Friends

The One with the Cheap Wedding Dress

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2001 on NBC

• Great episode; shows how much Monica cares about Chandler. Two of the guys fight, but it's not Joey and Chandler or Ross and Chandler like usual.

This episode was pretty cool, because it was both funny AND touching.

Monica has found her perfect wedding dress, but she wants to buy it at a store that is having a sale. Unfortunately, she mentions this plan to a woman she meets at the expensive store ("Megan", played by the pretty-but-she-scares-me-for-some-reason Andrea Bendewald) while trying the dress on, and the woman tries to take Monica's dress during the sale. Phoebe and Rachel come to the rescue and Monica gets the dress, but later Monica receives a disturbing phone call: the evil woman who wants her dress has booked the band that Chandler wants for their wedding ... on the day of their wedding! Unless Monica gives her the dress, Chandler won't have his band.

Now, in plenty of previous episodes, we've seen Monica ... um ... well, frankly, we've seen her behaving selfishly in their relationship; when they moved in together, Chandler had to get rid of whatever he had that she didn't like, and it's a running joke that Chandler doesn't get to win fights now that he's in a relationship with her. Even when Chandler DOES get his way, like with his chair, Monica constantly complains about it. But this time, we see Monica really come through for Chandler, and she doesn't even tell him what's going on; she makes a sacrifice for him, and he never even knows about it. What a sweetheart that Monica is.

That's one reason I really like this episode. Another is that the story with Ross and Joey dating the same girl ("Kristen," played by the gorgeous Gabrielle Union) is just hilarious. When Chandler figures out that they're dating the same girl, and maneuvers Ross and Joey into saying her name at the same time, it's great. But the best is when Joey shows up on Ross's date and they both start using their knowledge of each other to try and convince Kristin that the other is a creepy freak. Not only is it funny, but it brings up memories of a lot of great past episodes. (And on the DVD, Matt Le Blanc says "Does a bear @#$% in the woods?" at the end of the scene, which marks the first use of that term I've ever hear on Friends, which caused me to burst out laughing when I heard it.) (By the way, I hope everybody reading this understands that, in the quote above where I said @#$%, Matt Le Blanc is actually saying the "s-word," not "at-pound-dollars-percent," but because tv.com won't allow me to write that word since it's offensive, I had to use my catch-all "bleeped-out naughty word" symbol.)

Anyway. Great episode.