Friends

The One with the East German Laundry Detergent

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 20, 1994 on NBC

• Ross and Rachel wash their dirty laundry in public! (DVD Summary)

This episode is one of my favorites from the first season. The Ross and Rachel subplot helped setup the their impending relationship for the first time. I loved Rachel's newfound confidence discovered in this episode. Her interactions with that laundry hag were hilarious. Of course Ross's awkwardness was classic. I also enjoy the Joey and Monica subplot. Once Monica discovers she is being used, she has no qualms tearing the other couple apart. I think this is the first real example of classic Monica behavior. This early episode, in my opinion, is the first classic episode. A must-see for all Friends fans.
  • Uberveiss!

This is a cute episode! THis is when we start to really see how much Ross likes Rachel. Just to be able to spend time with her he pretends he's going to do laundry at the same place that Rachel is going. He teaches her how to sort her colors from her whites and helps her stand up for her self when a woman trys to take her machine. Chandler trys to break up with Janice and isn't able to do it. So phoebe does it for him.

Joey wants to get back together with an old girlfriend and conviences monica to pose as his girlfriend so they can double date.
  • a good episode

this episode is about the relationship between rachael and ross. in this episode chanlder has trouble breaking up with his girlfriend janice and drinks about 8 expressos. meanwhile pheobe has no problem breaking up with her boyfriend so chanlder gets pheobe to brek up with janice for him. monica was going to the laundromat with racheal but she lets ross go because she knows he likes her. a the laundromat rachael is bullied by another customer. she was a laundry virgin. in the end the beat the bullt and ross and rachael share a kiss. meanwhile joey is trying to get back with his girlfriend and enlists monica's help in doing so.
  • LOL!

Oh My God! Chandler Bing, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ah, we were introduced to the infamous Janice in this episode who Chandler can't manage to break up with!

Joey tries to patch things up with an ex girlfriend but its too late because she is taken! But he has a plan and tricks Monica in to pretending to be his girlfriend! Poor Monica is oblivious to the whole plan!

Rachel who has never EVER done her own laundry before attempts to rectify that this episode with the help of ross and she does him proud! A fantastic episode! I liked!
  • Average

Chandler and Phoebe decide to break up with Janice and Tony on the same night; Phoebe's goes really well but Chandler has a harder time. Ross arranges to do laundry with Rachel and Monica; Monica cancels, leaving just the two of them; Rachel reveals she's never done laundry before... and accidentally dyes all her white clothes pink. Joey wants his ex-girlfriend (Angela) to break up with her boyfriend (Bob), so he arranges for Monica and him to double date with them... but he tells Monica that Angela and Bob are siblings. Ugly Naked Guy lays kitchen tile. Janice buys Chandler Bullwinkle socks. Rachel is so happy about her laundry experience that she kisses Ross.
  • Janice is introduced, Ross is trying to show his feeling for Rachel, and Joey and Monica plot to tear a couple apart, and keep the pieces for themselves.

After 4 great episodes, Friends continue with classical hit episodes. This is the first episode with Janice, Chandler's annoying on-and-off girlfriend, a recurring star through the entire show. Chandler is trying to break up with her, and we get to see just how weird Janice is, and the connection between her and Chandler is actually reaaaly funny, just like it will be in the future episodes.

Athough he's kept his feelings for Rachel hidden for some time now, Ross is planning to tell her about it, when he goes to the laundry room to do some laundry with Rachel, who is a total laundry-virgin, and the series of unfortunate events, from a boring lady, to Ross hiting his head on the machine-door, those scenes are full of good laughs too. And we also see how is Rachel learning to live her life as other people, who don't depend on their parents' money.

The scenes with Joey and Monice are also very funny. First it's great when Monica discovers that Joey was lying to her about the couple being siblings, and it's greater later when they tear the couple (Joey's ex-girlfriend, and her new boyfriend) apart, and keep the pieces for themselves. All in all, another good episode of Friends.
  • This is the first episode of Friends where they use the device of splitting the friends into three groups of two - and then the three plotlines are followed throughout the show.

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes of Friends, although it's slightly difficult to explain just why. As I mentioned, the group splits up: Ross and Rachel go off to do laundry; Joey tricks Monica into going out on a double date; and Chandler and Phoebe decide to break up with their present girlfriend and boyfriend at the same place in order to give support to one another.

There are many classic lines from this show, as well as many firsts. It's the first pseudo date between Ross and Rachel; it's the first of numerous break-ups that Chandler endures with Janice; and it is really the first show that emphasizes how well, how smoothly the characters play against each other.

Of course, there are a few elements that come up in this show that are rarely seen again: the match-ups of Chandler/Phoebe and Joey/Monica only sporatically reappear over the ten years of the show; Joey's ability to understand the reference to Appalachia is unusual to say the least.

Overall, however, this episode is a joy from the beginning to the end (where Chandler, having downed perhaps 10-12 espressos throughout his break-up process with Janice, is running through the streets screaming "I'm free, I'm free!!)

Don't miss it.
  • Very good.

This is the 5th episode of Friends, and also the 5th episode of the first season. It is a really memorable episode and very funny. In this episode, the main storylines are; Chandler and Phoebe both want to break up their relationships, with Janice and Tony which they manage to do, although Phoebe's break up is a lot more successful than Chandler's. Rachel and Ross do laundry together, Ross teaches her. Monica and Joey try to break up a couple, so they can keep the peices for themselves and they succeed. A good line - Rachel: Okay, you caught me. I'm a laundry virgin.

Ross: Uh, well, don't worry, I'll use the gentle cycle.
  • The beginning of the Ross loves Rachel but Rachel is too clueless to see installment that fills most of season 1. It is the beginning of the sexual tension.

The episode at the laundromat is hilarious. Granted it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. This episode is what starts the whole Ross adoring Rachel from afar plot-line. Up until this episode, we didn't care much about Rachel and Ross. But Ross' affection for her are clear and this episode helps lock the audience's desire for a romance to occur between the two of them. Her cluelessness about his affection and his inability to reveal his feelings drive this episode as the two perform laundry together while battling an old battle-axe of a woman who gets in the way of Rachel trying to exert independence in her life.
  • Ah, Ross!!!

I love this episode purely for the face that I could watch the part when Ross walks into the open washing machine door and than falls down after he kisses Rachel! That is something that I can watch time and again, literally every time I watch it I laugh so hard!!

I love it!

Also I love the part where Monica agrees to go out with Joey so he can win his girlfriend back, but tells Monica that her boyfriend is actually his girlfriends brother!

Love this quote too,

Chandler: So... Saturday night, the big night. Date night. Saturday night, Sa-tur-day night!
    Joey: No plans, huh?
    Chandler: Not a one.

A great episode that I could watch time and time again!
  • Awesome.

Ross and Rachel wash their dirty laundry in public. Awesome episode. Ross and Rachel's "first date" type thing. I just love Ross and Rachel, the first time I watched it I was like get together already but I'm glad they haven't yet. (I know I have seen it before but you know.) I love this episode so much. I also love this episode because of Chandler and Phoebe break up together. I love that scene, always has me laughing. I also love the opening scence before the music comes on, it's so funny. A couple of greta lines just in the opening scence never mind the whole episode. I love it.
  • Rachel: Come on! You guys can pee standing up. Chandler: We can? All right, I'm trying that.

• ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • Joey wants to be back together with his exgirlfriend he broke up with so he makes Monica pose as his new girlfriend. Ross helps Rachel with her laundry. Chandler has a hard time ending it with his current girlfriend Janice.

A true Friends classic . Ross and Rachel having something going for them for the first time in the series. We knew Ross has loved Rachel for practicially his entire life but it never appear as though Rachel has . . . ever . Janice is herself . . . funniest supporting person for Friends . . . that I can think of right now . I also like how Joey's former girlfriend thought that Monica and Joey were siblings ( I think of what I remember ) . Go watch it it's amazingly awesome ! ! ! ! !
  • One of the most requested episodes on E4 Television.

Joey wants to get back together with a former girlfriend he dumped, so he tricks Monica into posing as his new gal pal. Ross helps Rachel, a laundry virgin, do her first load of wash. And Chandler has a difficult time breaking up with his annoying girlfriend, Janice.

The first appearence of Janice and Rachel's encounted with the laundramath at her laundry block in her building.

Classic Episode - Watch Janice compare her to latest episode.
  • Great

This is the one where Joey tries to make an old girlfriend jealous and tricks Monica into posing as his new girlfriend, Ross teaches Rachel how to do laundry, and Chandler recruits Phoebe to break up with Janice for him. A great episode with a lot of development with Ross and Rachel, Loved the part where Rachel argued with that horrible lady and then kissed Ross, his reaction was very funny. Chandler was funny when he had too much coffee and then he hit Janice by accident and the parts with CHnadler and Ross talking about washing . I give this episode a 9 out of 10
  • Janice is introduced.

This episode was so amazing, Ross & Rachel share their first kiss, that must be uplifting to all of the Ross & Rachel fans! Anyways the episode starts out simple with Rachel learning to do laundry with Ross but when she messes up & that lady kept on bothering her, they work everything out & Ross gets rewarded with a kiss! What must be embarrassing is having your head get hit after you kiss a girl. The subplot Chandler & Phoebe breaking up together & one of my favorite guest stars is introduced, Janice! Chandler has a billion espressos before & when he did, she didn't handle it so well, but when Phoebe did it she magically understood. The C plot with Monica & Joey them going on double dates but what she thinks is that she's on a date with the boyfriend of the girl who Joey wants to get who she is her brother which triggers funny moments, like incest questions?! And finally they both get what they want. An amazing episode.
  • The coming of Rachel

The One With The East German Laundry Detergent is such a classic episode. It starts the complete Rachel & Ross story... You can tell from the begining that they're going to get together at some time... but it's cleverly adapted so that nothing can happen... well yet. As we all know that it'll happen some time because Rachel is Ross' lobster! It also features a great perfomance from a guest star, not sure her name, but it's the woman in the laundry shop place, she's great. And i love her clothes and the way she treats Rachel!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a brand new woman!"
  • very funny

7.6
    Joey wants to get back together with a former girlfriend he dumped, so he tricks Monica into posing as his girlfriend so he can double date with his ex girlfriend and new boyfriend when monica finds out they plot to break them up. Ross helps Rachel, a laundry virgin, do her first load of wash which does not go well and doesnt help rachels inepent spree. And Chandler has a difficult time breaking up with his annoying girlfriend, Janice so asks phoebe to help.
  • Joey tricks Monica, so that she can help him get back to his former girlfriend. Ross helps Rachel doing her first load of wash and Chandler is in trouble trying to break up with his girlfriend Janice.

Joey is in love with his former girlfriend Angela again, but she already has a boyfriend. To impress her, he tricks Monica to act as his new girlfriend. Since Monica is going out with Joey,Rachel is alone to do her first laundry, and Ross offers himself to help. Chandler says to him it's a date, and Ross tries to impress Rachel,but to do that, he has to do a revolution in his launry. And Chandler is passing through a difficult time breaking up with his annoying girlfriend, Janice, when she is trying to show she loves him very, very much.