Friends

The One with the Fake Monica

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 1995 on NBC

• Monica's credit card is stolen and she goes on a mission to find the woman who has been charging items on her account. Meanwhile Ross has learned he must send Marcel to a zoo, as he has reached the age of sexual maturity.

I found this plot line to be one of the most nerve-wracking of Season 1. It had a lot of potential, but it floundered as badly as Monica's tap dancing scenes. I found it to be so outrageously erroneous in how the true character of Monica would react when she finds the woman who stole her credit card, using it very healthily. When Monica meets up with Fake Monica, she pretends to be Monana and the two become best of friends. They end up doing adventurous things that the real Monica never would do. When the fake Monica is busted by the credit card company, Monica visits her in prison to reveal her true identity and to let her know that she is not mad. Yeah right. I will admit, the scenes with Marcel were touching, and that is what helped this episode from being completely over the edge.