Friends

The One with the Blackout

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 03, 1994 on NBC

• One of the best and funniest episodes of the entire series without a doubt. Why? Matthew Perry.

Matthew Perry proves exactly why Chandler Bing is such a loved and funny character in the show, perhaps the most well-liked character too. I know he's definitely my favorite. Matthew has this rare ability to be either incredibly funny or incredibly serious or incredibly romantic. Whichever one he reverts to, you totally believe him as he plays it.

The Blackout is a standout episode of Friends, and given that this is such an early episode, and there are 10 years of episodes, this is an amazing achievement. The writing is on absolute top form, in fact it couldn't be better if it tried. So, much credit to the writers (I believe it was the same ones who wrote the Poker episode which was another standout). Includes possibly the funniest quote ever on the show: "On second thought, gum would be perfection."

The really great thing is the way in which the Chandler scenes are constructed. He's trapped during the blackout in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre, and we hear Matthew's voiceover which reveals his thoughts as Chandler stands around uneasily near this other woman trapped with him. EVERY word that comes out of Chandler's mouth is pure comedy genius. I've never laughed so hard than seeing him in this episode. To add to this, the rest of the gang at Monica's apartment make the episode fantastic too. Whether it be Phoebe playing guitar, or Ross being jealous of Rachel's Italian new man Paolo ... you name it. This is a classic Friends episode.