Friends

The One with the Fake Monica

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 1995 on NBC

• One of the worst episodes of Friends. Some of the clip episodes are better than this!

5.9
    Well, this episode isn't actually 'bad', but it's not very good for Friends's standards, but I guess this was season 1.

Monica's storyline was the worst. It was a creative and intelligent plot, and gave Monica a bit of character development, but seriously, who would discover that someone has stolen their credit card and decide to take tap-dancing lessons with them? The tap-dancing class was the funniest part of the girls' storyline though.

Joey's storyline was fairly funny. The names were good, and him not knowing who Stallin was almost like seeing the season 5-10 Joey, which is only a good thing of course.

Ross's storyline was also funny at one or two parts. His farewell to his monkey was done relatively well and I thought the animal-circus guy was very funny.

Overall, I think only 60% of the episode is worth watching, so I've given it a '6'.
  • Awesome.

When Monica's credit card is stolen, she, along with Phoebe and Rachel, decides to catch the thief, but Monica begins a friendship with her. Joey enlists his friends to help him come up with a less ethnic-sounding stage name. And when Ross finds out that Marcel has reached sexual maturity and needs to be with other monkeys, he tries to get him accepted into the "Harvard of zoos", with an emotional goodbye. I have never really enjoyed this episode mostly because of the person who plays the fake monica, she really annoys me, however I'm still going to give it a nine because no episode from Friends can actually be rated under a nine in my personal opinion. Some funny jokes in this episode which helps it out.
  • OKish

When Monica's credit card is stolen, she, along with Phoebe and Rachel, decide to catch the thief. Joey enlists his friends to help him come up with a less ethnic-sounding stage name. And when Ross finds out that Marcel has reached sexual maturity and needs to be with other monkeys, he tries to get him accepted into the Harvard of zoos. A quick slump in quality in season one of the show but this was better than the episode it followed. The stage name joke was funny Chandler was great telling Joey to call himself Stalin. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
  • Goodbye Marcel.

Gosh, I think this episode was downright sad. Seeing Marcel leave the show after trying so hard to get him back, it would seem like it was just a whole waste of time in "The One When The Monkey Gets Away" But I guess that is the sad part about it. Seeing Marcel in that cage, that was so sad. The Monica plot line was definitely strange. I like all the tap dancing scenes. Poor Fake Monica had to go to prison. Well now Monana is going to do something with her life. (No that was not a typo) Joey picking a stage name, eh.
  • Monica's Credit Card Is Stolen, She Tries To Find The Thief, Joey Gets The Gang To Think Of A New Stage Name, Ross Has To Give His Monkey Up.

When Monica Discovers Her Credit Card Is Stolen, She Tries To Track Down The Thief, It Turns Out It Is A Dutch Woman, Who Is The 'Fake Monica'.
    Joey Gets The Gang To Think Of A New Stage Name For Him, He Wants To Be Called Joseph Stalin. Ross Finds Out He Has To Give His Monkey Up Because It Is Reaching Sexual Maturity, He Tries To Get The Monkey Into A Top Zoo.
    The Fake Monica Storyline Was Great, So Funny How Monica Complains That The Other Monica Spent Her Money, And Doesn't Have Her Mother! Ross Giving Marcel Up Was Sad.
  • Pretty Good

A really good episode, top in season 1. The main people in the episode are Ross and Monica. Monica discovers that someone has been stealing her credit card and her identity and goes on a mission to find out who it is, following them to all the places that have been charged to her credit card. Meanwhile, Ross tried to find a good zoo for Marcel when he finds out that he has reached sexual maturity and can't be kept as a pet anymore. Also, Joey tries to find a less ethnic sounding stage name with some really quite funny consequences.
  • I really like THE ONE WITH THE FAKE MONICA

I really like The One With the Fake Monica

The One With the Fake Monica is a reason proving exactly why I watch this series, Friends, the best sitcom, in my opinion, to ever be on television (Seinfeld being the second best). This is show is funnier every time you watch it (along with all of the other Friends episodes, except, maybe, the pilot or the clip episodes, I don't really like clip episodes for any series, cause I've already seen everything in it)
    Funny Funny Funny Funny Funny
    Funny Funny Funny Funny Funny
    Yeah, so watch this episode along with all the other ones because it is so
    Funny!
  • Very good

When Monica's credit card is stolen, she, along with Phoebe and Rachel, decide to catch the thief and go to a tap dancing class hoping to meet her. Joey enlists his friends to help him come up with a less ethnic sounding stage name than Joey and falls for Chandlers suggestion of Joseph Stalin. And when Ross finds out that Marcel has reached sexual maturity and needs to be with other monkeys, he tries to get him accepted into the Harvard of zoos and meets some strange people. Mean while Monica be friends the woman who stole her credit card.
  • aw...

Ross finally says bye to Marcel because he has finally reached sexual maturity and needs to be incarcerated with other monkeys. Ross aranges for him to get sent to a zoo.

Someone is using Monica's card to buy things of there own. She is upset when she realises ' this person is living her life' So she decides that her, rachel and pheobe must go investigating. So she finds this person and goes under the name Monana who is pensalvanian dutch but rather than catching her thief she becomes friends with her. Only problem is eventually she gets put behind bars and Monica is left to go back to her boring life...!
  • Another great installment.

The girls of the group decide to crack down on who is took Monica's credit cards. Joey trys to make everyone come up with a stage name for himself that would be a good one. Ross is forced to try and find Marcel a place for monkeys after he has reached sexual maturity. Ross tries to get him into a zoo like Harvard but has a lot of trouble doing so as it is like Harvard just a zoo form and filled with monkeys not smart young people as the Harvard students are at Harvard yes indeed they are smart.
  • An average episode with a few good areas of interest.

When Monica has her credit card stolen she decides to meet the \'Fake Monica\' at a dance class which she traced through her credit card statement. The two become great friends until, that is, Fake Monica is arrested. Marcel reaches sexual maturity and starts trying to bonk everything in site leaving Ross to make the decision of giving his pet up to a zoo. Meanwhile Joey frets over what stage name he should use.

This episode has one good hook to it: Ross\' heartbreaking decision regarding giving Marcel. That\'s it really and the other plots aren\'t really that necessary although does give way for some really good jokes here and there. In terms of comedic value the episode is fairly rich and has a great gag involving Joey\'s stage name... Joseph Stalin. So Ross\' plot is character centred whereas Joey\'s is strictly comedic... so what does that leave for Monica\'s story? Well not that much. There is the odd laughable moment here specifically seeing Monica drunk and slight degree of character development, but nothing that will be seen in a flashback episode anytime soon. The key moment however in the episode however is the final scene in which Ross and the others say goodbye to Marcel and it’s brilliantly performed.
  • Amazing

7.9

Classic. Simply Superb.
  • Monica's credit card is stolen and she goes on a mission to find the woman who has been charging items on her account. Meanwhile Ross has learned he must send Marcel to a zoo, as he has reached the age of sexual maturity.

I found this plot line to be one of the most nerve-wracking of Season 1. It had a lot of potential, but it floundered as badly as Monica's tap dancing scenes. I found it to be so outrageously erroneous in how the true character of Monica would react when she finds the woman who stole her credit card, using it very healthily. When Monica meets up with Fake Monica, she pretends to be Monana and the two become best of friends. They end up doing adventurous things that the real Monica never would do. When the fake Monica is busted by the credit card company, Monica visits her in prison to reveal her true identity and to let her know that she is not mad. Yeah right. I will admit, the scenes with Marcel were touching, and that is what helped this episode from being completely over the edge.
  • Not one of the greatest episodes since all they focus on with Ross is Marcel and all he does. Joey trying to get a stage name and Monica having more fun in her life thanks to one person?

5.8
    This episode is just another way for them to fill space when they have nothing to write about. What they should have done was make it more interesting by waiting a little bit more until they put the Marcel thing in. It just ruins the whole episode b/c when they are not there they show "Monica" and "Monona" together having fun. Then you have Joey trying to find a stage name when he doesn't really need one. All in all this episode could have been ditched since it doesn't really tell you that much except for the Marcel ordeal which shoulndn't have taken a whole episode to do.