great too in the vestibule.
  • Blackout out in New York city

This is a totally awesome episode. In the episode a blackout occurred. During that time Joey, Ross, Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe were talking about the weirdest place they ever had sex. Also Chandler is stuck in a atm vestibule with a victoria secret model named Jill Goodacre. This is the part that I had most fun watching. At the beginning Chandler was really shy and he said one of the funniest thing ever \"Gum would be perfection\". Who the heck would ever say that. A few minutes later Chandler started to choke and Jill Goodacre saved him. That is when he was finally able to talk to her and they actually had a good time. This is a good episode that people should watch
  • I really found this episode to be a way above normal episode of friends. It was a great episode.

I loved this episode. I liked how we could listen in on Chandler\'s thoughts. The things that happened in this episode and how the writers took of with them were great. My favorite storyline would have to be Chandler\'s. We never got to hear and singing out of Phobebe which sucked because her singing is always a hoot. The situatuion between Ross and Rachael i think really started to take off this episode. I didn\'t really get how he could tell Pablo to back off when Racheal was fair game. I mean Ross and Rachael were just friends. It was a very funny episode. I would recommmend this episode and will most likely watch it again.
  • This is my favorite episode.

I really like this episode because it shows Chandler's weakness for a beautiful woman. I like to see a gorgous guy struggle for words when he wants to talk to someone that interests him. I think it is kind of sexy. Chandler is my favorite character on this show and the reason I started watching "Friends" and I plan to keep watching until I see every episode. I am sure I will find more episodes that I like but for the time, I am going to mark this one as my favorite. The kiss Jill gave him at the end of the show was his reward.
  • Just perfect. One of many perfect friends episodes (spoiler)

I think this and The One the morning after (16th episode of season 3) are my favourite episodes of FRIENDS. Here we find great, wonderful comedy, acheived mainly by Chandler's character closed in an ATM vestibule with a supermodel - but all the other characters managed to give their own contribute to the comedy of this episode too- and we also find great romance in "Friends First Season-style", Ross is trying to tell Rachel how he feels about her but something (a cat and its italian owner, Paolo) get in his way. A great and enjoyable performance, there are no excuses: you have to watch this one!
  • New York City is blacked out...

New York City is blacked out (due to a mishap on Mad About You). Chandler is trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre. The rest of the gang hangs out at Monica and Rachel's apartment. Ugly Naked Guy lights a bunch of candles and has a slight accident. While trying to share his feelings with Rachel, Ross is attacked by a cat. While searching for the cat's owner, Rachel and Phoebe meet "the Weird Man", known in later episodes as Mr. Heckles. He tries to claim the cat, but it obviously isn't his. The cat turns out to belong to Paolo, an Italian hunk who lives in the building and doesn't speak much English.
  • A blackout in NY.

And here comes the only blackout episode for Friends. All in all, this is quite a good episode. I really liked the Chandler story, with him being trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre, a Victoria's Secret Model. Those scenes with him being surprised are hilarious, and when he calls Joey to tell him about it, or the time when he is trying to talk to her, is even much more better. Definately one of the best episodes for Chandler. (And as I've heared, this is Matthew Perry's favorite episode.)

We meet Paulo, a man who will do a lot of trouble for Ross, who is going to be dating Rachel for a while during the first season, and a man who I really don't like, mostly because I can not wait for Ross to finally get a chance at Rachel, but I guess we're gonna have to wait for that one for some time. The episode is written very good, although Phoebe, Monica and Joey don't have much to do in the episode, but they are filling in the blanks between the Chandler/Jill, and Ross/Rachel story pretty good. :-)
  • One of the top-ten

Just as Phoebe\'s about to sing miserable folk songs at Central Perk, New York has a blackout. The gang returns to Monica and Rachel\'s apartment, where Ross is about to tell Rachel he likes her. Meanwhile, Chandler is stuck in an ATM vestibule with Victoria\'s Secret model Jill Goodacre, whom he desperately tries to impress.

This episode is one of the most famous, well known episode of Friends there is. Absolutely hilarious and never before had this idea been put-forward in such a clean, clever manner.
< 1 2