Friends

The One with the Football

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 1996 on NBC

• An otherwise typical Thanksgiving Day, complete with serious sibling rivalry, both real and imagined, between Ross and Monica and Chandler and Joey. Very well done!

I was visiting my hospitalized father in New England, and had come back to the hotel with take-out food and a large "woe is me" attitude. Not expecting much, I watched this "Friends" episode, and I'm glad I did. Not many shows are laugh-out-loud hilarious, but this episode was a gem. I snorted soda through my nose during the touch-football scenes where Phoebe exposed herself to Chandler (with some success). It was all so lighthearted and utterly silly, it took my mind off my problems for the time it ran. I found the Joey/Chandler "who gets the girl?" sub-plot a bit tedious, but thanks to TiVo today, one can fast-forward through that part. Those scenes somehow had a "been there, done that" feel to them. I even went out and bought the entire season's DVD when it came out so that I could replay this episode when I'm feeling blah.